Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Script ideas for a train movie?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there is a Disney short animated story, Paperman...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0MRsf5HSc

This has different music for copyright reasons - but you get the drift

Original Score
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkL05VRrV3c
    Last edited by Scotian_Huntress; 11th Nov 2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: missing link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 627 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    No simple love stories about two shy people who often take the same train?
    Nothing wrong with that at all! It's just that romantic comedies are perhaps the most difficult type of scripts to write. Nora Ephron I'm not! The horror genre is often chosen for indie projects since they require the fewest acting skills and can get away with less than stellar dialogue. One of my favorite love stories on a train is the 1984 film, Falling in Love, starring Meryl Streep and Robert De Niro (also love the excellent score by Dave Grusin). No small feat finding actors of that caliber!

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 472 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew you were looking for horror suggestions, so I was speaking tongue-in-cheek, as if it were truly scary what our fellow railroaders fantasize. Thanks for the movie reference - I'll put it on hold at the library!
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

5. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Style:

The thing that interests me the most is the voyeuristic aspects from @WP&P's notes. Hitchcock's Rear Window, and many of Brian De Palma's films have these very "observational" scenes where a character witnesses mundane occurrences; e.g., in DePalma's Dressed to Kill (1980), in the Chicago Art Museum Art Institute of Chicago scene, Angie Dickenson is making idle notes in her day-planner: She observes a young couple kissing, an Asian couple's kid run somewhere else in the museum, etc. All of these entirely normal activities really sell the authenticity of the scene.

The "lost" kid passes frame and then a stranger then takes a seat next to Dickenson, where DePalma's exquisite seduction scene unfolds: Dickenson expresses the entire range of human emotion, all without a single word of dialogue. See the scene here in this YouTube video—possibly the best 9 minutes and 52 seconds of film DePalma has ever shot. [The initial moving shots are dolly shots, followed by a Steadicam sequence (Angie is looking for the man), and a final sweeping crane shot which lands the punchline].

The "Aha!" which @WP&P's idea sparked was to create multiple voyeurs (GUY and PHOTOGRAPHER) . . . multiple POVs, (including even common surveillance camera footage). I can also add a Metro cop's POV as someone else suggested. Plus the surveillance cameras' POVs. This way, we may trick the viewer, playing a guessing game of "Who's watching who?"
    Last edited by Metrolink; 5th Dec 2017 at 02:53 AM.

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,482 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since this is being shot guerrilla style, is it possible to quickly tape greenscreen paper over a couple of windows and just shoot in the moving car? Two or three conspirators would be needed to do a decent job. The paper could be ripped off easily when exiting the car. With a bit of prep the paper might be shaped to fit on the inside of the windows, giving you a little more time.
    Another idea - Green Foamcore would not react as much to moving air. It is super light and relatively easy to carry around, cheap enough to be disposable.

With the green in place the outside view could be controlled. It would not matter what time of day was outside or if the view was even real. That way shooting could take place during odd hours. Ever notice how the last man on Earth only wanders an empty LA, as a newspaper wafts past, at 6:30 on a Sunday morning?

Then again, why not make the action at the station and on the train too ordinary. Our quirky heroine overhears a plot about trains being attacked. With imaginary cutaways of things happening on a layout(old Hollywod trick, use models instead of real thing) which adds a surreal touch, if the models aren't perfect. The vision could be her's or the plotters. They never pay attention to her. They have seen each other on the train multiple time before. Does she first talk to her friends about it?

While such things are taken more seriously today than they used to be. Either move the time period to a safer time(clothes and vehicles) or make something about the attack beyond belief. That way she is not believed when she reports the conversation. Maybe model cutaways with fantastic plot details and overdub description. Because she is not taken seriously, the info is ignored. Life goes on.

But the next time she takes the train, the plotters continue or repeat the conversation. Again she goes to authorities, but the unbelievable part of the plot, makes her look a little crazy, her unique style only enhances the police's opinion. Again the ordinary things continue.

Of course again, the next time our misunderstood heroine overhears the fantastic science fiction style plot (each time becoming more detailed) does she try the authorities? Do they take her seriously, or consider her for psychiatric evaluation (she is off beat) or just ignore her again?

Do we end the story here?
    Is there somebody that sorta believes her at the police station?
    Is the plot real?
    Just a couple of guys describing a home model?
    Maybe some special effect sequence they are shooting?
    Could such strange things actually happen at the Maple Street line? (Insert Twilight Zone sting)

The woman reveling her inner Bruce Willis would be too expensive.

By the way, it is the Art Institute of Chicago.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 450 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just pulled this idea out of my arse, but it would be sort of a Sci Fi movie where the main character(s) are on a train and due to some natural disaster or other excuse, the train has to be re-routed. The alternate route has a tunnel on it, and seems unfamiliar to anyone on the train...when the train emerges on the other side of the tunnel, things seem to be normal for a while until, through a series of ever-increasing occurrences, it becomes apparent that they are actually on a model railroad layout of gigantic proportions, and our heroes have to figure out who is running the layout, how and why, and how to manipulate the situation to get back to wherever the tunnel is and 'escape' back to reality.

I'm not sure if our main characters are passengers on the train, or in the cab of the locomotive, or what...it would probably be more interesting if they were passengers, but maybe not as credible as if they were railroad personnel operating the train.

They could enter the tunnel at night, so when they emerge into the 'layout', the streets of towns are empty. Maybe there's a 'parked' car or two with its headlights on in the middle of a street or something as a hint, but it doesn't become really apparent til daylight and it's noticed that first farm animals don't move, then townspeople don't move, etc, and then that the scenery eventually repeats itself, didn't we pass that same train before, etc.

Now watch....5 years from now this will be released and win 18 Academy Awards and I won't even get a cup of coffee...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to recall an MRR fantasy article about this - the whole point was the hilariously out of scale e.g. football sized ballast, ugly blotchy faces, too green grass, oversize rail etc.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Again, thanks for everyone's help! Below is a photo of the girl I'm thinking of casting as the principle. She's a YouTube star who I shot when working on a segment for Halloween. She's very pretty in person with a lot of energy and natural charisma.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 579 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't there a site where you can register script ideas and maintain copyright / ownership of them?

Snowpiercer is getting made into a TV series I think...

I saw a good Korean movie about people on a train surviving a zombie apocalypse (by trains are a bigger part of Asian culture) -- Train to Busan -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Z5bM5WlSM

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Isn't there a site where you can register script ideas and maintain copyright / ownership of them?
    Yes, it's the Writers Guild of America, West (WGAw). Anyone can protect their script using their online form here for only $20 (you don't need to be a member; though, guild members can register their scripts for just $10 each).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,829 Times in 2,526 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    What dark minds model railroaders have! No simple love stories about two shy people who often take the same train? Guy without courage to introduce himself, fantasy images of heroic acts in train disaster. Girl's fantasy images (whatever those might be, I'm a guy, so I wouldn't know) domestic scene with guy running vacuum cleaner (now that is a fantasy image!)?

And the Lady or the Tiger ending....do they ever get together, let the viewer decide.

Yes, I know, the OP specified horror genre, but I'm just a romantic at heart.
    theres always room for a combination, although ive yet to see a good one....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I saw a good Korean movie about people on a train surviving a zombie apocalypse (by trains are a bigger part of Asian culture) -- Train to Busan -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Z5bM5WlSM
    This was a darn good zombie movie... as zombie movies go... but it holds its own as an action movie set entirely on a train which is not easy to do.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    They could enter the tunnel at night, so when they emerge into the 'layout', the streets of towns are empty. Maybe there's a 'parked' car or two with its headlights on in the middle of a street or something as a hint, but it doesn't become really apparent til daylight and it's noticed that first farm animals don't move, then townspeople don't move, etc, and then that the scenery eventually repeats itself, didn't we pass that same train before, etc.
    This is by far the very best script idea ever! :chocho:
    Ken Price
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/s...ice/?start=all

It's around 1996-1999. UP, MP, SP. South Valley Railroad. Some where in the west of Texas. Near San Angelo.
    Started in 2007, Super Empire Builder with radio throttles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 579 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    I just pulled this idea out of my arse, but it would be sort of a Sci Fi movie where the main character(s) are on a train and due to some natural disaster or other excuse, the train has to be re-routed. The alternate route has a tunnel on it, and seems unfamiliar to anyone on the train...when the train emerges on the other side of the tunnel, things seem to be normal for a while until, through a series of ever-increasing occurrences, it becomes apparent that they are actually on a model railroad layout of gigantic proportions, and our heroes have to figure out who is running the layout, how and why, and how to manipulate the situation to get back to wherever the tunnel is and 'escape' back to reality.
    There is a Hong Kong movie about a group of people on a bus that go through a tunnel and suddenly think they are the only people left in Hong Kong...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midnight_After

Thanks
    Thanked 8,078 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do some of the ideas remind this moose of a Twilight Zone episode?
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post: