Thread: Classic eBay again (again!)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,867 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    Don wanna miss dis bargain... Over $900 bucks of N scale bliss for $450... Whad am I waitn' for!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-Col...4AAOSwUaNZxaN0
    What I would have to pay for shipping is already too much for this lot, what is it worth , maybe, just maybe $ 100,-, and that's only if a few of those loco's run.

If he really thought they were worth what he's asking he would have done a better job at presenting them, the photo's just scream out " come on somebodies got to be stupid enough".
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 384 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is rare -- so tempting -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-Union-Pa...e/172973989094

Not as interesting -- not rare -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-Union-Pa...F/172974025124

He does offer combined shipping though...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,894 Times in 2,117 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    This one is rare -- so tempting -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-Union-Pa...e/172973989094

Not as interesting -- not rare -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-Union-Pa...F/172974025124

Huh? Moose no get this. There's a listing for the exact same "rare" locomotive just below it in the "People who viewed this item also viewed" section, selling for $89.95. Does the seller think no one will notice.
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Huh? Moose no get this. There's a listing for the exact same "rare" locomotive just below it in the "People who viewed this item also viewed" section, selling for $89.95. Does the seller think no one will notice.
    "a fool and his money are soon parted"...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sent a question: Out of curiosity, what makes this rare?

I was going to list the other same "rare" locos that runs less than $100, but Ebay won't let you message with links/web addresses.

For $500, you should at least have free shipping. And a $400 gift card Walthers or someplace...
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sent a question: Out of curiosity, what makes this rare?
    Response: "The price is high as there is a listing error and don’t want it to be sold."

Don't know why you just wouldn't end listing...
    This odd "reason" might explain quite a few "Classic Ebay Again" posts here.

Update: Now at $1000
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-Union-Pa...e/172973989094

Edit: Possibly seller mistake is with payment method. Interac E is some kind of Canadian bank to bank transfer which Ebay does not allow... Can't find any glaring errors. Ebay allows you to end a listing for a mistake. Always wonder if these are some type of oddball money laundering scheme.

Edit: Except, his other listings mention Interac E....
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love it:
    temp bay.jpg
    I had come across an exorbitantly priced kit. Messaged the seller to confirm price. He must have corrected. Now Ebay wants to share with me the steep, but temporary, discount...
    Almost worth it just to save the $1979.01
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,238 Posts
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Jugtown Modeler - Uh, I don't know. That box looks to be in pretty bad shape. BUT, you are in for a tremendous amount of savings! LOL
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tred For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    You've got to be kidding me?!?!?

THIS BEAUTY IS LAYOUT READY(Should read FOOL ready)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICELY-DETA...19.m1438.l2649
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Sold for $228.49 plus $10 shipping!
    Same seller. Another understated (but AWESOME) weathering job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-WEA...53.m1438.l2649

I have watched this seller's stuff go for low to average prices. I thought last $200+ one was just a crazy bidding war. But here he is again.
    More power to him. But what are these bidders thinking about. Mind you, not a terrible piece but not THAT good...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 345 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good lord, I need to find some of his bidders. Checked out some of the other auctions he has going. Has another $300+ bid for the Walthers back shop. I wonder what I could get for my The Mill kit I did ?

20170622_165535 by Adam Henry, on Flickr

I'd list it and lose money with my luck

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mu26aeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 768 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same seller. Another understated (but AWESOME) weathering job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-WEA...53.m1438.l2649

I have watched this seller's stuff go for low to average prices. I thought last $200+ one was just a crazy bidding war. But here he is again.
    This one, and his backshop, look like there is a bidding war between the same two bidders.... and most of those bids ( on both items ) are from today.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 1,881 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Something smells a little fishy on those buildings?
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    This one, and his backshop, look like there is a bidding war between the same two bidders.... and most of those bids ( on both items ) are from today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Something smells a little fishy on those buildings?
    Yeah, definitely a bit unusual but not unheard of.
    A few years ago, a seller started scratch building small Z scale structures and mini dioramas. They were, by model RR-er standards, a bit crude, amateur looking models. But they struck a nerve and she found an audience. These were selling for high amounts and I struggled with the "why & how". Later, I saw people trying to resell these with the original creators name (since passed) and listing them at the high prices they had paid. But the interest was gone. Somewhat like a small scale Beanie Baby bubble.

As you look at the previous sellers Feedback, you do see a slight trend of higher prices, more bids and interest rising.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu26aeh View Post
    Good lord, I need to find some of his bidders. Checked out some of the other auctions he has going. Has another $300+ bid for the Walthers back shop. I wonder what I could get for my The Mill kit I did ?
    That is a great looking model! But I would be wary of listing it.
    There is definitely some intangibles we are unaware of with these previous high listings.
    Any number of possibilities could explain the bidding war. From the nefarious to the shocking...

I watch these custom built items routinely and sometimes sloppy stuff goes unexpectedly high while other times awesome stuff goes unexpectedly low. (Buying Opp)

This seller in question has weekly offerings and although many have sold, they did not go for an extravagant amount like these recent ones. Why they wouldn't bid on his other stuff makes me question the events here as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude is ROCKING it... Can't explain how or why but he is making a killing. Yes, envious.... Not of his ability but of the niche/trend he found. Multiple and repeat buyers trying to outbid each other. Great place to be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16280258918...p2471758.m4703 Ebay Seller.jpg

Recently Sold: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-D...p2047675.l2557
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,261 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude is ROCKING it... Can't explain how or why but he is making a killing. Yes, envious.... Not of his ability but of the niche/trend he found. Multiple and repeat buyers trying to outbid each other. Great place to be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16280258918...p2471758.m4703 Ebay Seller.jpg

Recently Sold: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-D...p2047675.l2557
    I don't think it looks bad, I mean I've seen similar old houses around here that look work than that in real life...

but for that price!???? :yikes:

25. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    I don't think it looks bad, I mean I've seen similar old houses around here that look work than that in real life...but for that price!????
    Are the same items being relisted multiple times (might be shill bidding w/ cancelled orders if that is the case)? Some interesting discussion of this here: https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blo...356223614.html

Also some have claimed that Ebay is a mechanism for laundering money -- not sure there is much evidence of how much this is happening but here is an article about how it might work -- https://www.thebalance.com/how-money...n-ebay-4145387

There are even claims of using Ebay to help fund terrorists -- http://blog.espear.com/ebay-and-payp...nd-terrorists/

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the same items being relisted multiple times
    This is a category of Ebay items that I follow closely. I have seen this seller for over a year or more create and sell N structures and barely making a profit. Recently, he has had a run of success with prices seemingly through the roof on items that are not as well done as most folks here could achieve. I have not seen any relisted.

Out of curiosity, I have checked his buyers and there are several who regularly bid. This kind of interest is not without precedence. I have seen trends in model railroad items hit unexplained highs and then settle down. There is perceived value in what he is offering. One odd note is that in his ratings, these higher priced buyers have not left him any feedback.

Also some have claimed that Ebay is a mechanism for laundering money
    While this would not surprise me. The amounts exchanged here are not nearly enough to be a successful laundering concern. This seller has been around for a long time and only recently has had this return.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 453 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the....... $500???? And it isn't even LIT???? It's not a bad build, but I could do far better signage than THAT!!! I think MOST of us could!!!
    www.newenglanddepot.net
    But... what if I don't WANT to weather it? Hmmmmmm??

30. The Following User Says Thank You to NellsChoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your kidding right? Someone actually bought that?

Looks like a DPM Kit to me that sells for around $17 - $20, less if on sale. Who in their right mind would even contemplate paying $500 for this or any structure - assembled and painted or not? Plain downright moronic!
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post: