Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roads you would like to see modeled, more.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Roads you would like to see modeled, more.

I've noticed in my years of internet searching some of the larger roads do not seem to be modeled This is a combination of productions of models, and lack of layouts being on the internet/periodicals. Two lines I am surprised that I do not see a lot of are 1. the B&O. Nations first major railroad, great paint scheme, rich history and not very much in production, and very little layouts online. Second for me would be Penn Central. I know it was only a around for a short period of time, and it seems for a line that didnt last long there is a nice amount of equipment available in N scale but this is another one I never see much on layouts. I know only a small amount of layouts get pics online, youtube videos, and a very very small amount of layouts are featured in magazines...

So what would you like to see more of?
    Be positive, Be polite, have fun with the hobby!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 259 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pennsylvania RR steam engines. A ubiquitous H class 2-8-0 and a current K4 4-6-2. (An E class Atlantic 4-4-2 would be pushing it.) Followed by a Hippo 2-10-0 and a non-vaporware 4-8-2 Mountain.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rick773 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see more Chessie layouts and products. I've found a few Atlas products online, and it looks like Bachmann has a couple Chessie locos, but I've yet to see one in person.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobChuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NJ Transit... there are electric engines and coaches available in HO and O but the choices are seriously lacking in N

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nittany4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you feel about custom painting/decals for what isn't offered by the manufactures? I have had very mixed results with custom work myself. To the point its lead to some serious frustration, and doubts if thats something I want to tackle..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 285 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to mention that I usually paint a model I can't find, with Chessie being my favorite... Problem is that the Chessie scheme can be tough to paint! That's the road I would like to see more of... B&O, C&O, WM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridgeline For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milwaukee Road and SOO

or

Wisconsin Central
    C:\Users\debby\Documents\MILW_PCELogo new.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to spiralcity For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 434 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pennsylvania Railroad

But definitely MORE Lehigh Valley RR and Central New Jersey RR. They need to be represented!!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StrasburgNut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If somebody (cough, cough, Kato, cough) would offer the Comet/Horizon coaches/cab cars, I'd agree with New Jersey Transit...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SooLineRob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second for MILW and SOO. Also DM&E/ICE would be nice to see more of.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,514 Times in 4,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The model companies generally model what sells and what sells is what people see.

The B&O and Pennsy were extremely popular in the 40s and 50s. Many little boys first customization was painting a Lionel F unit blue very badly. But the B&O married it's sister the C&O and then faded from view. The Pennsylvania Railroad imploded and joined heated but dieing rival the New York Central. This mutual suicide pact spawned the Penn Central and like Yoko Ono was reviled for what happened. That rotting corpse join a bunch of other dieing Eastern roads to form Conrail. Another hated road. Then as time passes these roads are rediscovered, somehow the stink faded and they become beloved ghosts. But as ghost only certain people see them.

N scale had plenty of jade green cars or PRR hoppers when it started. Every train set included a B&O hopper or boxcar. But times change as these roads fade from memory and the cars disappeared. The deep hatred of the old molds and thick paint either sent them to the parts drawer or landfill. The 70s and 80s had lots of blue, yellow and orange locos even a bunch of bright blue ones and who can forget all the cars painted in boxcar red with a logo on them. The 90s and 00s spawned merger mania and many roads disappeared. Even more faded from memory. Even more ghosts appeared to some but enough to make a difference.

Now let's get really serious and get the manufacturers to make some Chicago Surface Lines Blue Geese and Green Hornets. And no model railroad would be complete without a Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad's Electroliners and plenty of Silverliners (even some before they got their silver paint).

There are so many fallen roads and so few people to remember them.

If you really want to feel sorry about what will never be made. Become a traction modeler. The over 600 members (worldwide) of the N Scale Traction Yahoo Group can only agree on two things…
    1. The wheels must be round.
    2. The wire above the tracks(if there) can be used for power.
    Oh, I guess only one opinion is universal.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 434 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Now let's get really serious and get the manufacturers to make some Chicago Surface Lines Blue Geese and Green Hornets. And no model railroad would be complete without a Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad's Electroliners and plenty of Silverliners (even some before they got their silver paint).
    Not a bad idea....

Actually, I think traction is totally under represented.

Sure there are the Bachmann Peter Witt streetcars, Brill and PCC trolleys, but they are still limited in scope. But the Peter Witt streetcars are a step in the right direction.

Let's see the double ended street cars and PCC trolleys! That way, you can have a "true" point to point layout without needing a loop or a turntable to turn the trolley around....

And there is one niche of the hobby that I do not see any models for, Elevated Rail Lines! Where are they?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to StrasburgNut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,072 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

As for roads; Southern, NW, L&N, Family Line System, Seaboard System, Chessie, KCS and ICG.

As for types of railroading; Short lines or Branch lines.

I think it was in the Oct. 1984 issue of MR. Someone modeled or thought about modeling Southern's Murphy branch line. It was a little used backwater branch that had all the amenities of a branch line, dirt loading docks for LCL car loading, little one track industrial spurs, but nothing fancy. The biggest attraction of it I think was that it was a very hilly run that sported 4% plus grades that called for BIG power like 6 axle power instead of the normal 4 axle power for short trains.

I've always kept this layout in mind when I was designing my layout. Which is one reason why I chose Rock Island's subdivison #39 of their southern division.
    Short trains, small industries and gave the feel of an almost forgotten section of railroading lost in time. While I probably run more trains than just a few short locals [which I do to give our bunch a few hours of fun] it gives me the chance to model that "Forgotten look", even if I'm the only that notices it.
    Another reason I made sure I included the town of Malvern and the W&OV to my layout.

Big Mainline action, no thanks. To me there is nothing better than watching a couple of old 4 axle units trundling along the tracks, bobbing up and down a section of dilapidated track at 10 mph with a several cars and a caboose in tow and wondering how long before they jump the rails.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,935 Times in 473 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rick773 View Post
    Pennsylvania RR steam engines. A ubiquitous H class 2-8-0 and a current K4 4-6-2. (An E class Atlantic 4-4-2 would be pushing it.) Followed by a Hippo 2-10-0 and a non-vaporware 4-8-2 Mountain.
    This. Definitely this.
    -Eric
    Modeling a transcontinental PRR

http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to eric220 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Haven.
    Do not go gentle into that good night - Thomas
    Dana
    US ARMY Ret
    Oil Mill Creek RR - NY, NH & H

27. The Following User Says Thank You to magi46 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the writers in MRR is a NH fan. Thats the only NH layout I have seen, and its a small switching layout.

As for the B&O, seems to get a nice representation in the world of HO.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,514 Times in 4,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StrasburgNut View Post
    Not a bad idea....

Actually, I think traction is totally under represented.

Sure there are the Bachmann Peter Witt streetcars, Brill and PCC trolleys, but they are still limited in scope. But the Peter Witt streetcars are a step in the right direction.

Let's see the double ended street cars and PCC trolleys! That way, you can have a "true" point to point layout without needing a loop or a turntable to turn the trolley around....

And there is one niche of the hobby that I do not see any models for, Elevated Rail Lines! Where are they?
    I think the choice of that Peter Witt or nearside car was a bad one. Only Baltimore had that design and they never went to any other city. Even though painted for many. There were a lot more designs out there. But I think Bachmann went with it because it was so different and they could try the drive from the GE 70 & 44 Tonners. The Peter Witts being single sided cars like most PCCs do need a turning loop at each end of the route.

The toughest part about the classic traction companies is that each had their own design. The same problem happens with steam locos. Within six months of delivery no steam loco was exactly the same as its build-mates, even before they left the factory floor they began to differ.

Although we may think the PCCs were all the same, they weren't. They did use common components which showed the family resemblance. Many variations were built. When you see a Green Hornet or Blue Goose you recognize them as PCCs but they have six doors and are wider and longer than the others produced. The one foot width difference caused them to be scrapped and parts ended up in the 6000 series L cars as they were less than ten years old.

Modern layouts can use the offerings LRV from Tomix/TomyTec and Kato. Japan is supplying these prototypes. The Seimens versions are offered by IHP/Shapeways.

The various Rapid Transit lines and LRVs are being offered as Shapeways projects by…
    Island Model Works http://www.shapeways.com/shops/islandmodelworks
    Imperial Hobby Productions http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ihphobby
    Imagine That makes NYC and Chicago elevated structures http://imaginethatlaserart.com/

The Chicago L cars use Tomix/TomyTec TM-04 chassis. Other cars use different chassis as their lengths vary.

Both Mike (IHP) and Joe (IMW) offer non N and are willing to make them into N trains.

It woukd be really nice if a major manufacturer wold introduce more streetcar types. Walthers has strated distributing Tomix Wide Tram Track for use in your city and town streets.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Modern layouts can use the offerings LRV from Tomix/TomyTec and Kato. Japan is supplying these prototypes. The Seimens versions are offered by IHP/Shapeways.
    They are gorgeous models that no doubt run extremely well, but aren't the doors are on the other side as these are left drive vehicles?
    I suppose you could always run them backwards?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rick773 View Post
    Yes Absolutely! More Pennsy Power with those beautiful Belpaire fireboxes!
    Cheers!,
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Southern! (well, duh ) I will admit that there are some issues with this.

1- Diesel locos with high short hoods (there are some available).
    2- Lots of freight cars built for the Southern that were unique.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale