• Fence Posts Made Easy

Fence posts are a detail feature that will make a big difference with little work. Getting the correct size material prepared is the most time consuming part. Remembering that .00625 equals one real inch, .030 is about an average size post. I had a lot of stripwood left over from my trestle that I cut in half but square stock from Evergreen Styrene would work if they sell it this small. First pull it through some fine sandpaper to round off the edges. I used roof brown on a rag to stain my wood material seen here.
    Attachment 39405
    I used this paper to get an aproximate spacing between posts and poked a hole through the ground cover with a pin.
    Attachment 39404
    Sick your post material in the pin hole. A foam base makes it real easy, but you'll have to drill some small holes if you are planting your posts in plywood. A dot of white glue on the end of the post will help, but might not be necessary in foam.
    Attachment 39403
    The width of the cardboard strip is the gauge for cutting the posts. Mine are 4 feet high.
    Attachment 39406
    Here's what I've completed so far. I'll add more weeds and sage brush along the fence line when they're all in. I thought this made a pretty dramatic change to this scene and it didn't take to long at all to do.
    Attachment 39407
    Comments 22 Comments
      ted_roy -
      Nice technique, very helpful!
      Michael Whiteman -
      I have no idea what I did to make this thread come up. Definitely not intentional!
      Trains1956 -
      Great ideal... Thanks
      TexasJeff -
      Michael I think the Mods choose a popular thread and turn it into an article.
      pwh70 -
      I think all the good ones have the miraculous ability to self-post again whenever they hear someone talking about them somewhere else in the Forum...

-Paul
      Chessack -
      What a great article. I've bookmarked this for future reference.
      Shomic -
      Great idea! Thank you
      REM37411 -
      Michael, I am definitely going to use this on my inglenook when I start the fence around the farm. Thanks for posting it. Have you tried, or would it be feasible to add any type of material to simulate wire for the fence? To my eye it looks like it would probably be too small to notice but I was just curious.
      Michael Whiteman -
      To me, and this is personal, you wouldn't be able to see the wire in n scale. One real inch is .00625 so a wire that might be 1/8" in diameter would be .00078 Anything larger than this is way over scale size. I really like seeing the wire on other people's fences and power poles, but not on mine. I did do the wire thing when I modeled HO and O scale. Did I mention that I'm basically lazy also?
      DrGonzo -
      Quote Originally Posted by REM37411 View Post
      Michael, I am definitely going to use this on my inglenook when I start the fence around the farm. Thanks for posting it. Have you tried, or would it be feasible to add any type of material to simulate wire for the fence? To my eye it looks like it would probably be too small to notice but I was just curious.
      The wire that is used to make the magnetic coils in small relays is extremely thin and would probably be the right diameter.
      It is a bit difficult to work with since it is so thin, but I guess that's the idea.

Kyle.
      4stupid -
      Good idea. If Im seeing this right the fence posts are 4'tall and about 6' apart. When in real life their set about 10' apart ( or at least in my neck of the woods ). Would this 10' look funny?
      Michael Whiteman -
      You're definitely seeing 'em right, I had to go back and measure them. The reason I chose to put them closer together is, for the most part I view my layout from down in the town and I wanted the fence line to appear farther away. It's a trick for your eye called selective compression.
      4stupid -
      Thanks for tip. Optical illusions. Like a mirror on the wall behind a lake to make it look bigger
      jimltop -
      Am going to try this this weekend... Thanks for the tip
      AllenK58 -
      Thanks for the "post"ing. I'll come back to photos after my membership rights are opened.
      mariuszjj -
      any wire on the posts?
      great anyways
      pwh70 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mariuszjj View Post
      any wire on the posts?
      great anyways
      I can answer for MW in that he chose not to run wire..
      I did on mine, and although I think it looks good - I have a nervous tic now and he still has his wits about him... it was meticulously challenging for me.

-Paul
      epumph -
      just like everything else on the little layout that could it looks real good.
      n8burk -
      Thanks for the little tutorial, MW! All the details help make the big scene.
      Very nice fence, pwh70! Hopefully you'll recuperate someday...
      M.C. Fujiwara has a sweet fence on his Shoofly in Sonoma module. Check it out. It's around page 10 of this thread.
      ranulf -
      So what'd you use for wire Paul?