Thread: Big ebay sellers, where do they get the stuff...?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Big ebay sellers, where do they get the stuff...?

I see some seller some sellers on ebay who are not stores, but they seem to have piles of stuff. Sometimes they say they got it at an estate sale, other times they don't say where.

Any guesses where people get massive amounts of train stuff they sell? Has anyone ever come across a collection at an estate sale and are the prices usually very good?
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 948 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Caveat Emptar"

"Let the buyer beware."

Ebay sellers/resellers are a devious lot.

They bear watching at all times.

I doubt that many of them will reveal their sources for fear of competition.
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MooseID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Large collection

Back in 1990 I happened on a R/C Hobby Shop display a collection of nscale stuff that belonged to a very sick friend of his.
    he had a wooden display case hanging on his wall. there were 11 locos and lots of rollingstock. I asked how much one of the Atlas RS-3's were and thats when he explained the case and all its contents were for sale. his friend wanted $200 for the collection. He said twe guys in earlier offered $100 and they said that was what it was worth. The shop owner did't know anything about trains but told them he would call them if know one else was interested. I told the owner about how much the locos cost and asked if he was sure all his friend wanted was $200. He said yes that his friend just wanted to get them to someone that would use them. At that I told the owner I would take it. Before i paid him he told me there was a box with more stuff. The box had more rolling stock, buildings, track, and bags and bags of Woodland Scenics ground foam. I haven't bought ground foam since(working on a third layout). This was also my first expeience with microtrains and Atlas locos.
    This stuff was worth $800 to $900 easy.
    I don't know where some of those big Ebayers get there stuff but sometimes I guess you run into a good deal.
    I have never sold any of the stuff and most likely never will/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to russtrnmn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine used to buy stock from motorcycle shops that were going out of business. He would make a bulk purchase of all their remaining inventory, stick it in his warehouse and sell it off piece by piece on eBay. I can't remember how he found them, but it wasn't just word of mouth, so maybe the same would apply to a LTS that was closing its doors.

When I was leaving Japan and doing a bit of last minute shopping, picking up a few trains and a stack of buildings/kits, the shop owner asked me if I wanted to buy in bulk for resale. He said he had a few guys that came in two or three times a year, bought boxes and boxes of stuff, and resold it in the US/UK.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ddold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default good answer

I bet that is a source of some of it. Maybe some are from a LHS that carries everthing but has few train customers.
    I do seem to remember CONCOR selling off over stocks at one time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some buy from estate sales.

Some buy from out-of-business hobby shops.

Some buy from people quitting the hobby, or quitting a particular scale.

Some buy from people who bought from one of the above.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought some new rolling stock this past year and haven't got taken yet. Yuo must pay attention though or you will.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine got into and out of nscale in one year so to help him into Rc cars bought him out. I was a truck driver coast to coast walked into a hobby shop in sioux city Ia they were selling a collection of some guy that died I bought it all. This dec at the train show here two guys were selling off collections from the cities. I bought buildings a 440 bachman steamer for five bucks. I gues you just scrounge and advertise buying whole collection If I get a chance I buy it all. jay

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look in the back of Model Railroader magazine there is a classified section that has wanted ads for all of the major scales. Almost all of the ads there are of the "always buying collections & inventories" variety. A lot of those guys are just looking for brass equipment for their own store's websites, but end up purchasing entire estates and selling them off piece by piece on Fleabay and other places. I'm sure there are tons of similar ads in other magazines and all over the internet as well as it's probably fairly lucrative.

Bob
    Last edited by landscaping wiz 808; 5th Jan 2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Bob Porter

~Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you!~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine had a friend of his who died. He knew I had some experience with trains and hoped I knew about n-scale items. I told him I did and he wanted to know if I would sell the estate for him. He told me the fellow had a lot of trains. I have been had by this sort of discription before, so I asked to see the items. sometimes a lot could be 10 cars and 3 engines... well, that was not the case this time. I agreed to sell the items on Ebay for him and take 10%. It should have been more like 30% because of the amount of work involved, but live and learn. When it was all said and done, I had sold over $8000 worth of stock. I kept none of it as I had a small layout at the time and could absorbe no more. It was an experience... but not something I would like to do again. At one point I had my entire livingroom couch covered 6 boxes deep with full priority mail boxes to go out. After that I learned to list only the number of items you want to take the the post office each week... so it took about 5 months to sell all the items.
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

who has friends." -- Clarence

14. The Following User Says Thank You to seanm For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They get it from all over, estate sale, people who pass,people who want out of the hobby. I only deal with certain sellers on ebay anymore. I got burnt a few times. The Favoritive Spot is a Bachmann dealer on Ebay.

Sparky(Jeff)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my early scores was a lot sale of an estate on eBay. 12 locos. I bought the whole thing for about $200 and then discovered 9 of the locos were DCC equipped.

Woohoo!
    I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locomotive howling off to the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. - Jack Kerouac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MooseID View Post
    "Let the buyer beware."

Ebay sellers/resellers are a devious lot.

They bear watching at all times.

I doubt that many of them will reveal their sources for fear of competition.
    yep there are alot of seller's who are underhanded, I for one am not Been doing it for over ten years I gain nothing by ripping ppl off but then again I only sell top of the line stuff,I'm sure the ppl here that have gotten stuff from me are very happy. As far as where I get stuff buying collections from ppl getting out of the hobby and knowing what the market/ hobby will bare price wise.you have to buy it right to sell it right.
    SCOTLAND FOREVER !

Anyone can model prototypically,it takes a genius to model "What If"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been happy with the results of the purchases I have gotten from Larry aka Nmanica. Larry, you have always packaged the items so well that I dont ever worry about a broken part or piece missing. You have given me great deals on my items I have purchased and I trust in the service you give. I even saw your ebay rating. Read through the comments. No one has ever said a negative thing about you. All Positive, is that why you have the 100% rating!? Now, some ebay sellers you have to be aware of. I bought from one guy, he stole my credit card number as well as a few others. I usually pay with money order if i can, but with Larry, I send him my check in the mail from Oh to Wa. It takes a bit of time for the transactions but, thats the usps for ya! Thanks for the great service Larry! I look forward to more purchases from you!
    Jeff

si vis pacem, para bellum

http://www.railstream.org/Fostoria_1.html new home of the fostoria rail cam and scanner feed!

http://128.173.197.94:443/RRCmov <-streaming video of NS Roanoke Va from Trains.com.
    http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/xx284/quietstorm454/ my railfan pics! feel free to take a look and enjoy!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much Jeff by the way your items ship today!
    SCOTLAND FOREVER !

Anyone can model prototypically,it takes a genius to model "What If"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet! just purchased the high hoods for it today!
    Jeff

si vis pacem, para bellum

http://www.railstream.org/Fostoria_1.html new home of the fostoria rail cam and scanner feed!

http://128.173.197.94:443/RRCmov <-streaming video of NS Roanoke Va from Trains.com.
    http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/xx284/quietstorm454/ my railfan pics! feel free to take a look and enjoy!