• CH&FR SD35 Detailing

I just ordered an undecorated Atlas SD35 that I'm going to paint up to look like this:

Attachment 23677
    (the drawing's actually an SD38 but they didn't have a SD35)

This will be my thread for documenting the detailing and painting process.

My wish list for this guy, besides the custom paint job, includes a BUNCH of stuff from BLMA:
    • Fans
    • Grab irons
    • Sun shades
    • MU hoses
    • Trainline air hoses
    • Cut Levers
    • Lift Rings
    • Windshield Wipers
    • Ditch Lights

I don't think I will necessarily be able to pick up all this stuff before doing the painting, so my first question for the experts is... which of these items need to be installed before the paint job and which can wait till after.

I'm thinking the MU hoses, wipers, cut levers, and air hoses must be installed AFTER painting because they're painted differently.

Conversely the fans grab irons, sun shades lift rings and ditch lights should be installed BEFORE painting, unless I want to touch them up after installing.

Suggestions? Comments? Words of wisdom?

Thanks!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: CH&FR SD35 Detailing started by TwinDad View original post
    Comments 135 Comments
      Bryan -
      TD, this project is coming along nicely... I've promoted this thread to the Home page... thanks for sharing.
      TwinDad -
      Thanks, Bryan!

So here's last night's progresss... may be a bit hard to see due to poor photography and tiny, tiny parts... I got the lift rings installed (sorry, no photo), grab irons and MU hoses. Also got the sun shades on the cab, though that was after I put the camera away, so they'll show up in the next update.

Untitled by BGTwinDad, on Flickr

Jazzbass01 -
      Wow!!
      Looking good.. I have 3 more you can do..
      TwinDad -
      OK, I give up.

What's the magic voodoo incantation I have to do in order to get these cut levers installed?!?!?!?!
      TwinDad -
      Aah. Got 'em. How's this so far?

All that's left now are the windshield wipers and the trainline hoses...

Oh, and the horn has taken a bit of a beating, so I might need to replace that as well. I guess I'll have to decide which one to use...
      Michael Whiteman -
      How real looking is this. Nice job TD! Now you won't be happy with the rest of your fleet.
      musicman -
      Wow! TD! This is looking really awesome. I don't think I would have the patience. Excellent work.
      TwinDad -
      Thanks, guys! The BLMA parts make this pretty easy, actually... Just a steady hand and a #80 drill bit...
      jpwisc -
      Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
      ...What's the magic voodoo incantation I have to do in order to get these cut levers installed?!?!?!?!
      The easiest way I've found is to glue the end eyelet to the frame, then thread the other three onto the cut lever. Then thread the cut lever onto the eyelet on the frame. Then work your way back from the glued one, glueing them one at a time.

The progress is looking good, I can't wait to see it in paint!
      TwinDad -
      Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
      The easiest way I've found is to glue the end eyelet to the frame, then thread the other three onto the cut lever. Then thread the cut lever onto the eyelet on the frame. Then work your way back from the glued one, glueing them one at a time.

The progress is looking good, I can't wait to see it in paint!
      That's pretty close to what I ended up doing, but better... I got all four on there, then worked them one at a time into the holes left to right. It was a real pain, but with patience they eventually went in. Next time I'll try your method... I do think yours would make it harder to let the parts go flying.

I thought the lift rings were small!
      epumph -
      Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
      Wow! TD! This is looking really awesome. I don't think I would have the patience. Excellent work.
      I love it! I would never attempt this kind of job with bad eyes, shaky hands and no patience..
      seanm -
      I have to agree with Michael W on this. The rest of your fleet is going to look naked now.
      TwinDad -
      LOL! I'm already thinking in the back of my mind how I can upgrade the other SD35 and what I'd need to do the paint touch-ups...
      ChicagoNW -
      Most people leave the wipers off until all the painting and assembly is done. The key to installing any tiny part is stopping your heartbeat. That annoying bouncing movement leaves the hands.
      epumph -
      Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
      The key to installing any tiny part is stopping your heartbeat. That annoying bouncing movement leaves the hands.
      holy cow I would be dead!
      Jazzbass01 -
      Painting a window frame is at the very limit of my ability (eye sight and shaky hands), I have the greatest respect for you people that can work with these kinds of details!

Bravo TD!!
      TwinDad -
      OK, so the last detail before paint is the train line hose, and I don't have the right size drill bit for that, so I'm going to have to get to the LHS before I can move forward. Time to get the pain shop ready to receive its guests
      Herc Driver -
      That engine is going to look great. Those details look really good.
      jpwisc -
      OK, so the last detail before paint is the train line hose, and I don't have the right size drill bit for that, so I'm going to have to get to the LHS before I can move forward.
      Go one size bigger than the BLMA package says, it's nice to have a little wiggle room to keep the air hose from fouling the couplers.

Time to get the pain shop ready to receive its guests
      I hope you mean paint shop, otherwise I feel bad for your guests...
      TwinDad -
      Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
      Go one size bigger than the BLMA package says, it's nice to have a little wiggle room to keep the air hose from fouling the couplers.

I hope you mean paint shop, otherwise I feel bad for your guests...

Paint shop, pain shop, with my airbrush skills it's all about the same.