Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrightsville Port: N-Scale Waterfront Layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baronjutter View Post
    Yeah I've never seen better looking papercraft stuff. Your dock walls are amazing. How did you come about your dock height by the way? I was struggling trying to find out if there's any "standard" height to a port but came up with nothing.
    Thank you.

There is no standard for the dock height - it basically depends where the dock is (depth and type of the shore etc.) and whether it's high-tide, or low-tide. Mine is 1.5 inches, that is 20 scale foot - it is modeled in low tide (I am yet to model the actual water mark on the wall - once that is done, it will be much clearer). In high-tide, much of the dock wall will be inside the water, leaving anything between 3-10 ft outside the water (again that depends on various factors - but overall, that's a decent range).
    Kaustav and Mouli

Website | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,790 Times in 5,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations on the magazine article! You have an impressive layout, worthy of being published. I'll have to find a copy of the mag to read it.
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had the headlight of my Kato NW2 broken and lost during an over-enthusiastic cleaning drive (the headlight still might be under the bed somewhere, but might well be sucked by the mighty vacuum cleaner). So I decided to make my own version - definitely should not be even compared with the Kato quality, but overall I am satisfied. Parts - tubes from a defective Model Power light, 1.2mm dia acrylic lenses and paper...

DSCF4872.jpg

DSCF4873.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kaustav and Mouli

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now some fun time this 4th of July weekend! Here are some pictures of my new building interior - the complete picture to come soon (as soon as it's complete). But I couldn't resist sharing some sneak peek into the interior of the building - this building will be a central story telling piece in the layout:

992777_565872806792144_1815067350_n.jpg

Lizzy, the attendant in the local small grocery store Ducketts is cleaning the floor right before closing. In the floor above Mr. Shaw had his long time friend Simon Green visiting him for an evening drink and some serious discussion on books and arts. Mr Green does justice to his name by wearing a suit of the same color and he really is not inclined to accepting that he looks awful in that suit!

1000486_565872816792143_1479633268_n.jpg

Here is Mr. Shaw again with his favorite blue bottle of scotch. You can spot a large peg in front of him (it is as large as 0.75mm dia and less than 1mm height!)

993076_565872803458811_1913536237_n.jpg
    On the second floor, however, there is romance brewing! local college student Dan Andrew had his new girlfriend visiting this evening! We expect the fancy floor lighting to be switched off very soon!!

1002108_565872880125470_1840382494_n.jpg

Here is Dan and his girlfriend with a beautiful painting in the background, and Mr. Green in his awful green suit. If you look carefully, you can spot the whiskey glass in his hand.

Well, the building is yet to be completed, so stay tuned for more updates.
    Kaustav and Mouli

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,588 Times in 3,400 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that brickwork a printed texture? Because holy moly that looks good! And the lively interiors are great, too.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Is that brickwork a printed texture? Because holy moly that looks good! And the lively interiors are great, too.

It is! Will post the complete building once built, and yes, it is hard to believe that this is paper made (even for me). This is a scalescene kit, and they manufacture what I consider as the best model railroad paper kits in the industry!
    Kaustav and Mouli

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,833 Times in 2,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow you really make paper look good!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the complete photos of the new building:

the building from the corner - two shops - one grocery and a fish 'n' chips take away shop. Notice that apartment entrance right in front of the factory - bay window, graffiti on the wall - hard to believe it is a paper kit!

Now this photo shows all the interior scenes made so far. You all know about the scenes in the corner shop building, but the scene around the Fish 'n' chips store is not yet complete. Inside we have the owner and an attendant, and outside we have the resident cat licking her paw! But these characters are yet to be developed.

The right front wall is removable and I am planning to do some extreme interior at a later stage of the layout.
    Kaustav and Mouli

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GREAT! modeling!
    Nicely built. Would not have guessed they were paper.
    Great interiors.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 861 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice work, as usual. You are making exceptional looking scenes look routine.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This task has been kept pending for a long time, so I had to do something.

Long story short, the major task was to make the pillars. So first I had cut thin (4-5mm) strips of thick 2mm cardboard and painted them - a combination of unbleached titanium white, black, burnt umber and Indian red in heavy matte medium mixed in unequal proportion to bring the rusty, weathered look. Three on the right hand was for the boat yard - wood pillars.

Now here is the boat yard:

Container portal:

Main quay with Severus:

Birds eye views:

4 major elements if the new detailing: The pillars, the ladders, the tires and the bollards:

Kaustav and Mouli

22. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,833 Times in 2,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hraka For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,767 Times in 4,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

just terrific!
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

28. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful work!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to NDJim For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you get the cranes for your docks? Is that a siimple gantry crane but modified? I could use any details on the construction if it was a kit bash.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    Where did you get the cranes for your docks? Is that a siimple gantry crane but modified? I could use any details on the construction if it was a kit bash.

Thanks.
    Hi Charles - the cranes are totally scratch-built based on prototype crane designs. These are not gantry cranes, rather bulk handling dock cranes with Latticework Boom/Level luffing type. I can make one for you if you want.

Thanks,
    Kaustav
    Last edited by nimo; 30th Oct 2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Kaustav and Mouli

33. The Following User Says Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crates, Boxes and Barrels

Got back to the layout after 2 months - took a full day to clean the tracks and get rid of the dust deposit (though the dust is possibly the best weathering material I have ever seen!).

Given everything that is going on with my life (change of job, relocation etc.), I decided to take baby steps in terms of model railroading. So this update is not really much of an update, but just to make me feel better that I am doing something!

I started with painting the wooden crates, boxes and barrels - this was pending for a long time. And then I just spent some time clicking some of my favorite angles.

Kaustav and Mouli

35. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nimo View Post
    Hi Charles - the cranes are totally scratch-built based on prototype crane designs. These are not gantry cranes, rather bulk handling dock cranes with Latticework Boom. I can make one for you if you want.

Thanks,
    Kaustav
    awesome work, parts of it resemble one MBK has labeled as gantry, but anyway i was thinking something like one of those would work for my quarry. Send me a pm with estimate?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Change, A Journey, A New City, A New Home

April 7th, 2012 - that's when I posted the update to move to our new apartment in Calcutta - http://wrightsvilleport.blogspot.in/...-home-for.html

As the title reads in that post, I really hoped that that apartment was a permanent home for Wrightsville Port - been lived in 2 places before that, I'm sure the tiny residents and workers of Wrightsville Port were a little apprehensive about another move... I myself was a little weary even to think about another move. It went pretty well for a year, and as it happens in my line of job, things started changing rather a little faster than I expected. And even before I could comprehend the length of the turns, I had a job offer that looked very promising - an opportunity to move up in life as they call it, but it also came with a condition - moving 1500 miles to another city - the city of Nawabs, called Hyderabad. As excited I was about a new opportunity, a new city, I was particularly concerned about Wrightsville Port. Although I have built this layout to suit this type of lifestyle, moving 1500 miles is definitely a tough, and may I call it, the final test of the robustness and agility of my design.

Moving ahead, night of Dec 11th, 2013 I was busy making the final preparation to 'dispatch' Wrightsville Port the next day. As you can see, all buildings, ships and details were movable, so they were removed from the layout and packed in tough plastic containers (from Mouli's kitchen) and secured with packing peanuts. The rolling stocks and locos went back to their respective plastic boxes in which they had originally arrived from the US. By midnight, everything other than the layout was packed and wrapped.

Then I removed the layout and took the opportunity to clean it thoroughly before the packing guys came the next day:

Next day, the professional packers and movers did their tricks. Along with the rest of the house, the layout components were wrapped in protective covers. I wouldn't get into the details of the professional packing methods, here is just a shot of the layout after three layers of cardboard and specialized covers wrapped it nice, warm and cozy before it was put inside a wooden crate:

Evening of Dec 13th, the layout started its journey in a 32ft container truck. We started on Dec 18th, and as you can very well imagine, in a train!

It was a special train from Shalimar, a Satellite station of Howrah Railway station - one of the worlds biggest and busiest. The train itself looked awesome in its bright red color.

I took the privilege of booking first class for this trip! It was a two person cabin, so it was sort of a overnight stay in a tiny hotel room - we had all the space for ourselves without worrying about where we were putting our luggage and shoes. Here are some shots of the cabin:

Now, travelling in train after 5 years, I couldn't help taking some pictures. However, since I cannot post all of them in here, you can read the whole entry in my blog, especially if you are interested in taking a sneak peek at some of the nice IR locomotives:
    http://wrightsvilleport.blogspot.in/...-new-home.html

Finally Wrightsville Port, accompanied by its legs and the bookshelf-cum-staging yard, plus the rest of the house arrived on Dec 20th. Upon opening the protective packing layers, there she stood, unscathed and as pretty as ever:

Today, I think I consider my greatest success as a model railroader is not being able to build exciting structures or ships, or making compelling model scenes, rather building a model railroad that has become my true companion - it goes wherever I go, it grows how I grow, it distracts me from disturbing thoughts and helps me stay focused in life... it is now a part of my small, but very dynamic and crazy family - that was the true intention of building Wrightsville Port, and I am glad that I succeeded in that - in gaining a friend in that 6X3 tiny model railroad!
    Last edited by nimo; 14th Jan 2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Kaustav and Mouli

39. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nimo For This Useful Post: