Blog Comments

Hi new2nscale:

I read your three blog entries although I have to admit that reading the second one wasn’t easy! It is long and with no paragraphs it makes it really tough! Anyway, I did read it.

There is really not much I can comment on. You spent most of the time stating how things, from your perspective, have deteriorated over the years and how you believe it will be difficult for you to provide your children with the same benefits that you received growing up.

You don’t really seem to spend too much time talking about “your sitch”! All I can say is to hang in there and try to have a positive view about everything. Treat each day as an opportunity to enjoy your life; no matter how bad you think you have it, if you take the time to look around, there are many who have it a lot worse than you!

Interesting about your Dad! Not sure if you know but I spent several years in the RCAF as a navigator chasing submarines around the North Atlantic! They were just changing over to the unified CAF when I left. A big mistake in my opinion!
    Hey: my name is "new2nscale", and recently commented on a long blog I posted. I would be very interested in hearing your opinion re my sitch. I alluded to you in my blog, with what you are going thru, I hope you dont mind. Read my 3 posts, and comment directly or on a blog. Btw, my Dad, stll alive at 90 (just turned), was IN WW2 as a wireless air-gunner with the RCAF here in Canada. He patrolled off the coast of BC & Washington, way out in the Pacific Ocean, looking for enemy Jap submarines...I will show him what you posted about beer running ! Thanx. Oh, another btw, my wifes Mom passed away from breast cancer about 10 yrs ago now. It was hell 4 both of them...take care, new2nscale
    Quote Originally Posted by Albey25
    Is there an end in sight? All the cancer survivors that I know have eventually been able to stop their chemo. I seems like you have been enduring this for at least several months now. Best wishes to you and while it seems horrible to have to do this every couple of months, at least you are alive to do it! I am never less than amazed when I read about the advances in treatment of this dread disease. The complicated ritual you go through was arrived at by smart, dedicated people, working independently all over the world who have come up with this as a means to cure you. Think twice everyone, when someone from the American Cancer Society comes around soliciting a donation. It is the ONLY way this thing will get beat!
    well said, i was lucky and didn't need such treatments.
    Is there an end in sight? All the cancer survivors that I know have eventually been able to stop their chemo. I seems like you have been enduring this for at least several months now. Best wishes to you and while it seems horrible to have to do this every couple of months, at least you are alive to do it! I am never less than amazed when I read about the advances in treatment of this dread disease. The complicated ritual you go through was arrived at by smart, dedicated people, working independently all over the world who have come up with this as a means to cure you. Think twice everyone, when someone from the American Cancer Society comes around soliciting a donation. It is the ONLY way this thing will get beat!
    Thank You!! for posting this..........from another "Old Soldier"
    Jim Jeffries - "nscalerone"
    Personally, I prefer the term "geezer", but the sentiment is spot on!
    Thanks Bryan for the very informative WIN 8 post. When I first got my new Win 8-IE10 PC (about 5 or 6 months ago) I hated Win 8 and tried to have Win 7 reinstalled but could not do it at a reasonable price.

I've learned to work with (not love it, never happen) Win8 and hope Win8.1 (blue) will restore some of the lost Win7 functionally,

Your post provides terrific links and the data one would need to update Win8 now.

Thanks for posting it.

See ya
    Ron
    Thank you Albey25 for your comments.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to persuade you or anyone else to download Win8 and upgrade! It was more for those who have recently purchased a new PC with Win8 installed or are in the position of needing a new PC in the near future!

Indeed, if you are presently using a PC with Win7 are perfectly happy then I say “Stay with it!”. (If you are still using XP then you may want to give a little thought to upgrading. Support for XP has either ended or is about to end!)

If an upgrade to Win8 is in your future, however, you may want to hang on (if possible) until later in the year when Windows Blue (or 8.1) becomes available.

If you are buying a new PC but really want nothing to do with Win8 then you should checkout Dell – they still have some Win7 PCs available!
    Thanks for the benefit of your experience Bryan. I am quite the opposite of you. If I had my choice, I'd still be running Widows 3.1. I liked the option of dropping down into DOS and cleaning up problems. Luckily, I have a friend who LOVES new technologies, and will doubtless be all over Win 8, if he isn't already. Nothing you said there makes me want to download it and start learning to compute all over.
    Back in 2005 my wife and I went from Boston to San Jose and back on Amtrak and we'd do it again tomorrow if we could! Seeing your pics, many of which mirror ours, really brought back those memories! Thanks for posting!
    If you have not visited Bryan's Alligator Lines site you've missed a terrific MRR site. I can Highly recommend it. I still visit it several times a month to see what's new and also to research stuff I wish to do on my MRR. His many projects are well documented, with plenty of pictures, and excellent commentary. I also like his section on little "Mishaps" he encountered. Not many sites include this category and it'll save you from hitting those speed bumps.
    See ya
    Ron
    Awesome. I've always liked F-111s! I have a 1/72 model of one painted in the General Dynamics demonstrator color scheme... white with blue trim!
    Nice! The one lad could really go to town!
    Fanttic video - I've frequently seen them 'dump and burn' over Brisbane as part of a local festival. Sadly, they are out of service now. They entered service while I was still a school! - I'm retired now.
    thank you Bryan.

per mare per terram
    Bryan, I can't thank you enough for posting that. I got chills as I read it. I am a veteran of the Gulf War.

One saying I used to keep on my sig block (elsewhere not here) was, "As a soldier, though I may not agree with your opinion, I have and will defend to the death, your right to express it"

Thanks for posting that.
    I have been telling my wife, kids friends etc this for a while. They always seem to sneak stuff in.
    I have even caught viruses like this. "You must disable your fire wall to download" it mat not be in the download but it sneeks in while you are downloading.
    Adware, spyware, what ever.
    Bryan,

Glad you caught it early and got the required treatment. Good to have you back in good health!
    Just to be different, I was a Blue Orchid, 21 yrs RAAF, Supply Branch, then spent 19 yrs with the Public Service, 11 of those back with Defence, Army this time. Took up N Scale while serving in Malaysia, now retired and have dug out all the bits and pieces, amazing what a bit of glue and paint can do.

Regards
    Steve
    Thank you Bryan, Sundiesel and Diggr for your responses! To date only 92 views - I would have expected a little more!

But to just clear up one item. Sundiesel says "Just like Brian, I too was on standby for deployment to the Falklands crisis." Actually, by the time the Falklands conflict came about I was long, long gone! It was the Cuban Missile Crisis that I was involved with back in the early 60s!
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast