Thread: Monroe WA - 26th Annual Washington State Model Train Show and Marketplace

Thanks
    Thanked 6,900 Times in 2,119 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Monroe WA - 26th Annual Washington State Model Train Show and Marketplace

The 26th Annual Washington State Model Train Show and Marketplace is coming up next month in Monroe, and Moose reaaally hoping to go! See Calendar for details here!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,409 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty much planning on attending. Driving to Monroe is a lot less onerous if one takes SR167 to Highway 18, then 18 into North Bend, then the highway through Duvall to Monroe. One avoids I-405 and the rest of the WSDOT-made mess.

However. . . I've been "asked" to help with the cutover on Feb. 25 for new-and-improved CP King Street, right there in the shadow on Century Link Field and Safeco Field. Our little baby control point -- well, not so much a baby when one considers it initially had 10 switch machines; it's on the big side -- which I helped cut over in June 2008 -- is now going to boast of 30 switch machines and three new diamonds. Each diamond has four switch machines. (The switches for the diamonds look to be no. 6s or 7s. All of the new stuff is for Amtrak's revamped yard at King Street Station.)

Anyway, cutover begins Friday at 2200 to 0630 Saturday. I have to be there from 2200 Saturday to 0630 Sunday. I could still do Monroe, but I don't want to risk not being rested for the cutover. ...

Vince P Guest

Wont be making the show either as new job starts monday already in SLC waiting for Monday orientation

Thanks
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, Mrs Moose wants to go to the Flower and Garden Show this weekend ... Guess there's no show in Moose future either ... Darn plants...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

Vince P Guest

Welcome to the married Meese Life @Moose2013

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided to forego the trip to Monroe this coming weekend - kind of a long haul from central Kitsap county. So ..... I did a road trip yesterday to Tacoma. good news was donuts and trainstore shopping; bad news was George is closing Tacoma Trains and retiring. He plans to be out by the end of April.
    - Rob
    Interests in Northern Pacific, Missouri Pacific and predecessors
    Going in direction of FreemoN (and Freemo for leftover HO gear)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RH Bay View Post
    I did a road trip yesterday to Tacoma. good news was donuts and trainstore shopping; bad news was George is closing Tacoma Trains and retiring. He plans to be out by the end of April.
    I was there Saturday as well. I've been a customer of Tacoma Trains since 1992, just after George opened the doors when it was inside Freighthouse Square.

That makes two good Tacoma hobby shops specializing in model railroading that will have closed their doors in the past five years. The hobby isn't dying, but brick-and-mortar hobby shops sure are.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RH Bay View Post
    I decided to forego the trip to Monroe this coming weekend - kind of a long haul from central Kitsap county. So ..... I did a road trip yesterday to Tacoma. good news was donuts and trainstore shopping; bad news was George is closing Tacoma Trains and retiring. He plans to be out by the end of April.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    I was there Saturday as well. I've been a customer of Tacoma Trains since 1992, just after George opened the doors when it was inside Freighthouse Square.

That makes two good Tacoma hobby shops specializing in model railroading that will have closed their doors in the past five years. The hobby isn't dying, but brick-and-mortar hobby shops sure are.
    Moose thought that Bill had bought the store from George a year or two ago ... That'Moose confused...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George had sold the store on terms; the purchasing party had some difficulty, so George took it back last year. Now he's liquidating.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    George had sold the store on terms; the purchasing party had some difficulty, so George took it back last year. Now he's liquidating.
    Pardon moose language, but crap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should up there for the Saturday. I was impressed by the number and quality of N scale layouts, but there was one Z scale that had them all beat, .

If any of the guys I showed pictures of my double-ended Milwaukee Road F7 are hanging out here, feel free to shoot me a message. I'd love to chat about Milwaukee trivia.
    Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-...7603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,914 Times in 1,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad to hear that someone made it to the show. Monroe was always my favorite when I lived in the area. Did anyone take any pictures?