Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk and Western High Hood Flare

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Norfolk and Western High Hood Flare

Somebody bought me a PRR spectrum SD45 as a gift a while ago, no good to me as I run an Norfolk Southern system. Having never modified a loco shell before, I put up with it at first, but it had to go eventually, and so, with a high hood from Atlas and some spares, it's now a High Hood N&W unit. Spurred on by the success, I did some other N&W stuff. Any comments would be appreciated.

cheers

andy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2442002...7622232236963/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your SD45 looks good

Not picking the nits and for general informational purposes.

N&W did have a low nose SD45 #1728..It was wreck while on the Reading and rebuilt with a low nose.

The N&W SD45s was numbered 1700-1814.

The 6108 was a SD40-2.
    Larry

Columbus & Hocking Valley.
    Serving The Industries of Southen Ohio.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

I realised it was the wrong number on the engine, I'm afraid I'm pretty useless and hamfisted at cutting out those tiny numbers individually!!

Didn't know about the 1728, might have to have a go at that from another bachmann flare. I've seen a picture of an NS sd45 recently though, it's an engine testbed or something, no hood covers. Could it be the same one?

The next one will be a kato sd40-2, if and when Atlas decide to restock the high hood shells.

cheers

andy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good! One of my favorite locos is the SD45, esp the high nose version.
    I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locomotive howling off to the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. - Jack Kerouac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After looking at your SD-45, I have one comment. I don't believe that any of the N&W "final scheme" (also known as the Claytor scheme) had the NS horse and white stripes on the nose. Otherwise your conversion looks great and I'm pleased that the Bachman cab and the Atlas hi-nose went together as well as they did.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al1218 View Post
    After looking at your SD-45, I have one comment. I don't believe that any of the N&W "final scheme" (also known as the Claytor scheme) had the NS horse and white stripes on the nose. Otherwise your conversion looks great and I'm pleased that the Bachman cab and the Atlas hi-nose went together as well as they did.
    You're quite correct..The "nag head" is NS only.

I am also please that the Atlas HH and Bachman shell works together.In fact I pass that along to our N&W fan at the club since he's been wanting so SD45 HH.

Again great job on the SD45!
    Larry

Columbus & Hocking Valley.
    Serving The Industries of Southen Ohio.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conrail's six RSD-15s were all high-nose ex-Pennsy units and to my knowledge none wore blue dress.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 904 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can not imagine why a railroad would prefer a high hood like that. Wouldn't it be better and safer for the crew to have the wide view through the front of the cab?
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MooseID View Post
    I can not imagine why a railroad would prefer a high hood like that. Wouldn't it be better and safer for the crew to have the wide view through the front of the cab?
    According to union agreements on both N&W and Southern, they were for safety reasons. Yes, they do cut down on forward vision but when there was an extra set of eyes residing on the fireman's seat that made up for it.

BTW, safety is also the reason that N&W ran their units (mostly) long hood forward. My dad was running a brand new Alco C-628 LHF when he encountered a derailing freight in front of him on a curve. He was able to survive the collision because the long hood took the bulk of the impact from several loaded boxcars even though the cab was heavily damaged. Had he been running short hood forward, he most likely would've perished along with his fireman.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 904 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes sense.
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like all that you did very professional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ns4ever View Post
    I've seen a picture of an NS sd45 recently though, it's an engine testbed or something, no hood covers. Could it be the same one?
    I know one at CEECO, when I saw it, it was still in NS/SOU paint. Looks like it got painted before they closed their doors. Here's an online pic I found, if the pic belongs to anybody here, let me know so I can credit:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
    ES&BM Ry.

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 853 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a good use for a dead loco/shell.
    That would make a nice scene outside a workshop.

[Side note] If you can't credit the image owner, you should be linking to the image at its original source (or at least on another site).
    Attached and uploaded images should be ones you own, or have explicit permission to publish.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N&W SD-45 No. 1768 had a run in with a caboose years ago. When the collision occured the locomotive was in her blue scheme. When the short high hood was repaired it was painted black with the NW logo. It was kinda unique. Blue on one end and black on the other!
    Richard D. Shell
    ShellScale Decals
    www.shellscale.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShellScale View Post
    N&W SD-45 No. 1768 had a run in with a caboose years ago. When the collision occured the locomotive was in her blue scheme. When the short high hood was repaired it was painted black with the NW logo. It was kinda unique. Blue on one end and black on the other!
    i have been trying to find a picture of 1728 for a long time, the only one I have is one before the wreck. BTW Richard, does the decal set for your Southern diesels adapt to GP59 4610?

Thanks
    Capn Vic

Riding the NS B line from Manassas.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That SD45 is my favorite...and I think my next attempt at creating a high hood NS unit. What a great kitbash...I like the seamless integration between the Atlas high hood and low nose Bachmann shell.

The other engines are very interesting as well, and you did a good job. My only suggestion is to give them a light mist of dull coat. I can't be sure from the photos, but if they're that shiny, you might consider dulling down the reflectiveness of the engines. I did the same thing when I build my two high hood GP30's. I didn't dull coat them for a while, but at the good suggestion of those here on this forum, I used dull coat on the all-black NS version and it made all the difference in the world. The dull coat really toned down the all-too-shiny appearance of the engine and made a better seal and transition between the decals and paint. Just a suggestion.
    Mark

Citation X Captain
    - and -
    LTC (Ret)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SD45

I am working on a few projects. One of them is an SD40 for NW to run as a slug mother, (the slug is another project)Thinking of using an FM or GEEP for a conversion. Anyway, I have a leftover SD40 shell and an SD35 hood from Atlas to kitbash into an NW SD40 HSH

Plus this should work well with the two SD35's I have in N&W.
    Capn Vic

Riding the NS B line from Manassas.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ns4ever - Gotta love a high hood Hustle Muscle! I have a pair of them wearing Pevler blue, since I model N&W in 1971; I used Bachmann's GP50 for the nose, on a Kato engine. The Bachmann was a little bit wider than the Kato shell, though, so I wish I would have gone the route you took, i.e. using an Atlas shell.

Looking through your photos, I see that you have done something which I am wanting to do, i.e. repower old RSD-15's! I've been collecting the old girls, even painting a couple shells, but haven't yet settled on how to do their innards. I was thinking of using the Atlas FM Trainmaster, since it has a seemingly correct wheelbase, but the issue there is that the split-frame that fills the cavity of the engine is oversize, in that it fills under the Trainmaster's high sills. Also, the space inside the old MRC or AHM AlCo's is a bit narrower than the Trainmaster. All of that translated into milling the frames down, something I'm not very good at. Thus, I've been hoping for another solution to present itself.

I'd LOVE to know how you handled it! Also, regarding the pilots, I figured there must be a way to fill in the holes there; can you tell me specifically what you used? If you can help me out here, I may bring all those RSD-15's to the front burner again; my aim is to make this engine be the primary road power of my WP&P, which is a short line that has recently been merged into N&W.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al1218 View Post
    According to union agreements on both N&W and Southern, they were for safety reasons. Yes, they do cut down on forward vision but when there was an extra set of eyes residing on the fireman's seat that made up for it.

BTW, safety is also the reason that N&W ran their units (mostly) long hood forward. My dad was running a brand new Alco C-628 LHF when he encountered a derailing freight in front of him on a curve. He was able to survive the collision because the long hood took the bulk of the impact from several loaded boxcars even though the cab was heavily damaged. Had he been running short hood forward, he most likely would've perished along with his fireman.
    I've had it on good authority from several NS (and Southern, and NW) locomotive engineers that if there's something in the way that the HH blocks, it's too late to do anything about anyway. Forward visibility isn't that bad, and the low hood really doesn't help where it's needed - being able to see a switchman on the ground on the fireman's side. It's a half-baked idea.

Initially, I found this hard to believe, but I heard it over and over. Finally, an engineer asked me to look at out the cab myself, and see what I'd be missing. So, let's take a look out the cab of a low hood unit from the engineer's perspective:

Now imagine the high hood in place (essentially, the two center windows wouldn't exist). There's not much the engineer's missing on a high hood! Conversely, the low hood does little to enhance visibility.

It's interesting to note that the very first EMD low hood locomotive ran long hood first! Phelps-Dodge Mining special ordered GP9s with low hoods so the engineer could look BACK over his train during loading. This was followed by Southern Pacific's last order for (Phase III) GP9s (5872-5891 then to 3708-3727 as built from EMD with factory Low noses. Blt 8-9/59 on O/N 5608), which of course ran short hood first.

Most of the Phelps Dodge GP9s were essentially factory chopped noses. This is a survivor:

By the time they'd done all the rest, the engineers at EMD had their act together. The last one, Phelps Dodge 43, came with a GP18/20/SD28/24 style cab and low nose. I'm still looking for a photo of PD 43, but I'd expect it to look like one of SP's low hood GP9s:

Warmest regards,
    - Arved

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
    i have been trying to find a picture of 1728 for a long time, the only one I have is one before the wreck. BTW Richard, does the decal set for your Southern diesels adapt to GP59 4610?

Thanks
    I'm sure I have a photo of 1728 with a low hood. I would love to have a photo before the low hood. The GP59 4610 has that extra plaque. My set does not have that.
    Richard D. Shell
    ShellScale Decals
    www.shellscale.com