Thread: More small steam: GBW 251

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GBW 251

I see you are modeling Sturgeon Bay. Are you from the area? I live in Sturgeon bay and don't know any n scalers in town. I agree the MDC Mogul is excellent running.Saldana
    "You Can't run the rails unless your the Engineer."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sturgeon Bay

Saldana:I was the Navy Supervisor of Shipbuilding 1977-1980. I transferrred out in 1980 to go to PG school at MIT (your tax dollars in action), and then to Wash DC and Northern Virginia. Regretably, I have not been back to Door County since then, but I am hoping to make a trip back in warmer weather: I miss the place. My wife is from California, and I don't think she could hack a Door County winter! I understand that PBI no longer exists, literally ... it sounds like the shipyard has been razed. That's a shame. Resp'y,Bob S. 
    Grab Baggage and Walk!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sturgeon Bay

Yes the ship yard is GONE, Completely. Condos are there and a new bridge is being built partially in the spot. Palmer Johnson moved by the Red Owl and a full marina is where PJ's was. Bay Ship is still doing the same work but with 700 people down from the 2000 when you were here. Town is different. Expensive land and poor shoping. If you have alot of money you can retire here and complain about the local people. You wife is correct a nice place to visit.Our winters have been poor, NO SNOW.40's in Jan with rain.I really was hopeing you were from here. Thanks for the response.Keep it on the rails.Brad
    "You Can't run the rails unless your the Engineer."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you have photos of the

Do you have photos of the prototype for us to reference online or in print?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prototype photos of GBW 251

Grab Baggage and Walk!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brad: Ugh! Maybe I

Brad: Ugh! Maybe I shouldn't come back, it sounds like everything I loved about the city has evaporated!Sturgeon Bay, in February, 1977:- There was one bridge, "the highway bridge". The railroad swingspan had been removed a few years prior to my first vist in 1974 (another whole story in itself). The "new highway bridge" was completed just as I was going south. (Why is another bridge needed??)- There were two stop-and-go lights; one in Sawyer, and one at the corner of Michegan and Third.- Bay Ship had just put several hundred workers on the payroll; they had contracts for construction of several 1000-footers (I doubt that they are still building them now, maybe a lot of repair work) With the influx of workers from Milwaukee and Chicago, housing was a problem in that winter. - MacDonald's had done a market study, and deemed that then year-round population of Sturgeon Bay was too small to support a store. The local burger joint was Bay Chef, which the kids called affectionatley "Bay Rot". (We got out Micky Dee's two years later.)- The Door County Advocate was only published on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I managed to find a place to live by sweet-talking the young lady in the Advocate office into showing my the final copy of the Thursday edition on Weds afternoon. I rented the second floor of an old farm house right across the street from the V-Bar (in Valmy, north of town). Very convenient, and Tim actually had San Miguel! (I later moved in town to 819 Michegan St.)- One of my neighbors when I was living in town was Joe Rohhr, who had been the section chief on the railroad, and he took me "walk about" to show me where every switch and tie had been. There was still quite a bit of "physical evidence" remaining at that time.- Chan Harris was still "the Voice of WDOR".- The median wage of a journeyman mechanic in any of the shipyards was about $5/Hour.- You could still get an 8 oz draft at The Red Room for a dime. The only two mixed drinks they knew how to make were "brandy and sweet", and "brandy and sour".- The three Januaries that I was there, there was a three week period in each when the temperature would be -10 in the heat of the noonday sun. Tim Graul used to cross-country ski up the bay to his job at PBI; I used to snow-shoe to my hooch.- There were a grand total of two Navy guys in town, me and Marsh Cunningham. We would still be mistaken for "Coast Guard", even though the CG had done away with their khakis and gone to the modified Air Corps uniform a few years prior.- Despite the above, it seems that everybody knew everybody else. I walked into Prange's the second or third day in town, and the young lady behind the counter said "you must be LT Steinberg".- One day I walked up to N Third from our office in the old Feed and Grain Store to get a haircut at Bruce Oram's, and the downtown was deserted. It happened to be Good Friday, and all businesses voluntarily shut down from noon to 3 PM.- I was in Door County Hardware chewing the fat with Tom Austadt when the fire siren went off; Tom and Dan were volunteer firefighters, and the three of us were the only ones in the store. Tom threw me the keys and said "lock up when you leave".- The back door of my house on Michegan St did not have a functional lock, and I didn't feel the need for one. That's the kind of town it was.So, Brad ... were you there then, and should I know you? :-)Resp'y,Bob S.
    Grab Baggage and Walk!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default great story. I went back there mith yah.

I have fond memories of my highschool days along the newhaven in guillford ct. green and gold striped alco pa's emd e7&8s fl9' s tractor pulls on the town "green",the ocean the boats the fishing. America the beautiful. And with this hobby,life just keeps getin better all the time. Nice modeling job. Please post more pics.