Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does Tam Valley Servos connect directly to Team Digital SRC-16?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Oh wow, that’s pretty cool. I never could understand why there is such a huge difference in price on Code 55 switch machines.
    New, the Atlas HO switch machines usually run around $8 and the code 55 undertable switch machine runs about $14. The difference is caused by the fact that the code 55 switch machine also acts as a DPDT relay(good for powering the frog and can sometimes be used instead of an autoreverser for loops and wyes). The code 55 switch machine is basically an Atlas "Snap Relay" with the turnout throw mechanism added to the end of it.

Snap Relay:

Code 55 switch machine:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSXRobert View Post
    New, the Atlas HO switch machines usually run around $8 and the code 55 undertable switch machine runs about $14. The difference is caused by the fact that the code 55 switch machine also acts as a DPDT relay(good for powering the frog and can sometimes be used instead of an autoreverser for loops and wyes). The code 55 switch machine is basically an Atlas "Snap Relay" with the turnout throw mechanism added to the end of it.
    Thanks Robert. I’m glad you responded because I’ve been looking at both the Tam Valley and Team Digital boards and I’m getting more and more confused.
    Do any of those products control Twin Solenoid Switch motors?
    Also I don't see any frog power from either of the boards.
    JohnnyB

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tam Valley Depot specializes in servo decoders and doesn't have anything that will control solenoids. Team Digital's SMD82 will control solenoids, as will Digitrax's own DS64. If you do go with servos, you have different options for powering the frog depending on which decdoer you get. Tam Valley's Quad Servo decoder has an optional relay daghter board. Team Digital's SMC4 has outputs to directly drive relays, but you do have to supply the relays. Tam Valley also sells snap switches that you can mount on the servos.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CSXRobert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Switch Control Price Comparison

Thanks that is the last bit of information to complete my itemized list for the Atlas Switch Machine..

I just finished some comparison pricing on three different ways to do what I want to accomplish which is auto switch control with routing and power frog wiring. I based everything on all new off the shelf stuff without any modifications to control 21 turnouts. It’s just downright depressing, but it looks like Tortoise may be the way for me to go.

The three systems without shipping were:

1) Tortoise Switch Machine using: 1-Team Digital SRC16, 16-Tortoise Switch Machine, 5-#6100 Remote Mount and 5-#6101 Cable Actuator to save Switch machines and Control boards. Total $ 315

2) Tam Valley Servos using: 21-Servos, 4-Quad Servo Decoder, 4-4 Relay Daughter Boards, and cables & accessories. Total $296

4) Atlas Code 55 Switch control using: 21 - #2065 Under Table SW Machines and 2 - Team Digital SMD82 Switch Machine Driver. Total $438

The only problem I’m going to have with the Tortoise is that I’m going to have to build an extension on to the bottom of my layout to protect the SW Machines.

I am completely in shock on how much a difference Atlas is. Well I guess I’m just going to have to wait another year before I get an Athearn Challenger.
    JohnnyB

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you really need to power your frogs? Are you running short wheel based engines? I use c55 and no powered frogs and have no issues with even my shortest locos... though they are all diesel.
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

who has friends." -- Clarence

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    Do you really need to power your frogs? Are you running short wheel based engines? I use c55 and no powered frogs and have no issues with even my shortest locos... though they are all diesel.
    Aw Heck, I donít know. Iíve never run anything on Code 55 until last week when I took one loco on a little test run. I didnít notice any problems without the frogs hooked up, but then I just had it running on full throttle.

I wasnít originally planning on powering up the frogs, but when I opened up the code 55 turnouts for the first time and I noticed it already had a place to hook it up, I figureed what the heck. There were a lot of people who told me that I absolutely had to power up the frogs and since Iíll be working the yard and I might have stop on a frog, I thought maybe I should.

Anyway besides the frog I also want a signal light because I canít remember or see what position a turnout is in.
    JohnnyB

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothig wrong with doing that and it will make things more reliable... however, it is not totally necessary if the rest of the track is well powered. I suggest you experiment a little with it and see if you really need that because if you don't it will save you money in the choice of switch machines... using the inexpensive HO above table motors below will be a big savigs if you go that route, but you do loose power routing.
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothig wrong with doing that and it will make things more reliable... however, it is not totally necessary if the rest of the track is well powered. I suggest you experiment a little with it and see if you really need that because if you don't it will save you money in the choice of switch machines... using the inexpensive HO above table motors below will be a big savigs if you go that route, but you do loose power routing.
    Thanks, Iím wiring up the track now so that I can run some trains with DCC. I wonít be hooking up any frogs yet because I donít have any switch motors, so Iíll check it out. The people that told me that I had to wire the frogs were very adamant about it and practically chewed my ear off, but I donít know any better.
    JohnnyB

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember, advice is free and worth every penny.
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seanm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had completely forgotten about these, but if you feel you do not need power routing Atlas does sell another under table switch machine suitable for HO and N scale(Atlas part #65) that you can get for around $7:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...it looks like Tortoise may be the way for me to go.

The three systems without shipping were:

1) Tortoise Switch Machine using: 1-Team Digital SRC16, 16-Tortoise Switch Machine, 5-#6100 Remote Mount and 5-#6101 Cable Actuator to save Switch machines and Control boards. Total $ 315

2) Tam Valley Servos using: 21-Servos, 4-Quad Servo Decoder, 4-4 Relay Daughter Boards, and cables & accessories. Total $296
    So I'm curious, if the servos came out cheaper, why did you decide on the Tortoises?

You could also save additional money on the power routing with the Tam Valley setup by using the switches they sell that mount on the servo instead of the relay daghter boards($0.75 per turnout versus $3 per turnout).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had completely forgotten about these, but if you feel you do not need power routing Atlas does sell another under table switch machine suitable for HO and N scale(Atlas part #65) that you can get for around $7:
    Thanks, I might go that route for my 6 staging tracks.

I talked to my wife about it and she said I should go ahead and order what I want now because if I retire in a couple of years I will not be able to afford it then, so I went ahead and placed my order today for the tortoises and the SRC16.

I wish I would have done it yesterday because now I have the holiday weekend to wait on. Oh well maybe if Iím lucky Iíll get them by next weekend.
    JohnnyB

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm curious, if the servos came out cheaper, why did you decide on the Tortoises?

You could also save additional money on the power routing with the Tam Valley setup by using the switches they sell that mount on the servo instead of the relay daghter boards($0.75 per turnout versus $3 per turnout).
    Because it was only a few dollars more for the total system and the tortoise has a good track record. Plus I was reading all the stuff people were writing about for the servos and aligning them up was a constant problem. I don’t want to have to tweak them.
    JohnnyB

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I have no idea where you heard that servos were hard to align. With my fulcrum method or the crank mounting method, I can mount a servo in less than 5 minutes start to finish.... I don;t think you will be able to do the same with a Tortoise... However, I do understand torti are the norm for most layouts and do have a good track record. Saying servos are hard to mount and align is just not right.
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

Oshawa, Canada but proud to be born and raised in Brisbane, Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John there's a whole lot in the theories and decisions you're posting here that I simply do not understand. I've gone through virtually the same process as you have and I now have a drawer full of TVD products waiting their turn to be installed. I was a day away from buying two boxes of turtles and a whole lot of Team Digital and other products and I am forever thankful that I didn't go that route. Still to each his own. JMHO.
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" (appeared on the sign outside our Pentecostal church)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Number One biggest thing was the Team Digital SRC16. This was one single board that did everything and not four boards with extra devices needed attached plus it was Digitrax LocoNet compatible.

The Tortoise already had the necessary switches for power routing and signals. The TVD micro switches were only SPDT and it wasn’t clear if two could be gang together for a DPDT. I also didn’t like the idea of attaching them with double sided tape and not knowing if they were positioned correctly. I have to deal with 100s of micro switches in my job and I learned that if they don’t have a solid mounting they are constant trouble.

Also the Tortoise had a Remote Cable & Actuator kit to operate two turnouts with one SW Mach that was very clear on how it was installed. I still don’t know if I can do that with a mini servo.

The tortoise also had a pretty clear mount. A similar mount for the servo was an additional charge.

Anyway, it’s done now.
    JohnnyB

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you made the right decision for you. Please keep us informed and show some pictures as you progress.

For me, power routing the frogs is unnecessary. Mounting my servos with double sided servo mounting tape seems good enough. Have over 80 installed and working fine for several months so far in a hot garage. I can use two servos ganged with a Y cable for crossovers... they only cost $2.50 per servo. I am using routes from my throttle and pushbuttons for individual turnout actuation...You can tell I am a fan of servo control eh? (smile)
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Number One biggest thing was the Team Digital SRC16. This was one single board that did everything and not four boards with extra devices needed attached plus it was Digitrax LocoNet compatible.
    The Loconet compatibility is a very good point and depending on your plans could be very important in the future. One thing you get with Loconet is if you throw the turnouts using the inputs to the SRC16, then turnout commands will be broadcast through Loconet. If you ever do any PC based control panels this is needed to allow them to display the proper turnout positions. It is also needed for signaling logic if you get into that.

I really like the idea of using servos to control my turnouts but because of the Loconet compatibility issue I am actually considering a hybrid approach. The per turnout cost of Tam Valley's Quad servo decoder, servos, and micro switches comes out pretty close to the cost of just the Tortoise switch machines. I am considering using that combination with seperate input/route controllers(such as the SRC16 or CML Electronics Limited's DTM30 Tower Master) so that all turnout commands will be broadcast over Loconet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you made the right decision for you. Please keep us informed and show some pictures as you progress.

For me, power routing the frogs is unnecessary. Mounting my servos with double sided servo mounting tape seems good enough. Have over 80 installed and working fine for several months so far in a hot garage. I can use two servos ganged with a Y cable for crossovers... they only cost $2.50 per servo. I am using routes from my throttle and pushbuttons for individual turnout actuation...You can tell I am a fan of servo control eh? (smile)
    Hey Sean on the TVD website there is a link to a blog http://www.housatonicrr.com/const_journal_11.htm ,,,on this page he talks about modifications he made to his mounts. Seems he was having problems with Double-Sided sticky tape after a while, I realize you are not having any problems with your 80 WOW Servo's. But maybe when you get some free time you could look through that link and that page it starts once about halfway down the page then he talks about another design almost near the bottom. See what you think it's all off the shelf stuff or the local hardware store improvements, but I would really like your personal opinion, that is when you have the time.

Thanks Pete
    Eighty 1 Fourever

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are really making me regret my choice.
    I am not excitably jumping for joy over the Tortoise SW Machine and I’ve been avoiding them for years. I believe I explored every possibility that I could find and this wasn’t just an overnight decision. I’ve been looking for alternatives to the Tortoise for a couple of years. Someone from the UK was supposed to send me a sample of a servo that was popular over there, but it never happened.
    If there was a comparable board to the SRC-16 that would operate the servos I would have jumped on it. For one thing the Tortoise SW Machine is way too big in size for my little layout and that is going to be a problem in keeping my layout lightweight and portable.
    JohnnyB