Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Weathering!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCoastRail View Post
    Went back and added a couple more layers of weathering to a few of my boxcars.

I just bought two of these and I wasn’t planning on ever weathering my cars, but after seeing this, I think I just might give it a try. Thanks
    JohnnyB

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exceptional job. Your description was well written to. I have some of these from MT and the silver is dificult to tone hide. Maybe some dirt paint mix is in order.
    See attachments for my results, but the camera sure brings out the metal roof more than in person.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 802 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    Not bad at all, Coffeeman!

Just what I was hoping for in this thread... that we'd see some excellent examples from the experienced folk, and that we'd inspire some folks (like me!) to try it for the first time!
    Thanks!

Now I'm thinking about trying some of the other methods others have mentioned like the rust juice mentioned earlier.

For mine I just started with a shot of dull coat, then I shaved off some oil pastel and brushed it on. Followed by another shot of dull coat, then repeat.

I did attempt to get some rust on there but that didn't turn out.

I have 2 more coal cars that I want to rip out the plastic load and make my own again, and then weather them up too.

First I need more time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,704 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot about this thread. I will be posting a lot I hope. Recently caught the bug and find it very enjoyable. I rusted up a whack of trucks and replacement wheels last night for future projects.

~Sean

I HEART KATO!
    Good look with your project and remember most here saying they'll buy are blogging from daddy's basement
    - Signed, an idiot

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,369 Times in 3,308 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean, I'm gonna have to dirty up my C&O reefer now! As for the NW caboose, might I suggest that you touch just a little bit of yellow paint onto the curved grab irons on the side? It would make it feel just that bit much more complete and detailed.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I do the window glazing I will try to get the Yellow on as well. Thank you for suggesting. Do I put yellow on the hand rails on the stairs as well? I have seen several N&W pics where they use yellow railings often.
    ~Sean

I HEART KATO!
    Good look with your project and remember most here saying they'll buy are blogging from daddy's basement
    - Signed, an idiot

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a quick Google image search for "Norfolk and Western caboose" and there are tons of images showing the various caboose styles and paint schemes. Short answer is, yes, the end platform railings and stair grabs should be yellow too; however, I didn't see a photo of this particular caboose style and paint scheme. Still, you can get the general idea.

Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Sean, I'm gonna have to dirty up my C&O reefer now!
    As promised, here is my take on the very same C&O 40' mech. reefer. On my layout, it is going to serve the Winchester Apple Growers warehouse, hauling bags of apples to market.

boxcar4730.JPGboxcar4734.JPG

The second image shows a large spot on the side, which is where the original paint had flaked off (I got this car used). I tried to make it appear as a large rust spot, which is what encouraged me to do a heavier weathering job on the car overall. This is my "chalk-wash" method, which is simple and quick, but it doesn't produce professional results. I think the car looks a lot better at normal viewing distances, not so great up close (such as in photos like these).

Here are some more examples:

boxcar4741.JPGhopper4743.JPG

These last two cars were part of a "find" when I recently had to hunt all through my house for a photo album (which turned out not to be in my possession after all). The hopper is part of my rehab project for the large number of cheapo hoppers I have. I cut the side walls down by about a scale foot so that the sills are the same height as other similar hoppers, such as the 55-ton twin hoppers by Atlas or Micro-Trains. You can see the seam in this one, as you will in most of them, as I don't want to take the time to try to sand and fill it smooth; again, it looks fine from the operator's aisle. The WP&P lettering is custom decaling, over a brush-painted acrylic carbody. The RDG boxcar has rust streaks which are also done by chalks, though I used a fine brush, wet, dipped into the rust colored chalks and then "painted" on.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your ladder work. I should have grimed mine up a wee bit more.
    ~Sean

I HEART KATO!
    - Signed, an idiot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 487 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John P. those boxcar roofs look awesome, even better than mine I think.

My latest attempt was a BN 2-bay hopper, here's the prototype:

Here's mine, not quite as happy with it as I would have liked, but from a distance it looks pretty good:

Trying to get those rust streaks is kind of a pain, but if you're 2 feet away it's hard to tell that they're more blotches than streaks.
    Third Coast Railway Company
    -

The Great Lakes Railroad

"I guess architecture school wasn't a total waste, at least now I can build some sweet N scale buildings."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,673 Times in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

pretty dang close to the proto!
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epumph View Post
    pretty dang close to the proto!
    Yeppers.

My first attempt using a proto photo as inspiration.

One thing this project showed me was to use more earth toned colors rather than redish rust colors. It just comes accross more convincing.

Attached Images Attached Images
    John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 487 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, I'd bet that's an Atlas hopper in your pic...I've eyed those up whenever I make it up to the LHS...I just haven't seen em on sale though.

I typically use just browns and grays when weathering, this was the first car I'd used the redish powders on. In the end after I'd put the rust on I went over with a layer of weathered brown and ash (light gray) to tone it down a bit. The rust on the prototype was pretty bright, so I figured using just browns wouldn't be convincing enough. Most of my freight cars have a moderate amount of weathering, normally I'd just add a bit of dirt to it and be done, but sometimes I like to take it a bit further, as on this car. In general I'm fine with 95% of my rollingstock just having a basic level of weathering, but on a few cars I like to try to make them extra dirty. On the Railbox boxcar I posted earlier it turned out really well. On the BN hopper I might need to modify it a bit, perhaps make the roof a bit dirtier (since I can't see what the roof of the prototype looks like I had to guess). As long as I don't mess up a $100 loco I don't mind.

(Went back and added in another light layer of brown on the roof so it would look like the rust along the top edges blended in better. Took an updated photo below.)

Last edited by ThirdCoastRail; 13th Jul 2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Third Coast Railway Company
    -

The Great Lakes Railroad

"I guess architecture school wasn't a total waste, at least now I can build some sweet N scale buildings."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got done using Bragdon powders on my Bachmann 4-8-2. I then used MicroFlat to clear it and now it has a sort sheen to it now as opposed to just the powders. How would I go about getting rid of that sheen short of doing a repaint? I already tried more powder and it only seems to dull it just a little. I should have just went and bought some Dullcote.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey ThirdCoastRail, I have an idea on how you may be able to make it a little more like the prototype. Get a fine round tip paint brush and begin painting in that dark deep pitted part across the top with a very dark rust color. Then with a slightly rougher maybe flat brush, take a burnt umber and do the rust right around the pits and use the round tip to make the darker, more prominent lines down the side in burnt umber as well. Then use the rougher brush to dry brush a burnt sienna in lightly between the darker vertical lines. Then finish the whole thing off with the same powder you have on their now for texture.

I would try it first on a cheapo car or spare piece of of plastic to figure out what gets the exact color you are looking for; but I think you may be happy with the results. I'll post a picture of what I'm getting at whenever my powders decide to arrive. I just think that it is better to wash and start over than have something you aren't entirely happy with.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thirdcoastrail, it is an Atlas car. I picked up a bunch from a guy for a few bucks each. They are actually lousy runners in my opinion, but I have not fiddled with them much to give them a chance. I like the results on your hopper and I would leave it as is. It is convincing and close to the prototype.

Will13, if I am not in any kind of hurry I will take days to weather a car or set and here is why. Oils take three or four days to cure and I will apply some Burnt Umber into the cracks and crevices to highlight the shadows. Then I will add other colors like Raw Umber and the Siennas, and draw it all down the car with a brush that is slightly wet with thinner. This will pull much of the paint off the car but the half dried (darker) Burnt Umber will leave small traces here and there representing dark rust and pits. I then use a make up sponge with white to add highlights on the edges.
    To gain some texture the AIM powders mixed with liquid hair spray works great. I generally add this after the oils have had a couple days to dry. On the MKT hoppers I added the white Bragdon powders too early because the paint did not cure yet and while wiping on the powders I was wiping off the paint effects I created. I should have let them sit four four days rather than two.

Always experimenting.
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, John. I had the same problem when I was weathering this one. I took off some paint when I put on the powder. Just have to give it a bit more time.
    Anyway, here is my first real go at weathering. Its a cheapo bachman car I've had since forever ago. It looks much better in person, the cheap camera I have gives some of the close details a shiny look, when in reality everything is faded and the rust is darker in person.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to will13 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,323 Times in 5,215 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks fine to me, Will!
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't done much railroading for some time (work crushed me for a year).. but looking at this post is getting me motivated.

Here are a few RailBoxes I did last year that some of you may recognize.

Weathered_02.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NY Central View Post
    I haven't done much railroading for some time (work crushed me for a year).. but looking at this post is getting me motivated.

Here are a few RailBoxes I did last year that some of you may recognize.

Weathered_02.jpg
    Nice cars. The wheel and truck treatment is quite effective.
    John