Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grass matt or loose grass

Hi Everyone
    I hope I am not doubling up on a thread, if so I am sorry

I am staring to get to that part on my layout where I want to put some grass down. I like how easy the grass mats are, but not to big on the look of it.
    I would like to use scatter but have no idea really how to glue it down if you will. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to use it, or how to get a better look out of the grass mat.
    The bloke at my local model shop suggested I use both, put the mat down and some extra scatter on top for a better look, but it may be a way to just sell me both!!
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 802 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure you will find that it is a matter of personal preference. I do not believe the mats look as realistic as the loose grass. I understand now though, that there are mats that are basically heat stretched in place. I am not familiar with them so I can't give you any advice on them. I have used "scatter" material as you call it. It will look much better IMHO. As far as gluing it down you can just brush on a coat of diluted white glue (elmers?) and sprinkle around. Plus you can blend more than one color together to get a mroe reaslistic look!

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

Ron

CEO, CFO, Head Honcho, HMFIC of the WTFRR. Because we do WTF we want when we want and how we want

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a roll of the grass mat that you are supposed to stretch over the surface with a heat gun but I have not yet tried it. Honestly, I have been just a little concerned about how to treat the edges where it meets the rest of the ground. I am thinking I might need to use it in places where I can "edge" it with a bit of finely crumbled clump foliage.
    It is better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction. - - Diane Grant

Come visit my web site - http://davidchiasson.ca/park/railroad/index.html

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided to use static grass on my layout. I started with Woodland Scenics turf products, the ground foam stuff, and it looked OK until I saw some static grass. I purchased some and made an applicator so I could make it stand up. The nice thing about static grass is that you can get lots of different colors and lengths from 2mm to 8mm.

To apply it just put some adhesive down over an area of maybe 6 inches by 6 inches. I've used Woodland Scenics scenic glue which is a thin glue that can be sprayed on. I've also used a 50/50 mix of Elmers' white glue and water and even some WS Foam Tack glue which has to be brushed on. All worked fine except the Elmer's/water mix dries with a bit of a shine as does Foam Tack. The Scenic glue dries pretty much matte. Anyway, put the adhesive down and then sprinkle the static grass over the area. Having an applicator makes a big difference in getting it to stand up. After the glue dries use a vacuum to vacuum up any loose fibers.

Here's a link to the static grass applicator I made with soem photos of the device and the results- http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...ass-Applicator!

--Sherman

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used the grass mat and the look wasn't that great. It all looked a bit too "uniform" for the area I was using it on. What I ended up doing was laying it, then adding random patches of loose material and gluing that down with 50/50 water / PVA glue. The end result was pretty good and I am very happy with it now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smostyn View Post
    I have used the grass mat and the look wasn't that great. It all looked a bit too "uniform" for the area I was using it on. What I ended up doing was laying it, then adding random patches of loose material and gluing that down with 50/50 water / PVA glue. The end result was pretty good and I am very happy with it now.
    I think that is the key, the random patches of different size and/or color mixed in. Even static grass looks a bit too uniform for any natural or weedy area. In larger areas with that uniform look I've been "planting" taller clumps of WS Field Grass and using Noch clumps to break things up a bit.

For a mat that looks pretty good check this one- http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodin...number=MN71921. It is a bit pricey though and the mat size is only 12" x 19".

--Sherman

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks All, I think I will try the loose material and skip the mat, thanks all. appreciate the help

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy I just can't see getting a top-notch result with a grass mat.

The versatility you get by use loose material is such a big plus.

This area has 3 different shades of turf...

More RR Layout Pictures 745.jpg

I would have a very difficult time getting grass mats to merge like I can loose material.

More RR Layout Pictures 746.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I do loose grass, I like to mix white glue with water at a 50/50 mix. Then I use a paint brush to spread the glue around in the desired area. Finally I sprinkle the grass. When everything is dry I vacuum up the left overs and recycle them for the next time.
    Doug S.

Proudly Serving In The US Army

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently read a good tip on vacuuming up excess turf material, either foam or static grass. Take a section of something like pantyhose or even cheesecloth and push it into the vacuum tube to form a sort of sack. Leave some sticking out all around the tube, you can hold it by hand or tape it in place. Then when you vacuum the grass stays in the pantyhose instead of going into the vacuum bag or container keeping it cleaner and easier to re-use.

--Sherman

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ever glued glitter on construction paper as a kid you have the skills to put down ground foam or any other ground cover.
    If you don like the results just put a different color or texture.