PDA

View Full Version : Micro Trains Presidential Oath Car Contest

16marvigj
19th Apr 2010, 05:05 PM
I won the Micro Trains Presidential Oath Car Contest. Check micro trains for my name!

http://www.micro-trains.com/sp-ed-PresidentOathCar.php

I will keep you posted! :):cool::smile::surprised:

CodyO
19th Apr 2010, 05:07 PM
Great job!!:g-one:
Wish I knew about it:(

16marvigj
19th Apr 2010, 05:12 PM
Cody, Enter may's! You just need to know about your presidents!

dcswift
19th Apr 2010, 05:48 PM
Congratulations on winning the contest and on your historical knowledge.

Davejb
19th Apr 2010, 08:05 PM
That's cool, Think I'll be entering this from now on!

REM37411
19th Apr 2010, 08:11 PM
That is Awesome! Great job!

BryanC (RIP)
19th Apr 2010, 08:16 PM
Speak for yourself and be very careful about political comments! They are not appreciated!

REM37411
19th Apr 2010, 08:45 PM
Speak for yourself and be very careful about political comments! They are not appreciated!

I sincerely apologize. I was speaking for nobody but myself and my last comment was merely an attempt at humor. Though I admit I am not a political activist I AM a 9 year veteran of the ARMY and a gulf war veteran and when it does come to political comments or views, I have met many people with whom I did not agree. However, I have and will defend to the death their right to have that opinion. I will simply refrain from political comment further and If my statement did in fact offend anyone I again, sincerely apologize.

16marvigj
19th Apr 2010, 09:01 PM
Here is the EMAIL I got from them:

Congratulations!

You have been randomly chosen from all the correct entries in our monthly Presidential Trivia Contest to receive a Limited Edition Presidential Oath of Office Car! Please remember that our rules state that once you have won the Oath of Office Car you are no longer eligible to win another in future months. Thanks again for participating in our contest and we hope you enjoy your new Limited Edition Car from Micro-Trains!

More updates soon!

musicman
19th Apr 2010, 09:07 PM
Congratulations!!! I looked for your name on the list but I realized I have no idea what your name is.

16marvigj
19th Apr 2010, 09:15 PM
Congratulations!!! I looked for your name on the list but I realized I have no idea what your name is.

John M from Minnesota.

CodyO
19th Apr 2010, 09:26 PM
Hahahahaha i did the same thing!!!!

Komata
19th Apr 2010, 10:56 PM
Ummmmmm

For the benefit of those of us who live somewhat 'off-shore' from the USA, and don't have the luxury of a either a President (Should we be thankful?) or a 'Presidential Oath', but understand that an 'oath' may be somewhat akin to an obscenity in some societes, could someone please explain what on earth this thread is refering to, and why, if President Obama or some other US President 'swore', it is necessary to celebrate the event?

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

REM37411
19th Apr 2010, 11:06 PM
Not gonna touch that one..............:innocent:

Darkstorm
20th Apr 2010, 03:56 AM
Ummmmmm

For the benefit of those of us who live somewhat 'off-shore' from the USA, and don't have the luxury of a either a President (Should we be thankful?) or a 'Presidential Oath', but understand that an 'oath' may be somewhat akin to an obscenity in some societes, could someone please explain what on earth this thread is refering to, and why, if President Obama or some other US President 'swore', it is necessary to celebrate the event?

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office#United_States

subwayaz
21st Apr 2010, 12:39 AM
Congrats on winning the contest. Your the first person that I've known that has won

Allegheny Pappy
23rd Apr 2010, 03:25 PM
Like they say about the lotto "Ya can't win if ya don't play"
Congratuations John!

TwinDad
23rd Apr 2010, 05:20 PM
Ummmmmm

Thanks.

Komata,

Just in case your Kiwi History classes didn't cover US governmental structure... the President is the head of the Executive Branch, and is supposed to govern the day-to-day affairs of the government... "executing" the laws that are passed by our Congress. They're roughly parallel to (but not really equivalent to) the Prime Minister and Parliament in Commonwealth countries.

The President is elected to a 4 year term, and on the day he takes office, he must take an Oath (in the "promise" sense, not the "swear" sense). The Oath is as follows:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

The extent to which any particular officeholder lives up to that oath should probably best be discussed on some other website. :)

The railroad car that 16marvigj won is emblazoned with a copy of the Oath and of the signatures of all 44 presidents (assuming it has Obama's - I didn't check). He won it by correctly answering a US history question and then being randomly selected from among the correct answerers.

Taylure
23rd Apr 2010, 07:12 PM
Congrats, good job

69Z28
23rd Apr 2010, 11:32 PM
Rem37411 Your service has, in my opinion, earned you the right to an opinion even a non funny one.

See ya
Ron

TwinDad
27th Apr 2010, 12:36 PM
Rem37411 Your service has, in my opinion, earned you the right to an opinion even a non funny one.

See ya
Ron

Absolutely agree with this.

But i've seen what happens when politics gets introduced into discussion, and it can ruin a good website.

I'd love to talk politics with you, Rem, or anybody else. I'd just rather do it somewhere else for much the same reason I leave my favorite loud rock 'n roll at home when I go to the mountains...

TwinDad
27th Apr 2010, 12:37 PM
Having said that, I think we've derailed this thread more than enough. Feel free to PM me if you like.

REM37411
27th Apr 2010, 09:16 PM
The comment I made was not meant to be taken as a political statement. It was a poor attempt at jocularity.

16MARVIGJ, I thouroughly apologize for hijacking your thread and respectfully ask the moderators to delete any post by me, other than, Congratulations and ask that all other posts referring to my comment be stricken so that from this point forward, anyone who reads this thread will share in the joy that 16MARVIGJ should feel. I think it is very cool that you won that car and I am actually a little jealous. I would love to have it in my collection.

16marvigj
27th Apr 2010, 09:43 PM
The comment I made was not meant to be taken as a political statement. It was a poor attempt at jocularity.

16MARVIGJ, I thouroughly apologize for hijacking your thread and respectfully ask the moderators to delete any post by me, other than, Congratulations and ask that all other posts referring to my comment be stricken so that from this point forward, anyone who reads this thread will share in the joy that 16MARVIGJ should feel. I think it is very cool that you won that car and I am actually a little jealous. I would love to have it in my collection.

Just enter in may!

I got # 52 out of 200!

Pictures coming soon...

TwinDad
27th Apr 2010, 10:22 PM

I'll heartily go along with this, with respect to my off-topic posts here as well (you might want to leave the Civics lesson for Komata... :)).

And REM, I hope you understand I meant no disrespect... my apologies if I came across otherwise. I was far more concerned with where the discussion might turn than with anything you in particular said. Perhaps a bit too concerned.

Komata
28th Apr 2010, 04:10 AM
(you might want to leave the Civics lesson for Komata... :)).

Ummmm - did I miss something? :( :(

TwinDad
28th Apr 2010, 07:08 AM
(you might want to leave the Civics lesson for Komata... :)).

Ummmm - did I miss something? :( :(

No. I was just sugesting that if we are to edit the thread and purge all the political back-and-forth, that we leave in your question about what is the Presidential oath and my answer, since that was both on-topic and educational.

Two Truck Shay
29th Apr 2010, 12:59 AM
Back on topic, I actually won one of these boxcars earlier this year. Congratulations and welcome to the club!

No being that into "foobies" I auctioned it for what turned out to be a stunning amount. It made it into three digits! The auction winner was happy to get it and I used the money to buy some rolling stock I could use.

Win-win! Thanks Micro-Trains!

TwinDad
29th Apr 2010, 01:02 AM
Cool, Two Truck!

I may have to get into this racket... my other "hobby" is history... :cool:

16marvigj
29th Apr 2010, 07:06 AM
Back on topic, I actually won one of these boxcars earlier this year. Congratulations and welcome to the club!

No being that into "foobies" I auctioned it for what turned out to be a stunning amount. It made it into three digits! The auction winner was happy to get it and I used the money to buy some rolling stock I could use.

Win-win! Thanks Micro-Trains!

I'm keeping mine!

DrifterNL
29th Apr 2010, 08:17 AM
Congratulations!

I'm keeping mine!

and remember not to let the factory air out :eek::D

16marvigj
1st May 2010, 11:42 PM
here are a few pictures!

TwinDad
1st May 2010, 11:44 PM
Very nice!

Is the Presidential seal part of the packaging, or what?

16marvigj
2nd May 2010, 12:06 AM
It's actually a pin! It is seperate

Jazzbass01
2nd May 2010, 11:30 AM
Very cool!!!!

quietstorm
14th May 2010, 06:40 PM
Awesome. I like that car a lot!

southern837
14th Mar 2011, 03:42 PM
I won the 85th car in October of 2010. How many are collecting the set? So far I have all of them that has been released including the engine and caboose. Just curious has anyone else inquired to micro trains if there will be a B unit? I asked a few weeks ago and was told there would not be a B. I suggested them doing a small run and offer them as a bonus to the winners of the oath of office cars. I certainly would like one offered.