• Fence Posts Made Easy

Fence posts are a detail feature that will make a big difference with little work. Getting the correct size material prepared is the most time consuming part. Remembering that .00625 equals one real inch, .030 is about an average size post. I had a lot of stripwood left over from my trestle that I cut in half but square stock from Evergreen Styrene would work if they sell it this small. First pull it through some fine sandpaper to round off the edges. I used roof brown on a rag to stain my wood material seen here.
    Attachment 31446
    I used this paper to get an aproximate spacing between posts and poked a hole through the ground cover with a pin.
    Attachment 31447
    Sick your post material in the pin hole. A foam base makes it real easy, but you'll have to drill some small holes if you are planting your posts in plywood. A dot of white glue on the end of the post will help, but might not be necessary in foam.
    Attachment 31448
    The width of the cardboard strip is the gauge for cutting the posts. Mine are 4 feet high.
    Attachment 31449
    Here's what I've completed so far. I'll add more weeds and sage brush along the fence line when they're all in. I thought this made a pretty dramatic change to this scene and it didn't take to long at all to do.
    Attachment 31450
    Comments 21 Comments
      musicman -
      Very nice touch! They look great and I really like the simplicity of your technique. Well done!
      baronjutter -
      Posts are one thing, how do you do the wire?
      localdriver -
      regular window screen cut to fit and painted looks really nice.
      baronjutter -
      What's a window screen??
      69Z28 -
      Window screen may work. I'm not sure about using it though. Most country fences I've seen have 4 or 5 strands of wire or barbed wire strung between posts.

How about digging into SheWhoMustBeObeyed sewing kit and using the thread or maybe untwisting stranded wire and using it.

See ya
      Ron
      MystRacing -
      Being as a scale strand of wire wiould be about 1-1/2 thousands of an inch it probably doesn't need any wire. From 320 scale feet away (2 real feet) you can't hardly see the wire on a barbed wire fence anyway.

I think it looks great as is.
      localdriver -
      yes n scale chain link fence.window screen painted steel or gray or similar color cut to size.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

i guess i missed it wrong kind of fence.
      Herc Driver -
      Very neat tip! They look really good and add a nice touch to the fields of the layout. Well done!
      baronjutter -
      Clearly we need to string spider-web between the posts then
      NY Central -
      Very nice.. thanks for the "post"
      Komata -
      Re: Wire for the posts. FWIW, on my 'Six-Mile Bush' portable layout, I used fine-gauge Shirring Elastic to make 3-wire fences, securing the strands with CA. Painted brown or grey it is surprisingly realistic, and has the added advantage of being flexible and quite tolerant of abuse as a result. I purchased a bobbin of the material at the local goodwill store for a few cents, although wives and girlfriends might have something similar lying about in their sewing kits (just don't get caught removing it without permission )
      Michael Whiteman -
      Technically from any distance at all one would not even see the wire. I also wonder if any material used for wire would gather dust, lint or cobwebs which would be a real challenge to clean off? I think I'm gonna pass on the wire although I do like the Shirring Elastic idea and will look at some when I go to JO ANN's tomorrow for more wheat field material.
      Komata -
      The wire actually can be seen - and at exhibitions is frequently commented on by those who take the trouble to look (although they aren't hidden) In addition if you can make individual battens by cutting very fine (6in x 4ft scale) strips of business card and threading it so that the middle of the strip is behind the elastic 'wire' , it can make very realistic farm fences. Painted grey, and weathered, no one ever notices the technical inaccuracy. These sorts of fences can be seen on the hillside the left- background in the image below. Incidentally, the strainer posts I use are supposed replicate what are known locally as 'full round's' and are made from bamboo skewers cut to 4ft (scale) height, with an additional 2ft added to be pushed into the ground - a total of 6ft (scale). I paint and weather them with acrylics from a tube.

It's not very clear, but there is a three-strand 'Shirring Elastic' fence running parallel to the road alongside the bus - although where the Mini went through into the paddock, it has been reduced to a single strand. The grey gate near the bus is part of the fence. Despite the single wire, the horse doesn't seem to have taken the hint and wandered-off.

pwh70 -
      I think that the last photo of the original post really shows a great scene and has inspired me to find a place for using something similar on my layout.
      FWIW - to my eye, the addition of some fencing strands, whether to scale or not, would enhance it.
      Around here we have a lot of similar looking fields, many of them are abandoned and would be an appropriate place for "no strands" - with posts falling over, broken, overgrown, etc.
      Either way, thanks for the simple but very scenic tip that I look forward to trying out soon!
      Paul
      Fuzzflyr -
      Fantastic tip Michael! Short, simple, and sweet. I love the multi-use tool for setting spacing AND height. I know I will be using this elegant technique, and will probably experiment with wire vs. no wire. Thanks for the post!
      Michael Whiteman -
      Beautiful scene on your little RR Komata. I like the idea of card stock poles between the fence posts. That would certainly be a fast way to lay fence. I saw some Shirring Elastic today but the smallest JOANN's had was 27mil. That's about 4 inches in diameter. A little too large for a barb wire fence, I think.
      Big Windy -
      Nice touch. Price is right too! I have spent my budget through 2015 lol
      Monegeetta -
      Do I get the impression that we have some hero's on this forum, entering my wife's sewing room is like walking through an Iraqi mine field and to help myself to her "stash" would be courting death. Many years ago I shared a large room with my love, I had a small corner for my layout and was doing well until she found a slight overspray on a wall and that was it - out, out into the garage and there I've stayed. Great idea's for fencing, thank you.

Steve
      Komata -
      Steve, I know small corners very well (and I wouldn't have it any other way)
      CaseyJones -
      Thers is a place the name escapes me at the moment that I got some stainless wire from. I got some for a project that I was working on that was .003, .002 and I even got some .0015 I believe. The .0015 was too small but I used the other two. But, it might not look good on a weathered fence though.

CaseyJones