Thread: New/Help

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New/Help

OK, new guy here. I was going to go HO, Had motive stock, rolling stock, some buildings and some track and roadbed. It kinda got side tracked because of farming. Well I finally got smart and got out of that before the markets went south. Been sitting around thinking about the HO layout plan. Even got a table built. Then my buddy, Procrastination came to visit! He and I have been spending a lot of time together! We gave a son a KATO N starter set for his birthday thinking that he and my grandsons would have something to do! Well that got me to thinking (not a good thing for me). I got this board built, and what a layout it would be! The table is 9'5"X8' with a hole offset that is 35"x5'. The 5' side runs with the 8' side. It has 18" of usable area on both ends. The hole is offset to one side and starts 30" from the wall. I have someone who wants the HO stuff so now it's a matter for getting started with N. When I was doing some trading/buying of HO stuff I somehow wound up with an oval of Kato Unitrack. After seeing how well the KATO starter set performs I want to use KATO track on my layout with a double track main line. US type equipment, industrial/mining, freight type operation. SO any suggestions, help with track planning and so on would be greatly appreciated! I have an MRC DCC controller that I plan on using too. In real life I still own 3 tractors, a tractor loader backhoe and an old D4 7U Cat dozer!

Thanks and HI!

Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 6,625 Times in 1,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@oldtanker

Welcome to the greatest wee n-scale forum on the interweb!

Sounds like you're on the right track with Kato track and a DCC controller (Moose opinion).

As for the as-built table, if you can post a link to a photo sharing site like Flicker, and put a sketch of the table with dimensions, note the areas that you can access within 30 inches (kinda of a standard reach limit) and photo or two, that would help the super awesome track planners here on nSn help you plan a great layout.

FYI: You will have to post something like ten times before the moderators let you post photos directly on this site.
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,068 Times in 3,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Aboard!

It sounds like you actually have quite a lot of real estate to fill up, you can get a lot of N operations in the 75 square feet that you mention. If you're truly new to the hobby as a whole (i.e. you've not built a layout before) it might make sense for you to do something on a smaller scale first. You might even do something that later gets incorporated into the larger layout footprint, for instance maybe you do a 30" x 60" layout that becomes one of the sides of your big donut. Basically any layout plan that you like for an HO scale 4'x8' layout can be reduced to fit 30"x60" for N scale, so you can just spend time googling for 4x8 layouts.

And when your buddy Procrastination gets done over there, please send him my way. He was supposed to come stay with me for a while, but I guess he never got around to it...

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,189 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@oldtanker - Welcome aboard, Rick. I think you can find a multitude of Kato layouts using a Google/Image search like this one.
    https://www.google.com/search?newwin...90.mBXxX8EvtTs

Or you can just search the images using different words (such as N scale layouts / model train layouts / N scale track plans) in the search bar. There are thousands of ideas out there on the net. The biggest problem you'll find, is finding one that works for you. And, another thing, you can always adapt one of them to fit your own needs or style.

Happy hunting!
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,005 Times in 4,120 Posts
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the fold!

Sounds like Mr. P did you a favor. You will really like the ease of how Unitrack is for the beginner.

I would say say if you already had picked a plan for the HO track, in all that space, there is no reason to abandon it. Most HO plans, especially those from Atlas and Model Railroader, work much better in N scale. No need to make anything smaller. Lay the track out exactly the same. Adjusting things like track spacing. But keep the radii the same. Building the layout this way makes a better layout as scenery has more room. Distances are almost doubled, spacing for other features and towns better. The final scenic layout looks way nicer as everything is more realistic.

If you don't have a plan yet, there are lots of plans here. Many are in our albums.
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/album.php?albumid=345
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/album.php?albumid=393
    Most of the plans are in Tomix Fine Track which is a direct competitor to Kato Unitrack. Ask questions, if you like something. Modified plans can be worked out.

Since you don't have enough track to fill your space, the next best thing to see what you can do, is use track planning software. You can find many in our LINKS folder. Most are FREE or their demos are. Unitrack plus the software is like having the key to the hobby shop with no credit limit. Creating plans is like playing with LEGOs just snap stuff together and see what develops. If you get lost, we can help. Every program there has users here.

MRC DCC systems are really simple to learn and operate. The Prodigy line prints the instructions right on the back of the hand held controller. No need to learn computer programming. Which system do you have?

When you start putting track together, the new track can seem expensive. Look around for used tracks. Though still not dirt cheap. The build quality keeps them in great shape. They last through hundreds of assembly/disassembly cycles. Stay away from modified pieces.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, thanks guys. While I'm not exactly new to model trains I'm not really what you might call experienced. I spent from 74 to 96 in the Army and did build a few small layouts but the forced moves made that pretty impractical. I did nothing with trains until 10 years ago when one of my grandsons got interested with Thomas. I got a start then started farming. We own 200 acres in west MN. I did a lot of grandpa's daycare starting almost 14 years ago now and am still doing some with 2 9 year old and a 3 year old granddaughters. That's why I quit farming when I did. Farming and the need to get crops out was conflicting with taking care of the girls when I needed to. While I'm far from rich I'm not hurting either. I can afford new track if I buy some each month. My task over the next couple of days will be to get the stuff the table has accumulated over the last several years and then I can get a few pictures.

Before I worry about track I'm going to need at least one engine and some rolling stock.

Tried posting a drawing of the table but can't quite figure that out yet? Maybe I gotta get more post approved first?

Anyway, the table is constructed out of a 1x4 framework and has 1" foam down on the top. I originally was going to do an OK sized HO layout on it but now with going to N I can really have something cool.

Table is 8'X9'5" The hole is 5'X35". The 5' run is parallel with the shorter 8' side. The opening is 30" from the one side of the table. The wide part is accessible from both sides while the 30"wide part is against a wall. The larger area is about 48" but as I said it's accessible from both sides.

I played around with DCC with the HO stuff and experimented with the Bachmann EZCommand. When I got close to the never reached starting point with HO I decided that I liked DCC enough to spring for a MRC DCC unit. It's NIB.

I kinda like the KATO unitrack system as it's easy and seems very nice when compared to the alternative. Key factor here is patients.......that I lack! And the fact that I can get the unitrack in a double track kinda seals the deal. I really don't enjoy laying cork roadbed, nailing down track and spreading ballast. Call me lazy!

I appreciate all the help offered so far. Thank you!

Rick

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 707 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Here are some samples of Kato Track Plans http://www.katousa.com/track-plans/n-plans.html
    Also there are many members on this site that are well versed in track planning. Just post what you like to have as far as a layout. Someone is bound to jump in and assist you.
    "It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Gary

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ike8120 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The reason I mentioned the cost of Unitrack is that many people complain about it and see cork, ballast and track as much cheaper. But they don't put in account the amount of time and effort they put into it. Plus Kato can be wired without even looking at a soldering iron. They don't realize that Unitrack results in a layout in minutes, not weeks, months or years.

Japanese model RR clubs can fill a hotel ballroom floor in a few hours, play with it for a full day then do a tear down. Yes an N-Trak club can do something similar but they have spent many, many hours on each module. The clubs go straight to track and place structures.

As you are new to the group, you cannot attach images until after your tenth post. We are just making sure you are real. Then you can create your own albums or attach photos.

There is a knowledgable member in almost every part of our hobby. The other parts we just fake. Don't worry, we are good at it. Once you you have cleaned the table and acquired some rolling stock, set up your Unitrack and run some trains. It will help keep you going until your final plans begin.
    Last edited by ChicagoNW; 13th Jan 2017 at 07:45 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again thanks guys! I got nothing done today, at least on the train. I keep my mothing and brother in law's drive clean in the winter. MIL is 80 and my BIL although younger has a bad heart. I do that with a 706 IH Farmall tractor http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...rmall-706.html and 7' 2 stage blower. It has a cab and heat. But I have to drive 8 miles to the MIL's then another mile to the BIL's. Then add in a 70 year old friend who called and ask if I could do his. So I did do something productive, just not on the train! Tomorrow I have a VA appointment so I doubt that I will get anything done tomorrow. The wife and I are going to browse some N scale stuff together after dinner. Buildings and vehicles mostly. She really likes doing scenery. Time will tell if she's any good at it!

You guys do go out of your way to make people feel welcome!

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to nSn! You're going to love it here.
    The guys have pretty well covered everything I would have said regarding track, DCC, etc. Once you can get a picture of your space up (many of us are much better with pictures than verbal descriptions!) we can offer some more insight into what "we" would do, if it were up to us.

The only thing I feel obligated to say is, once you're approved, post some pictures of the tractors!
    One of my hobbies outside of Model Railroading is restoring & farming with antique tractors. A friend and I currently make hay off his ~25 acre field once or twice a year, and this year past, took on a neighbors field essentially doubling the size of our operation. Aside from a couple-year-old Kioti compact, pretty much our entire fleet is from the early 50's thru late 70's, and pretty much all Farmall. I also plow my sub-urban driveway (and several neighbors) with a '54 Super-C. Beats the heck out of shoveling!
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid
    Junction Design
    Custom Designed N-scale Stuff!
    www.shapeways.com/shops/junctiondesign

Have a product you would like to see made in N?
    Feel free to get in touch with suggestions!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to siderod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick, with respect to your wife liking to do scenery: if she has fun doing it, then by definition it is good! You will find many here have a recurring theme of right being the way you want it and do it. that prevalent attitude was one of the things that drew me in to join (and the phenomenal depth of knowledge readily shared here).
    - Rob
    Interests in Northern Pacific, Missouri Pacific and predecessors
    Going in direction of FreemoN (and Freemo for leftover HO gear)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

table.png

OK, the long sides would be to the left and right at 9'5" and the short side top and bottom at 8'. The opening in the table is 30" from the top with 18" on the left and right. The large section is 48". Long side of the opening is 5'. All designed for a 30" or less reach depending on where you are standing.

Small city from older to newer, industry, maybe a small strip mine, double line main is what I have in mind.

Thanks

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post
    @oldtanker - Welcome aboard, Rick. I think you can find a multitude of Kato layouts using a Google/Image search like this one.
    https://www.google.com/search?newwin...90.mBXxX8EvtTs

Or you can just search the images using different words (such as N scale layouts / model train layouts / N scale track plans) in the search bar. There are thousands of ideas out there on the net. The biggest problem you'll find, is finding one that works for you. And, another thing, you can always adapt one of them to fit your own needs or style.

Happy hunting!
    I told him to move on......he's procrastinating!

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OK, as I see it your major city is on the narrow section, unless you want to have a streetcar or rapid transit system. Large parts of the city would actually be backdrop. Serious urban areas get really expensive. They need buildings the way forests need trees. And you'll need a lot of them too. Even though Chicagoland http://www.nscale.net/forums/album.php?albumid=254 was primarily an urban/suburban plan, when I pulled the scenery off it, I filled six gallon sized Ziplock bags with trees. I also pulled two, ten gallon tubs of structures.

Various industries sidings would branch off runaround tracks connected to the mains. Including one to process the stuff dug up at the mine. A smallish Union station would serve several run through tracks, giving you possibilities for commuter and interstate passenger traffic.

The large side is perfect for big chunks of open country(much cheaper to build). It also gives you enough space for a couple of well spaced small towns out there as well. A reasonable sized open pit with loading tracks will definitely be a feature industry. Each of the small towns having a suitable passenger/freight station siding with a team track and maybe a minor factory or industry track. The space could be scenicked With a small mountain range that separates the towns and mine plus it's service town.

Now, if you want to include Rapid Transit or streetcar/LRVs the whole concepts flips. Putting your major urban center on the large section. That way you can develop different neighborhoods, commercial, retail and industrial areas. Your people movers taking the little plastic residents to work, shopping, recreating and home. A small yard is used to break up trains and make up locals to deliver to the various industries.

The mine on the smaller part of the benchwork would mostly be off the layout with the service tracks being more important. Having less space would mean having to lose one of the small towns. Two would crowd it. You'd have the HO/O scenario, where the train enters one town before leaving the other.

In both scenarios the double mains wander across a majority of the benchwork, giving the longest run possible without running into itself. The two short narrow areas would serve as transitions from the smaller to larger scenes. They might even be part of the mountain range with tunnels acting as a viewblock of sorts.

The one thing I'm not sure of, is how, you will treat the pit. Will you operate from it? Or will you hide it with backdrops operating by walking around the whole space. Only going into the middle during construction and emergencies?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I've live and worked in Germany a number of years I'm not too much into mass transit so I'm not thinking about passenger service/lite rail at all.

Never thought about putting the city back there but that's a great idea!

Not as young as I once was so yes, the opening will be used during the build and emergencies.

I'm still thinking the unitrack by KATO. Just seems to be a simple way to do it. I'm thinking about buying an inner and outer loop set to start along with a cross over and 2 switching yard sets. Then all I would need to expand as I build is to buy filler pieces.

Thank you.

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because someone ask I'm going to give this a shot.

whit2.jpg

It worked! That is my nephew. I was digging rocks out of one of the fields he and my brother in law owns with my backhoe. For those who don't know rocks have a tendency to break things like plows or disk when you are tilling a field. The field was a small one, 14 acres. I dug 57 rocks out of it. That was the biggest!

dozer (2).jpg

D4 7U the day I bought it. 1947 serial number 18.

003.jpg

Youngest son on my Farmall M doing some mowing for an old family friend.

Rick

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldtanker For This Useful Post: