Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 466 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Corrugated sheet metal

I'm working on a freight transfer shed and wanted to do the roof with corrugated sheet metal. Back in my HO structure building days I used commercial material (left over from craftsman kits) but I've never seen it in N-scale. (although I haven't looked very hard). I decided to make my own, using ordinary aluminum foil embossed on a bastard-cut mill file. There's really nothing to it (I'm not even sure this technique warrants a tutorial thread) - just use a rounded tool for the embossing (I used the end of a cheap ball-point pen) and don't press too hard or you'll get a lot of tiny strips of aluminum foil.

Even though I have the dull side facing up the foil is still too shiny, but everything will get a coat of grey primer next. (Ignore the black splatter - I always spray the interior of my structures black before finishing the exterior).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,918 Times in 1,879 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Builders in Scale make that siding, but yours looks just as good. The gray paint will definitely make it looked like galvanized steel instead of chrome. It'll also beeasier to weather if you are so inclined. Nice work Chris.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default roofing

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whiteman View Post
    I think Builders in Scale make that siding, but yours looks just as good. The gray paint will definitely make it looked like galvanized steel instead of chrome. It'll also beeasier to weather if you are so inclined. Nice work Chris.
    this looks very good did you try a paint brush, just touching with the bristles but the file is great

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect exactly what I needed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been looking around for something to use to make corrugated metal pieces. Now I have a trip to the hardware store planned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,518 Times in 526 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmccann View Post
    I have been looking around for something to use to make corrugated metal pieces. Now I have a trip to the hardware store planned.
    If you are so inclined, you can try computer ribbon cable. Here's a project I'm working on made from a refrigerant can and ribbon cable.
    20141231_012728.jpg

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mobile One For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,518 Times in 526 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also find finer ribbon cable than that. That is the lower conductor count cable and therefore "bigger" corrugation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like what you did with the file and then the foil, what was your base metal material?

matthew

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Outstanding!

Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,707 Times in 4,644 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Old thread alert. this is almost 3 yrs old. info is still good but you might not get an answer to a question...
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 466 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewd5 View Post
    I like what you did with the file and then the foil, what was your base metal material?
    Not sure what you mean by "base metal material" - it's just the foil, embossed on the file. There are different grades of aluminum foil available - mine was labelled "heavy duty", so probably a bit thicker and sturdier than what you might typically find in your grocery store.

The roof of the freight shed is just cardstock, and the individual pieces of embossed foil were glued directly to that, one at a time.

There's a couple photos of the finished shed in my "lack of progress" thread.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to code40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 626 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been wondering how to do this. Nice job!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,827 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to figure out how to do standing seam panels/roofs in N scale.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,479 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plastruct sells sheets of it. It's flat sheet with grooves in it. You add thin vertical strips into the grooves.

You can mass produce any shape you want in sheet metal with a set of male and female molds. In the case of the file and ballpoint, the ridges of the file are the female part of the mold and the male is the pen.

If I remember correctly, I think, someone made a tool that let you roll your own corrugated sheets. You fed strips of thin metal through two rollers that formed the ribbed metal sheets. Any form of sheet goods could be made like this.

You'll get more durable metal sheets if you start with the heavy duty foil sold to restaurants than with the stuff available at thr grocery. Thin copper and brass sheets can be found in the K&S display in most hobby and in some hardware stores.

Something like this for the different kind of formed sheet metal products could make a great Shapeways project. With rollers to form all kinds of siding, various types of roofing and stuff like the corrugated metal used in the sides of waterways.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Plastruct sells sheets of it. It's flat sheet with grooves in it. You add thin vertical strips into the grooves.

You can mass produce any shape you want in sheet metal with a set of male and female molds. In the case of the file and ballpoint, the ridges of the file are the female part of the mold and the male is the pen.

If I remember correctly, I think, someone made a tool that let you roll your own corrugated sheets. You fed strips of thin metal through two rollers that formed the ribbed metal sheets. Any form of sheet goods could be made like this.

You'll get more durable metal sheets if you start with the heavy duty foil sold to restaurants than with the stuff available at thr grocery. Thin copper and brass sheets can be found in the K&S display in most hobby and in some hardware stores.

Something like this for the different kind of formed sheet metal products could make a great Shapeways project. With rollers to form all kinds of siding, various types of roofing and stuff like the corrugated metal used in the sides of waterways.
    The file with the heavy duty aluminum foil looks like it will do what I need

thank you

matthew

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it when we share tricks like that, you just made my day. Your shed looks great with that roof. The silos are really nice too, coolant can with computer ribbon cable...awesome! Saw the can after a little while looking at the picture but didn't see the ribbon cable until I read the description...I like that, saving a 5$ used coolant going to thrash and turning it into a 10 000$ grain bin! that's the power of N scale!

thanks
    A child who does not play is not a child, but the man who does not play has lost forever the child who lived in him. ~Pablo Neruda

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,827 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit of a blast from the past but I just wanted to post a little discovery on this topic. I bought some expensive copper corrugated sheets from my LHS with the aims of using it as a template to make more (although when I opened up the package I realized it came with 2 sheets and isn't too bad of a deal for pure copper and I probably have enough to do some roofs now).

Anyways, my problem was getting the texture from the copper to the aluminum foil. I tried soft wood, I tried my finger, then my finger nail (which worked great but was very slow as you had to go down each groove). What worked great though was a little piece of "pink" foam. It's hard enough to make the imprint, but soft enough to form into the grooves. It had a flat side so I just wiped it down the foil and the texture instantly appeared. Anyone wanting to try making corrugated sheets, give it a try!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,479 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why not sandwich the aluminum between the two sheets of copper.

I actually did something similar with some fine corrugated cardboard from a candy box. At 1/16" they were too big for N scale but putting the foil between two pieces then gently rubbing and pressing the foil was formed.

Mountong the copper with lots of glue to fill and support the shape of the corrugations will help keep it from deforming.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.