Thread: aurora postage stamp

Thanks

Default Hello,*Just thought I

Hello,
    Just thought I would say welcome to model railroading!* Those trains were around when I was first in model railroading, I was gone for quite a while, but have been back for three years or so (time flies...).
    I can't help you directly with your question, but maybe one of the other guys will chip in.
    Charles

Thanks

Default Goodness, I got my start in

Goodness, I got my start in N scale with an Aurora Postage Stamp set, back about 1970.* They do have some collector value.* That's the good news.* You have something others would treasure.* And I suspect they will still run just fine.* But they won't hold a candle to todays N scale engines.* The wheels on the rolling stock will be what is now mockingly called "pie cutters" because of the depth of the flange.* As a starter set, I'm sure they are fine.* Two sets for $140 ain't all that bad.* Each would come with a transformer and some track.* A top of the line loco can set you back almost that much, well closer to $100 and on ebay considerably less used.* I still have a few of my original postage stamp cars - I just changed the wheels and trucks under them to MT's.*** Have fun with them, and who knows, in a few years you may be able to sell one of the sets for what you paid for the pair and get all your money back.*  

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 645 Posts

Default Tough call, Fil.* As you

Tough call, Fil.* As you said, these came from the 60'-s- 70's and are, to some, collectible.* Most, if not all, of the Postage Stamp trains were made by Minitrix of Germany and were "quality" for the times.* A lot of Trix locos can be found in people's collections, on layouts,and ebay.* Whether to run it or collect it is your call.* Whether you got a good deal is also your call as value is in the eyes of the collector (or buyer).* If the locos won't run, then you definitely didn't get your money's worth.* If they do run, and I'm thinking of the F-9, 4-6-2, and 0-6-0, they were decent locos at the time, though not up to today's standards. I hope this helps a little.* I'm not a collector, though I've been in N scale since the 60's, so I would be running them.Let's see some photos of them.
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 550 Posts

Default Gotta agree, you probably

Gotta agree, you probably won't be happy with the way they run compared to newer engines, but they may have worth as collectibles.* Like FKD, I still have some of the cars on my layout.* Like anything else in this hobby, it's not what we think but what you are happy with.Welcome to the hobby.* You're 64, I just turned 65.* I still have a lot of fun with trains...little strain on the eyes sometimes now.[img]/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-undecided.gif[/img]
    Jim
    NStructureStudio@aol.com
    Ironic, isn't it, Smithers? This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election. And yet, if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. -Mr. Burns

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Thank you !

*Oh my! I would like to*thank you,This topic brings back memories of happier times when my grandmother was celebrating christmas with my family in HAMBURG, NY!*Tom*