Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,822 Times in 583 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Painted" billboard ads on buildings

You know those old advertisements and signs that were painted right on the building? This little tutorial will show how it can be done using a sign printed on regular paper and glued to the building. I don't remember where I read about this technique, but I knew I had to try it for my big Coca-Cola billboard, as the decal would be nearly impossible to work at that size.

So here is how I did it:

First, I used Google Image search to find a Coca-Cola billboard, and found a photo of the side of a building with the sign that I wanted. I like this sign because it has some brick detail showing through (you can use it if you wish.)

It was then a matter of bringing it into Photoshop to trim it a bit, and add it to my sign sheet.

Some of you may recall I prepared a decal sheet of my signs, but I also printed a copy onto regular laser paper, both printed using the color Xerox printer at the office.

When my building was painted and weathered, I cut out the billboard (from the laser paper version.) I cut it a bit big to give me a little extra to grip for the next step, sanding.

Firmly holding the sign face-down, I sanded the back of the paper with extra-fine sandpaper to thin it out a bit. Since it's not very big, I had to rotate it to get it evenly sanded. The lettering starts showing through as it thins out.

Next, I trimmed the extra off the edges, and test fitted it onto my target building. I've had a billboard in mind for this building since I first set it up because of its prominent location facing a road.

You may have noticed that my billboard is covering some of the windows. I actually wanted the windows to pop through the ad. Positioned carefully, the sign would still be readable, and the logo is so recognizable, it doesn't have to be complete to be effective.

The trick then is figuring out how to cut out the holes for the windows. I decided it would be too risky to try to cut it before gluing, so instead, I cut some blanks out of styrene to protect my painted windows, fitted them in, and set about gluing the sign over everything. After it's dry, I'll clean up the windows.

For glue, I'm using a simple diluted white glue, brushed onto the building. I was careful to avoid putting glue into the window openings or on the blanks. (I imagine you might get some bleeding if your signs are printed with an inkjet printer, unless someone knows a way to protect it from the glue wash.)

Next, I applied the sign in the position I determined earlier, and brushed my glue mix over the top too.

I gently pressed the sign flat around the windows as best I could to get out those wrinkles.

After letting the sign dry for a few hours, I went back and carefully trimmed the windows out. At the last minute, I decided I kinda like it covering the upper right window, so I left that one in.

After removing the blanks, I found it necessary to reapply diluted glue around the windows where there was an air gap caused by the window header, sill, and blank. When that had dried, I touched up a couple spots around the windows.

Finally, I threw in a Lucky Strike sign below for good measure, using the same process (without having to cut out any windows.)

And this is how it sits on the layout looking up the street:

Kinda makes you thirsty, doesn't it.

BTW: This is my first "painted" billboard, so if you've done these and have anything to add, please do!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Coca Cola would never allow the upper window to be there. Major companies have very strict rules on how and where their signage and logos appear.

The sign company would have shortened the background to fit above the lower windows.

Other than that, It looks great.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 804 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an old, old and faded sign, Coca Cola have probably 'abandoned it', and if the building owner puts a window in from insiide his premises, I can't really see that Coke would be interested - or am I wrong in this hypothesis? surely they can't be THAT territorial?
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 784 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Komata View Post
    or am I wrong in this hypothesis? surely they can't be THAT territorial?
    Yeah, it's Coke... Not like it's UP or something....
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

Thanks
    Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Coke "Museum" is nothing more than a huge collection of advertising. Ever since they patented and copyrighted the green wasp waist bottle Coca Cola has been very aware of their image. Of the several hours spent there only ten minutes were about the company and how its operations.

By the way Coke taught UP and the rest of the corps about not giving away free advertising of their company.

The last company had a 32 page book on how the company literature, facilities, vehicles, displays and products were presented. The rules applied whether the item was as small as an auto fuse or a large power plant transformer. And this was a tiny 4 billion dollar company.

The sign looks less than five years old. The details on that overpass look great.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,916 Times in 1,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago is probably right but model railroading in our fantisy world is an escape from the legality of real life. I think you did an excellant job applying that sign and I especially like the implication that the brick wall carries through behind it. Thanks for the step by step and pics.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,821 Times in 1,628 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent. I have been thinking about trying to do that but I use an ink jet printer. You think I would have problems with it?
    - - There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I like to use that line as a jump rope. ... (unknown)

Come visit my Layout Build Thread - http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...l-Build-Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sign would fit fine in my world like in yours. Nicely done!!
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

who has friends." -- Clarence

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well done. Did you just use regular copy paper? I need to try this on a color laser.
    Yes.....I am a NEWB.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Coca Cola would never allow the upper window to be there. Major companies have very strict rules on how and where their signage and logos appear.

The sign company would have shortened the background to fit above the lower windows.

Other than that, It looks great.
    Thanks for the info, Chicago. I'm sure your right. I tend to pay more attention to getting the look I want rather than how things actually are in the real world.

I might still have the cutout for that upper window in all the bits and pieces on my bench, I'll think about filling it back in. We'll see. I still like the look as is.

Glad you like the overpass. It's one of my favorites. I just wish I could keep from bumping the railings--those things are fragile!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whiteman View Post
    I think you did an excellant job applying that sign and I especially like the implication that the brick wall carries through behind it.
    Thanks! I'd like to get a weathered brick pattern that could be inserted as a layer in Photoshop to apply the brick pattern to other signs. I'm not sure how hard this would be, but I think it could be useful for all sorts of old painted signs.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    Excellent. I have been thinking about trying to do that but I use an ink jet printer. You think I would have problems with it?
    I think I've read that it can be done with inkjet printers, using dullcoat to protect it from bleeding. I haven't tried it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    That sign would fit fine in my world like in yours. Nicely done!!
    Thanks Sean!

Quote Originally Posted by Sincity View Post
    Very well done. Did you just use regular copy paper? I need to try this on a color laser.
    Thanks, yeah this is regular copy (laser) paper. The printer I used has "solid ink," which is basically wax. Works great but shows creases if the paper gets wringled. A color laser printer should work fine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,729 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ender,

Thanks for posting this, it is going to come in handy when I get to the town on my layout. You did a fantastic job!
    Last edited by NDJim; 10th Mar 2011 at 03:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it looks just great. I put a tiny round coke sign, the "bottle top" style, on the side of my little general store. you can hardly see it, but it lends authenticity. I love your method, the effect and the tutorial. Thanks, Bill.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tutorial. This will be a great addition to some buildings on my layout!

CG

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used these ghost signs and graffiti images on my O-Gauge layout and plan on using them as well, at about a 75% reduction in size, on my N-scale buildings.

My technique is printing them on tissue paper, cutting them out and spraying the back of them with a spray adhesive (like 3M) - the reason I use tissue paper instead of regular letter paper is because tissue paper is very thin and there is no visible edge, so that once it's applied to the building it
    blends in and looks like the advertisement was truly painted on the wall. With regular paper the thickness of the edge makes the ad look like a printed billboard instead of paint.

I have also tried printing them on decal transfer paper - the kind where you soak it in warm water for a few seconds to loosen it from the backing - but, I didn't nearly like the results; it had no visible edge, but it the image didn't look right because the decal paper is clear and my printer doesn't print opaque white.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4...stgraffiti.jpg
    http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/8016/ghostsign1.jpg
    http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8724/ghostsign2.jpg
    http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5226/ghostsign3.jpg
    http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2483/ghostsign4.jpg
    http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6067/ghostsign5.jpg
    http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/1273/ghostsign6.jpg

Mort

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MortS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. How do you print on tissue paper?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Interesting. How do you print on tissue paper?
    I have a Hewlett-Packard printer like this one: http://www.balcones.org/images/balco...s/HP%20800.JPG
    It will print on anything up to about 1/8" thick.

I have also taped just the leading edge of tissue paper on to regular paper and run it through a color laser copier using the single-sheet by-pass tray.

Both methods work equally well.

Mort

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,821 Times in 1,628 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Thank you, Mort. That is invaluable information. Much appreciated!
    - - There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I like to use that line as a jump rope. ... (unknown)

Come visit my Layout Build Thread - http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...l-Build-Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you refeer to tissue paper, you are talking about the stuff that you find in shirt boxes?
    My favorite computer game is "Stump The Spellchecker"...
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/images/Flags/USA/Ohio.png

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbass01 View Post
    When you refeer to tissue paper, you are talking about the stuff that you find in shirt boxes?
    Good question.... I'm an architect and what I call tissue paper, other may call it tracing paper, onion skin, buff, etc. It's basically this stuff;
    http://www.staples.com/Staedtler-Ske...duct_SS1033694

The paper they pack shirts in has a very similar texture and I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact the same thing.

Mort
    Last edited by MortS; 14th Mar 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also like it very much. Beautiful work and your instructions can be used on so many things. Thank you.