Thread: How To: Building a Fast Tracks Code 40 #6 Slipswitch

Oshawa, Canada but proud to be born and raised in Brisbane, Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slipswitch build number 3 the third day....

Well I didn't really have much time to do anything today but I found some time this evening and did some "massaging" of one set of point rails. I also modified 2 pieces of pcb tie for the throwbars. I was going to do some heavy-duty reinforcing of the pcb ties but it simply wouldn't work properly in the tests I did. The copper on the pcb won't stand up to much so the reinforcing brass simply peeled off taking the copper with it. Bummer. Anyway.....

Here we are with one set of point rails attached to their throwbar. They are a little shorter than when you last saw them simply to make it easier to get them in and out while I file down the solder that's holding them to the throwbar. It's way easier and more effective doing that than trying to do it while they are in the slip.

A little close up of the rails and throwbar to explain what I've done or am about to do.
    Blue arrow: After I cut the pcb tie to length I used an old trick from my R/C car racing days. Back then we would sand the edges of our grp and later carbon chassis parts and then coat those edges with CA glue to reinforce them. So I did the same thing here. We'll see if it helps.
    Yellow arrow: I was more concerned with making sure the points were securely attached than how pretty they looked. Now I've gone and filed these larger blobs down so they won't hit the wheel flanges but I left as much solder behind as possible.
    Green arrow: Even a cursory glance at the gap between the inner point rail tips will show that a wheel flange would have a tough time passing through here. So I took my dremel and very, VERY carefully I used a cut-off wheel at the slowest speed and opened this up. I cleaned up the rails with a fine sanding stick and then cut the electrical gap in the throwbar using a jewellers saw. I only cut till my multimeter said there was no contact. Got to keep that throwbar as tough as I can. Once I had that done I placed a drop of CA on the gap to seal the grp.

So that's one side done. Now on to the next side and then I can start working on the QuickSticks ties. They won't go on without being filed away to clear the rail joiners on the point rails of course but I also want to see if I can add another 2 pcb ties to reinforce the stock rails and the toad/closure rails.

Probably no updates or work this weekend. We have family things most of Saturday and then it's the Annual Preemie Picnic on Sunday. Our girls are graduates of the Women's/Sunnybrook NICU having been delivered at 28w so we go every year. It's the 30th Anniversary of the their NICU so if the weather holds up it should be a great day.
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" (appeared on the sign outside our Pentecostal church)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So everything is now ready to be wired and then painted.

I added some reinforcing to the top of the throwbars in the form of some .015" brass. I'll drill the holes for the servo crank wire through that and this should stop any breakage. I didn't use Pilobond as Fast Tracks recommend. Instead I used regular high strength contact cement for most of the ties and ca glue for the places where I wasn't going to be able to use the cement because it does tend to "travel". It worked out well.
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" (appeared on the sign outside our Pentecostal church)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not not whether or not their is a way to up-load files on this forum, but.......

I have made this topic into a pdf (for my one use). If Aussie approve of this (and there is a way of making it accessable on the forum) I can make this file available to all
    Last edited by Paul Bender; 18th Feb 2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Paul Bender
    ("the other one", not being a moderator on this group )

Everybody can shovel, firing is an skill

This was JGF instead of hard labour © R. de Water

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bender View Post
    I do not not whether or not their is a way to up-load files on this forum, but.......

I have made this topic into a pdf (for my one use). If Aussie approve of this (and there is a way of making it accessale on the forum) I can make this file available to all
    Paul, thank you for the offer. You use the Attach tool (available with an initial post or with the Go Advanced option for thread responses) to upload files including PDFs but there are some size restrictions. Open the tool and you will see them.

I also have to make note of the fact that this thread is 18 months old now and Aussie's appearances here have been somewhat sparse of late! You may not get a response for awhile! On the other hand, who knows....!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With max. picture compression in Word (web-publication 96 dpi) the file is still 1.8 Mb. The original file is 18.7 Mb. Those who are interested can send my a PB (with their e-mail address) and I will see what I can do with Dropbox -Yousendit

PS I did the same for the three-way point
    Last edited by Paul Bender; 18th Feb 2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Paul Bender

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go right ahead. I have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat Pro if you'd like me to make a pdf of the build process? I might be a while though because I'm busy with work and building a new layout.

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul, we have to watch maximum file sizes allowed... make them too big for a single file, and you could soon find yourself with lots of big files posters and no storage space left.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Go right ahead. I have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat Pro if you'd like me to make a pdf of the build process? I might be a while though because I'm busy with work and building a new layout.
    Eh hemmm...

Photos?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cut and paste (and a bit edited) file in Word is 20 Mb (and the associated .pdf 4Mb). If I shrink the Word file (and mainly the pictures) to "web-publication" it still is 2 Mb ( and the .pdf still 2 Mb).

Even dividing it into multiple files will not get me anyway near the allowed 100 kb.

FYI, I do not need assistance with creating the .pdf. I have the Adobe software myself, but more easily Word 2007/2010 has the build in option of saving as .pdf

As for now: those who want the file can send me a PB and I will get you the file. If I'm able to make the file downloadable from a website I will make it known

PS: Aussie, I tried to send you the original file (partely for approval), but as a "novice member" (with less then 10 posting to my name) I'm not allowed to do PM
    Paul Bender

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul, you should be good for pdf's to 1Mb now.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK Thx , I will split the document in such a way the pdf's will be max 1 Mb.

What I have done is just "cut & paste" the tutorial parts of the discussion into one document, just for easy reading. If Aussie (or somebody else) want to make a really nice looking document out of it we can always replace it.

I have not started with the double slip switch myself, although I already have the jig. What I will do is the following:
    - use the jig for a couple of 1:6 crossings
    - use the jig for a couple of 1:6 half-slips
    - use the jig for double slips

But first of all I will get some experience with making normal points. Right now I have made one set of 1:6 points, one crossing 1:6 and one crossing 1:3 (in the cross-over jig). My assumption is that for making the double-slips it will be useful to make some jigs for fabricating the smaller parts in the centre of the double-slip. I will share my experience in this topic
    Paul Bender

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exellent work Aussie! It's like making jewelry to drive your trains on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hereby the "how to" for the slip-switch building with a FastTrack jig as PDF. It is just a "cut & paste" from the previous postings from "Aussie".

This is just a document I made for myself for easy reading. I will not accept any responsiblity for any errors in the document, nor will "Aussie".

As far as I know it's not possible for me to place these files in the "download" section, but if anybody can: feel free to do
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Paul Bender

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Aussie
    I was directed to nscale.net & your post by an exhibitor at Eurospoor yesterday. I have recently started building Fasttracks points (turnouts) and have ambitions to get to a doubleslip. You provide quite a tutorial !!! Many thanks indeed, I shall definitely come back to it when my skills have improved.
    Nick
    Nick Jones

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I assume that was me pointing you to @aussie
    Paul Bender