Thread: PLEASE -- Need HELP applying the Boeing 737 decals

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question PLEASE -- Need HELP applying the Boeing 737 decals

How did you apply the decals to the 737?

I bought the micro trains set, I wasn't confident enough to put the decals on fuselages, so a let an experienced friend do it. He has had nothing but trouble applying the decals.

1. He washed the fuselages.
    2. He applied both Micro sol and Micro Set to the decals, and brushed on Micro Set to the area(and some) on the fuselage.
    3. He then slid the decal onto the spot and it immediately stuck, even after applying more Micro set. While trying to adjust the decal, it curled up and couldn't be salvaged; we tried a few common methods.
    4. The second time, we got the wing decal to work, but we had to slide a small part off the paper and align it to where the decal would be placed. I had to hold the decal in place, while pulled the paper from under the decal.
    5. He then tried the windows, but was concerned about the same issue happening again so he cut the windows into three sections.
    6. The middle section went better, but not perfect.
    7. My Friend said the decals were too thin and painted them with a clear coat(acrylic?) while they were still on the paper. He let them dry for 24 hours, but still had trouble getting them to look right.
    8. He mentioned he was going to wax the fuselage to help it.

Any thoughts? Please help?

Any way to improve the look of the decals?

here is the first side done.
    20170926_011047609_iOS.jpg
    Any thoughts? Please help
    Jerry

If you haven't broken something along the way, you haven't learned anything.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 396 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He applied Micro Set "before" placing decal??? I wet the area where decal is to be applied with excess water (I use a Q-Tip to reduce larger droplets). Next I place decal, and position it using water droplets as a lubricant. Then I brush with Micro Sol and allow decal to adhere to surface, removing any excess water drops with new Q-Tips, after I have determined decal is in correct position. I brush clean water to remove excess Micro Sol, then apply Micro Set. Wait 24 hours, and apply a clear coating.

One more thing. I always place model in refrigerator to cool surface for an hour before applying decals. Saw it on a model car how-to video many years ago. Helps reduce tension, and allows decals slide on surface water layer.

He used an additional coating for thin decals? Did he check for compatibility first? Maybe coating was not compatible with Micro products?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKGEO View Post
    He applied Micro Set "before" placing decal??? I wet the area where decal is to be applied with excess water (I use a Q-Tip to reduce larger droplets). Next I place decal, and position it using water droplets as a lubricant. Then I brush with Micro Sol and allow decal to adhere to surface, removing any excess water drops with new Q-Tips, after I have determined decal is in correct position. I brush clean water to remove excess Micro Sol, then apply Micro Set. Wait 24 hours, and apply a clear coating.

One more thing. I always place model in refrigerator to cool surface for an hour before applying decals. Saw it on a model car how-to video many years ago. Helps reduce tension, and allows decals slide on surface water layer.

He used an additional coating for thin decals? Did he check for compatibility first? Maybe coating was not compatible with Micro products?
    Yes. He brushed Micro Set and Micro Sol on the Decal before placing the decal, and then he brushed Micro Set on the Fuselage before the decal and on the decal as he was applying it.

The picture in the post shows results after the coating.
    Jerry

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is he brushing micro sol on the decals before applying them? Micro Sol causes the decals to weaken so they call fall into the details.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep apply the micro solutions after they are in the correct area, dont before.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 471 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never tried any of these products or done much with decals. Thanks (and sympathy) for asking the question, and thanks for all the educational responses.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always done micro set to prep the area, place the decal then micro sol to finish. The micro sol is designed to make the decals flimsy so they fall into the details.
    Did someone say whitcomb?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the info. I will let you know how it goes.
    Jerry