Thread: Help with Atlas Controller/Reversing Loop

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help with Atlas Controller/Reversing Loop

Hi everyone, new to the forums. Ive been searching around for an answer to this problem with no luck. I need to buy a wiring book, just havent been able to do it yet. Ive been in and out of this hobby for a long time, so I once knew this, just cant seem to get it right! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a reversing loop that will not work right. I have a positive connection and common wire coming from the loop, and a positive and common outside of the loop. I have both commons going into the Controller Common/C slot. I have a positive from the loop going to X or Y and then the other positive going to the other. On the left side of the controller I have the two leads connected to the DC controller.

Right now nothing else is done because Im trying to make sure I have this right before moving on. When I am outside of the loop engine works ok, as soon as it hits the isolated portion of the loop it dies. If I switch the top red button to the other side and nudge the engine it picks back up again, although I have to switch the direction on the dc controller first. Same thing happens when trying to exit the loop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Brad

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Got it!

Finally figured it out

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,143 Times in 835 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Brad.

I'm glad you got it sorted so quickly.

Would you mind sharing your fault-finding technique and resolution with us?
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite sure if its right but I added a selector and put the positive of the non loop on the first switch of the selector (which was daisy chained on the right of the controller). I took the common/negative from this and connected it to the controller common.

I then took the + and - from the isolated loop and hooked it up to x and y on the controller.

Its all starting to come back to me now.

I did a semi plan for this beforehand but have been ad-libbing it from there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Here is useful info

Hi,

An Atlas Controller will probably be the easiest for you to wire and use. Installation is very straight forward, but I believe that you must be using Common-Rail wiring. Follow the link below to BryanC's home page.

http://alines.home.att.net/

Click on the 'Wiring', and then 'Layout Wiring - 02'. You will see a picture of the Controller.I haven't read all of Bryan's notes, but I am sure that he has provided a very good explanation. Once you hook in the Controller, you will use the Red Buttons on the Controller to control your train's direction outside of the Reverse Loop.

Just make sure you synch your power pack connections to the Controller so the train travels in the correct direction (i.e., the forward and reverse directions that you expect)

You will no longer use the reversing button on your power pack. (I put electrical tape over it.) You will use the X/Y button on the Controller to control the direction of the train within the loop.

It is important that you have the X/Y button synched with the Red Reversing Button prior to the train entering the loop, otherwise you'll short going into it.

It is very easy to run this operation, you just need to get the hang of it.

Remember, you will need to change the Red Reversing Button before the train leaves the loop - because your train is now reversed on the mainline.

You'll need to gap both rails on through and diverging routes, i.e., the RLoop track is completely isolated from the ML. The X/Y connections to the RLoop provide the power, i.e., 1 rail gets the X connection and the other rail gets the Y connection.

Hope this helps,--Ed
    For those who are about to Railroad... WE SALUTE YOU!