Thread: MTL Pizza-cutter wheelsets

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tom,You may remember a

Tom,You may remember a while back, Micro-Trains went from just the Pizza Cutter (PC) wheels installed on the car to having PC's on the car, and including Low-Profile (LP) wheels in the package. Then they briefly (around October of 2006, IICR) went to LP on the car and PC in the package. This was of massive annoyance for me, as I puchased a fleet of cars (literally) around this time, and had to change hundreds of axles from LP to PC. Anywho, that didn't fly well with their loyal fanbase, and they changed back to PC on the car and LP in the package. A short while later (got to be 7 or 8 months ago now) they announced that they were dropping the LP's from the package altogether. I don't know the reasoning behind this, but in some discussions with some folks from MT, I gathered it was partially the added cost of including the extra axles, and the fact that it seemed either way, part of the market was displeased. They opted to please the larger portion, and save a few bucks, and got rid of the LP axles in the package. Their wheelsets, as far as I know, are still available if you want to buy them from MT or your favourite dealer. I prefer IM, Atlas or Fox Valley Models wheelsets, personally, with the latter being my #1 choice, albeit more expensive.Cheers,AR
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid
    Junction Design
    Custom Designed N-scale Stuff!
    www.shapeways.com/shops/junctiondesign

Have a product you would like to see made in N?
    Feel free to get in touch with suggestions!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A lament for Lo-Pro's

Personally, I would rather have the lo pro's and ditch the pizza cutters. PC's are not only ugly IMHO, but they are a step back in time. They harken back to the toylike roots of the scale that so many of us would rather forget. I understand some of the modular guys have to run them because of the rules of their clubs, and I'm sure they have their reasons, but I'm not sure the majority of N scalers belong to those clubs. The majority I think have home layouts. Also, PC's don't conform to NMRA standards and cause issues with fine trackwork. For MT to make us modelers pay extra for what should be the norm (NMRA conforming wheelsets) is not putting their best foot forward and it doesn't represent the hobby well either. I feel that MT made a poor choice on this one. I guess I'm in the minority though........

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It may be more of a

It may be more of a marketing ploy... PC's as standard issue with a supplier cost savings by not providing LP's, knowing the majority will have to buy LP's after the fact.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A counterpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    It may be more of a marketing ploy... PC's as standard issue with a supplier cost savings by not providing LP's, knowing the majority will have to buy LP's after the fact.
    And that's the part that I find distasteful. I think that a marketing ploy like that is not in the best interest of the modeler or the hobby as a whole. I know, MT is in business to make money, but honestly, companies that force your hand to do one thing or another are not generally looked on in a good light. I mean, it doesn't build brand loyalty in your customers when you only give them part of what they want for their money (the cars or truck sets), and then stick it to them again by making them pony up for extra wheelsets, when really, it would use less actual material (cheaper overhead) on the part of MT if they did things the other way around and included the lo-pro's and then if you wanted the PC's you'd pony up then. Like you said, most modelers want the lo-pro's, right? And that would actually strengthen brand loyalty, and conversations like this would be irrelevent. It makes me wonder.......if another company was to come along that had a product as good as the MT's, would marketing practices like this cause more people to give the new guys a try, when maybe an investment in customer loyalty on the part of MT now would lessen that blow in the future? Just a thought............

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I wouldn't start by

I wouldn't start by assuming that Micro-Trains is trying to gouge us.If you look at the prices of MT products in the last couple of years, they haven't risen much, if at all. This is surprising considering that the price of oil and, therefore plastic, has gone way up. I suspect they had to drop the low profile wheel sets in an effort to keep the initial cost of a piece down a little bit.-mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default True, but........

Thats true, but again, they have to know that most people want the lo-pro's, so why not give the customers what they really want rather then making them eat the extra cost of buying seperate packs of wheelsets? Maybe it's just me, but at my company we like to actually give the customers what they want without forcing them to buy things they don't want........or maybe that just doesn't make sense?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I can understand why

I can understand why Micro-Trains would want to only include 1 set of wheels, and I, along with what sounds like most of us here, wish it was the low profile ones. I'm guessing that based on market research or feed back from the breif period that they went with the LP wheels on the car, most of there customers either don't care or want the pizza cutter wheels. I think Micro-Trains is stuck in the position of screwing 20% of their customers who want LP wheels (a good pergentage of them probably would go to a 3rd party vender like Fox Valley anyway) or screwing the 80% who want pizza cutters. Understandably, they went with pleasing the bigger group. It sucks for those of use who want LP wheels, but that is life in the fast lane.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I had no clue.....

I didn't know I was in the minority. I thought most people didn't like PC's. I know I don't run them at all.

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I did start with "It may

I did start with "It may be", so please don't take this as me saying "they are"...Since MT are on the list of prospective suppliers for the nScale.net car, I'll ask the question, and see what answer I get.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)