Thread: aurora postage stamp

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello,*Just thought I

Hello,
    Just thought I would say welcome to model railroading!* Those trains were around when I was first in model railroading, I was gone for quite a while, but have been back for three years or so (time flies...).
    I can't help you directly with your question, but maybe one of the other guys will chip in.
    Charles

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Goodness, I got my start in

Goodness, I got my start in N scale with an Aurora Postage Stamp set, back about 1970.* They do have some collector value.* That's the good news.* You have something others would treasure.* And I suspect they will still run just fine.* But they won't hold a candle to todays N scale engines.* The wheels on the rolling stock will be what is now mockingly called "pie cutters" because of the depth of the flange.* As a starter set, I'm sure they are fine.* Two sets for $140 ain't all that bad.* Each would come with a transformer and some track.* A top of the line loco can set you back almost that much, well closer to $100 and on ebay considerably less used.* I still have a few of my original postage stamp cars - I just changed the wheels and trucks under them to MT's.*** Have fun with them, and who knows, in a few years you may be able to sell one of the sets for what you paid for the pair and get all your money back.*  
    FKD

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 715 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tough call, Fil.* As you

Tough call, Fil.* As you said, these came from the 60'-s- 70's and are, to some, collectible.* Most, if not all, of the Postage Stamp trains were made by Minitrix of Germany and were "quality" for the times.* A lot of Trix locos can be found in people's collections, on layouts,and ebay.* Whether to run it or collect it is your call.* Whether you got a good deal is also your call as value is in the eyes of the collector (or buyer).* If the locos won't run, then you definitely didn't get your money's worth.* If they do run, and I'm thinking of the F-9, 4-6-2, and 0-6-0, they were decent locos at the time, though not up to today's standards. I hope this helps a little.* I'm not a collector, though I've been in N scale since the 60's, so I would be running them.Let's see some photos of them.
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 598 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gotta agree, you probably

Gotta agree, you probably won't be happy with the way they run compared to newer engines, but they may have worth as collectibles.* Like FKD, I still have some of the cars on my layout.* Like anything else in this hobby, it's not what we think but what you are happy with.Welcome to the hobby.* You're 64, I just turned 65.* I still have a lot of fun with trains...little strain on the eyes sometimes now.[img]/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-undecided.gif[/img]
    Jim

It's not the voices themselves that drive me crazy. It's that they end their sentences with prepositions!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thank you !

*Oh my! I would like to*thank you,This topic brings back memories of happier times when my grandmother was celebrating christmas with my family in HAMBURG, NY!*Tom*