2. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,410 Times in 2,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've contacted sellers in the past to tell them their listings have mis-prints, they accidentally listed something for 200.00 rather than 20.00 and usually get some extremely rude replies back. One guy replied once to tell me if I don't like the price I don't have to bid. I didn't reply. Then like a day later I get a longer message from him about how he's so sick of people telling him what his things are worth he's been selling for X years and knows the market and it's people like me that are ruining ebay. They're very touchy about their price gouging. Once though I got a reply back thanking me because it was a genuine mistype that set the price too high

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    Do it Charles , do it !

Steve
    Go Charles! Go Charles! Go Charles! Go Charles!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,011 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baronjutter View Post
    I've contacted sellers in the past to tell them their listings have mis-prints, they accidentally listed something for 200.00 rather than 20.00 and usually get some extremely rude replies back. One guy replied once to tell me if I don't like the price I don't have to bid. I didn't reply. Then like a day later I get a longer message from him about how he's so sick of people telling him what his things are worth he's been selling for X years and knows the market and it's people like me that are ruining ebay. They're very touchy about their price gouging. Once though I got a reply back thanking me because it was a genuine mistype that set the price too high
    a misprint or price gouging is one thing ,but to blatently sell broken goods is a bit too far, I feel bad for the person who buys it for someone else thinking it's something.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You know what chaps my hide? When some *sshammer loads up about 58 freight cars and lists them all at once under "Locomotives".

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your thoughts on Feedback Nagging?

Seller has messaged twice about leaving feedback. I responded both times that I always do. I am 3 weeks behind. He would have received a Positive.
    My philosophy is to leave feedback for a buyer after their prompt payment. Most sellers leave me feedback first, often before I receive their item.
    Am I being an old fart or is this nagging and borderline rude? He has not left me feedback yet, assuming waiting on me.

What would you do? Ignore him, forget him, try to "enlighten" him or just leave feedback (and a choice comment)...??

Message thread:

Hi there
    I wanted to send you a reminder and ask you to leave positive feedback for this item.
    Thanks
    Victor

Dear cadama27,
    Will you be leaving positive feedback?
    Victor

Dear victor,
    yes, always do
    though despise being nagged
    - cadama27
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for reminding me, I needed to leave feedback for an item that was sent to me yesterday. Originally, it was the wrong item. I used Ebay email, it was corrected within a week. The seller was very responsive, and quick to make it right. And, I got to keep the $26.00 wrong item! Both transactions took a little over a week, and I am a happy camper.
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My belief has always been that the buyer has done their job when they pay - that's when I leave feedback. The buyer leaving feedback - well, that's something else. I get feedback from about one in six buyers.
    I feel like the fastest way to get a negative would be to bug them, so I just move on.
    As a buyer, I leave it when I get a chance to see if it works, if that kind of buy or as soon as I open and check it otherwise. Always leave it unless it's questionable and not worth a fight. Sellers who don't feedback until after the buyer does are actually breaking Ebay's rules, but try to prove it.
    Sometimes, you just have to move on.

I think I'd send a message - "Are you going to post feedback for me? I already completed my part of the transaction?"

Don
    If you're having fun, you're doing it right.
    This is not a contest.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carolina Northern For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think when emails are positioned asking if you are happy with the transaction, please let us know if there is anything else we can do, and if you are happy please leave positive feedback is far less nagging and gets to the same (probably better) result of reminding the seller to maybe give feedback. Those messages don't bother me as much (usually received from Chinese vendors that probably do huge volume).

To your original question -- I would leave feedback on the transaction (and ignore the nagging). Maybe they really need to start selling more to pay the bills and are hoping to get more positive feedback, maybe they are really trying hard to pack and ship things with careful attention and want to be recognized, whatever... I would not let it get to you too much and just give feedback on how the transaction was.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,051 Times in 1,772 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    What are your thoughts on Feedback Nagging?

Dear victor,
    yes, always do
    though despise being nagged
    - cadama27
    I think you've done a fine job with that note.
    If he doesn't understand that, then he's too dense to ever figure it out for himself.

As a seller, like Don said. less than 1 in 6 is the number I get for feedback after I sell something.
    I don't let it bother too much as I do not make a living off of Feebay, I use it for more of a dumping ground and to scare up a little cash from time to time, but damnit it's nice to get SOME feedback.

When I sell something, I give them around 2 weeks to leave a feedback. If after that I still don't hear something, then I send a polite email stating that I would like to know if the item(s) has arrived and if it's in satisfactory condition?
    If so please leave feedback so that I know it arrived and you're happy with it.

After that I never send them another note, I figure they'll respond or they won't.

Believe it or not, about 50% will respond, of those 50% around 15% of them will actually reply to my email saying "Yes! I got the item and everything is good. Thanks for checking!" And will not leave me feedback, jerks!

When that happens they get a free pass to my list of blocked bidders. I actually had one try to bid on something else I had listed later.
    When he figured out that he could leave a bid I got an email from him asking "Why? I just bought something from you a few weeks ago, why can't I bid now?

I don't reply.................................Then I move on and continue to leave feedback for others who have done their part and paid.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 777 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback is one of the things I really despise about ebay, as there's no way to reward exceptional service. It's just glorifying mediocrity. All the seller needs to do is properly describe the product and ship it out in a timely manner. If they do that, all they've done is what they said they'd do under ebay's terms of service. How does that deserve anything more than an average rating? 99% of my ebay transactions have been pretty much just that. I have had some awesome transactions where the seller went out of their way to make an item available for me or include a bonus item. How do I say that's exceptional? Write a comment that noone reads? All people give a crap about is numbers. So mediocrity gets rewarded same as exceptional. It's a stupid system.

Then there's the rating where I have to give a star value to the communication... If we didn't communicate, just made a transaction, why does that deserve a star at all? I have no idea what their communication is like, we didn't talk.
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ranulf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,051 Times in 1,772 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranulf View Post
    Feedback is one of the things I really despise about ebay, as there's no way to reward exceptional service. It's just glorifying mediocrity. All the seller needs to do is properly describe the product and ship it out in a timely manner. If they do that, all they've done is what they said they'd do under ebay's terms of service. How does that deserve anything more than an average rating? 99% of my ebay transactions have been pretty much just that. I have had some awesome transactions where the seller went out of their way to make an item available for me or include a bonus item. How do I say that's exceptional? Write a comment that noone reads? All people give a crap about is numbers. So mediocrity gets rewarded same as exceptional. It's a stupid system.

Then there's the rating where I have to give a star value to the communication... If we didn't communicate, just made a transaction, why does that deserve a star at all? I have no idea what their communication is like, we didn't talk.
    I agree.
    And if you don't give five stars, then they will block you or send you nasty note.

or better yet, eBay will send you a note asking why you didn't leave a higher feedback or was there something wrong?

Stupid...
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,009 Times in 315 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Along the lines of feedback, what chaps me is "watchers". I had a 3 pack of LPG tankcars that had 15 watchers on it yet only 3 different bidders. In the future, I'm tempted to add to my descriptions something to the effect of "if you're watching this with no intention of bidding, please unwatch before 24 hours of end of auction". I was kind of excited I might have a bidding war erupt to watch it sit there with no bids in last 12 hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu26aeh View Post
    Along the lines of feedback, what chaps me is "watchers". I had a 3 pack of LPG tankcars that had 15 watchers on it yet only 3 different bidders. In the future, I'm tempted to add to my descriptions something to the effect of "if you're watching this with no intention of bidding, please unwatch before 24 hours of end of auction". I was kind of excited I might have a bidding war erupt to watch it sit there with no bids in last 12 hours.
    I find I only get 1 bidder for every 6 watchers. I don't let it bug me. I watch auctions sometimes to see what the item sells for. Sometimes something I want will get resisted for less, so I save some money sometimes.

I don't give feedback on a buyer until after they give me my feedback. I don't know if they are going to make it a good transaction or miserable transaction until that point. When I buy I try to give feedback as soon as I have the item. I find that is a fair system.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,011 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    I find I only get 1 bidder for every 6 watchers. I don't let it bug me. I watch auctions sometimes to see what the item sells for. Sometimes something I want will get resisted for less, so I save some money sometimes.
    ditto... I will often watch stuff to see what happens, if it doesn't sell it will notify me when the item has been relisted then I'll either buy it or let it go.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

NOTE: Search options for Ebay have changed. I first noticed this a couple weeks ago and thought it may have been a glitch or browser problem, but after some testing and elapsed time it would appear that Ebay has changed it's search engine a bit.

You no longer will get accurate results when trying to filter with the minus ( - ) sign. For example, previously if I searched with the string "N Scale Alco RS-1" I might get a few HO entries, unless I used the minus sign to tell the search engine to ignore whatever string follows it. Example: "N Scale Alco RS-1 -HO".

Now not only does it filter out the HO results but many if not all of the N Scale ones. I've noticed a change in result accuracy for some of my other search strings, some of which were rather extensive, like when I look for Classic Metal Works cars. I don't want to see trucks or trailers or busses, so I'd have a very long line of filters to narrow it down to mostly just cars. Not working so well now. I guess that perhaps Ebay doesn't really want you to filter your results.

Eventually, Ebay will fold and close for good, because all they've done for the past twenty years is progressively alienate their sellers and buyers. There's no reason to expect them to do anything different, and eventually everyone will have had enough of their crap. I'm almost there myself. I will not sell there any more, and buying isn't far behind.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,622 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I haven't bought anything off Ebay for more then 2 years, the reason is it's not a fleamarket anymore ( hasn't been in a long time ) , it's become a stripmall where most of the sellers are just shops selling their normal products at normal prices.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I buy and sell on Ebay and they have made many changes that benefit Ebay. They just changed the home page for sellers, more clicks when they should be making it less...
    They are also closing Half.com on 8/31. Amazon books is killing them.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve from PA For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    I think I haven't bought anything off Ebay for more then 2 years, the reason is it's not a fleamarket anymore ( hasn't been in a long time ) , it's become a stripmall where most of the sellers are just shops selling their normal products at normal prices.
    Yeah. Used to have mostly auction style listings. Now, "Buy It Now" is norm and outrageous pricing.
    Still, of the 119,000+ listings, about 5% are auction style and that is roughly the same number, 6000, of auction listing I recall in the N scale category as few as 6-8 years ago....

If you only search auctions, it narrows your grouping and there are still some decent opportunities to purchase stuff.

Just my 2 cents... FWIW... (Buy It Now - $5.00 )
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post: