Thread: Lynden Train Show

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lynden Train Show

So... looking forward to hopefully going to the Lynden train show this year. It is really pretty close to me, and I have a group of guys to carpool with this year. Should be fun!

If anyone else is gonna be there, let me know. I'll only be there on the Saturday. I've heard that this show usually gets a good showing from the bigger modular clubs in the Pacific Northwest, so I am really looking forward to seeing some high caliber modules.

Lynden Lion's 26th Annual Model Train Show

October 02, 2010
    through October 03, 2010

Sat Oct 2 from 9am-5pm
    Sun Oct 3 from 10am-4pm

26th Annual Model Train & Circus Builders Show.

NW Washington Fairgrounds in Lynden, WA.

Vendors, clubs & public all invited.

All scales of running trains, swap tables, shops, how-to clinics, etc. Sponsored by the Lynden Lions Club. Proceeds benefit Lions charities.

See the website for specific details, contact information and directions.
    www.lyndentrainshow.com

NW Washington Fairgrounds
    1775 Front Street
    Lynden, WA
    Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-...7603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,368 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be there Sat for sure. Last time I went 6 years ago was great. There were some fantastic layouts from Canada that you'll only see at Lynden.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again we seem to be discussing an event which has not been added to the calendar! (Oct 2 and 3 show a Maine show and a Sydney show). Please take note of the comment at the top of the page! Events should be added to the Calendar and then discussed - not the other way around! Would someone be kind enough to add this event to the Calendar? Thank you!

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 879 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too comply with certain demands, I have added details of the event into the calendar. However, I do not think it was worth the terse and tedious reply posted earlier.

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mill-Bay View Post
    Too comply with certain demands, I have added details of the event into the calendar. However, I do not think it was worth the terse and tedious reply posted earlier.
    Well thank you very much! I trust it wasn't too much trouble!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all fairness, they where not "demands", but a single basic prerequisite for posting to this particular forum... one that is alliterated in several places, like the Forum Description (something that ought be read to see what the forum is used for), the Announcement at the top of the forum (Announcements are there to impart important information, and should always be read), and the Notice at the top of the forum with a highlighted background (also to impart important information, and should always be read).

What is tedious, is having to repeatedly remind folks to list the event in the Calendar prior to discussing it here, when this prerequisite is clearly defined in several places that should not be missed/ignored.

So, now that that's cleared up, I hope we can get back to discussing this event, and hopefully we can get some reports and pictures from those attending.
    Bryan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhhhhhhhh yes the "Lynden Show" a few years back well more then a few years back it WAS a great show but since they have moved to the bigger building it's been going down hill since then,I don't think it's the building move itself,but the last few years it's been well dead,
    One think they need to do is getting the word out move cable TV and the sort,this is will be the 5 year I'm going ot sit this one out.Just not worth my time sorry to say.Now the show in ........ opps can't talk about that one here!!!!!

L
    SCOTLAND FOREVER !

Anyone can model prototypically,it takes a genius to model "What If"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how you quantify good and bad. It was not too bad in terms of what I was able to find there. It was nice to see some nice N and Ho modular layouts I had never viewed before. Some of them had interesting layout and design concepts. I would say, though, that in my opinion, it was not really worth the $5 dollar head tax to get in, but I was also traveling with a group who wanted to get out of there in a lot shorter time then I normally would have. Biggest detractor, is that it was setup in one of the buildings for the NW Washington fair, which was obviously a barn, and you could tell it in the air.

Because I was there so briefly, I did not get a chance to look around for any other forum members. Actually it didn't even occur to me. Next year, I might go in on my own and see if I can't where something identifying me from this forum. For my purposes, however, I managed to get quite a few good photos of modelling ideas I liked, I picked up two of the old Atlas/Kato RS3s which run quite nicely and look good, as well as an assortment of cheap-ish cars. I managed to make myself a nice little mixed train with a smoothside Baggage/Mail, a few boxcars and caboose. Perfect for me: I love isolated branchline mixed trains wandering off into the timber.

Biggest thing I regret not getting is a set of five Seattle and North Coast boxcars. If anyone knows where I can get some still, give me a heads up, ha-ha, but aside from that, I could really have spent the day there by myself just watching all the layouts, and I would have been more satisfied. It was a decent show all things considered.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Next year, I might go in on my own and see if I can't where something identifying me from this forum...
    Maybe an "nScale Member" button?
    429587391v5_150x150_Front.jpg

Or any one of the numerous other items from our Merchandise Store.
    Bryan

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,368 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good idea Bryan! It's been 6 yrs since last I was at this show. I thought it was a fair size considering the size and population of the surrounding area. I was disappointed that a couple real nice modular layouts from Canada did not attend. The boarder crossing has become a hassle since 911 and that could be the reason. There were a lot of detail parts to be had that made me happy. Mill-Bay's nose must be more sensitive than mine, for I did not smell anything unusural. I thought I did real good getting out of there with spending only about $10.00. Going by yourself is a better choice, I think also. You end up seeing all your local friends there anyway, and you can move at your own pace. It was a fun day with a lot of nice layouts and worth the trip for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll second Michael's thought on great thinking out of the box by Bryan on the button idea!
    Eighty 1 Fourever

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Maybe an "nScale Member" button?
    429587391v5_150x150_Front.jpg

Or any one of the numerous other items from our Merchandise Store.
    I'll definitely keep that in mind, Next train show is the one in my home town a week and a half from now, but I better start a separate thread for that one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well for those that were close and did not got it was a great show. I'm happy I went and met some new people and had a great time even after driving almost 300 miles to get there. we will be back
    rich
    www.rslaserkits.com