PDA

View Full Version : Trolleys

NscaleTrainMan
21st Jun 2010, 09:41 PM
Why is it I can not find Trolleys in N scale with Windows and interior
that can be detailed. only seems to be brill trolleys , it would be nice to find
electric busses as well!

ranulf
21st Jun 2010, 09:55 PM
Why can't you find them? Because N scale needs a lot of weight to operate reliably. That Bachmann trolley needs every ounce it has. Model Power once had little 4 wheel trolleys wth clear windows but they were not very good runners (except at full throttle), and the mechanism inside was large so that was not a good candidate for interior detailing either.

Faller has an operating bus. You'd have to make your own pantograph for it though.

ChicagoNW
21st Jun 2010, 11:10 PM
The toughest part of modeling traction equipment is the lack of streetcar modelers. Also the equipment is very localized. Very few systems cover 20 miles in one direction. A streetcar system might cover 100 miles of track. Not like a Class 1 railroad which would cover thousands of miles. Most systems specified their own equipment, few cars resemble each other. Not like the standardization of the major railroads.

The weight is not such a problem as it is for locomotives, the streetcars do not as a rule pull other cars. The primary problem is the size of the motor. The Bachmann Briil and PCC were designed in the 70's. The Model Power trolley and Trailer were designed using technology from the 50's. If you want smaller motors in your streetcars you have to go to Japan. The good news is that that the early streetcars were copies of the American equipment or they were bought from American companies. The modern equipment is designed in Japan and exported to the world.

If you are serious about running streetcars there is a Yahoo group that specializes in running under wire. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nscaletraction/

NscaleTrainMan
21st Jun 2010, 11:12 PM
I've seen the bus, would be nice if someone had a complete faller N scale car system
at the next Big E show, I'm in the market for one.
with the trolley lead frame and weight even to the bottom of the window would be enough
then I cam cut figures in half and attach inside the trolley as if sitting, and install lighting, Would settle
for that if I had to.

ChicagoNW
21st Jun 2010, 11:28 PM
The Brawa Trolley Bus with wire and poles will run you upwards of $200. And it may not work as they have been out of production for close to 20 years.

NscaleTrainMan
22nd Jun 2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for all the information, I have to stop picking limited market hobbies :-)
My answer is to build my own trolleys from wood, with a micro motor and lead base
Project #601 :-) on my list

ChicagoNW
22nd Jun 2010, 09:43 AM
Mark

Here is a vendor that we use a lot.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

It is a very English friendly site.

What era are you modeling?
Is there a specific system you want to build?
What are the details of the streetcars you want?
Did you know that trolleys have four wheels, streetcars have eight and light rail vehicles have more?
Did you know that they are called trams outside the U.S.?
Where have you looked for information?
Why build in wood?

NscaleTrainMan
22nd Jun 2010, 10:00 AM
Mark

Here is a vendor that we use a lot.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

It is a very English friendly site.

What era are you modeling?
Is there a specific system you want to build?
What are the details of the streetcars you want?
Did you know that trolleys have four wheels, streetcars have eight and light rail vehicles have more?
Did you know that they are called trams outside the U.S.?
Where have you looked for information?
Why build in wood?

WW1 -WW2 range
No specific. any will do
yes aware about trams
Why build in wood? I like wood and the look of wood
to me a wood car looks better then plastic. I'm aware some pros can
do magic with plastic to appear as wood.

Eliphaz
22nd Jun 2010, 10:46 AM
welcome to the N scale scratch building frontier. RTR is for kids.

btw, I have a line on some more of those KD25 chassis for $21 eachincluding shipping, if anyone needs any, PM me.

ChicagoNW
22nd Jun 2010, 11:24 AM
If you don't care what system you run.

This guy pushes the Pacific Electric

http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itmidx2.htm

This guy pushes East Coast and Chicago L

http://ihphobby.tripod.com/

There are rumors of another American manufacturer building a streetcar in N scale.

Many people have replaced the Bachmann guts with a Kato B-Train Shorty or Tomix TM or KD chassis. Have you checked eBay for trams, streetcars and trolleys? If the painted people on Bachmann chassis, freak you out just paint them out or replace images you generate on the computer.

An idea I've been kicking around my head is to recast the metal chassis in clear resin. The weight thing is a red herring.

Wooden streetcars were eliminated with the proliferation of the automobile. It was judged too dangerous in an impact. Also many wooden cars contributed fuel to car barn fires or caused them.