Thread: Novel way to gently apply wet water in small areas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 455 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Novel way to gently apply wet water in small areas

I was looking around on Ebay for a better way to spray wet water and ran across these "facial misters" that use an ultrasonic chip to atomize water. It comes out in a super-fine mist. It's supposed to be for misting your face. I went ahead and ordered one just to see how well it worked.

What I wanted it for was small areas that tend to have the light grass and other dry scenery moved or blown away by my the force of my small sprayer. Sometimes even drops out of a dropper will move the grass. I thought this might be a cool (no fun intended) way to apply wet water very gently and precisely.

Well, it works surprisingly well (for small areas). You take the top off and fill it with water. I use Jet Dry to make wet water so I added a few drops of that to the water. It worked just fine and when you open the door out comes a very very fine mist which wets the scenery without blowing it away.

It has a rechargeable battery you charge from the USB port on your PC.

You just gotta get over the "U-Kiss" label (I re-labelled mine "Mister" and the little shiny heart on the front. Who cares as long as it works!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-kiss-Nano...72.m2749.l2649
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,551 Times in 4,538 Posts
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, that will be a perfect Christmas present for my wife!
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epumph View Post
    Well, that will be a perfect Christmas present for my wife!
    Exactly!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great find and a perfect solution to a long time problem - ground cover getting blown all over the place while wetting down or droplets of glue/water causing clumping etc etc.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,320 Times in 4,295 Posts
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since I am without a wife, I don't have any excuse to buy one.

But isn't much cheaper to spray your wet water into the air and let it rain down onto the area you want to wet?

By not shooting straight at the area, you do not apply any force. Perfume sprayers are known to have a much finer spray. Plus they are made to deal with alcohol, a major component of many perfumes.

Though l can see the device used as a way to add a scent component to some scenes. This seems much easier to work with than smoke units that heat up an oil and self destruct when they run out.

You could add a few drops of PineSol to the water in the tank and get the scent of a freshly logged area. Or maybe use various baking/cooking flavor liquids to simulate various food industries. Maybe even a few drops of beer in the tank for a brewery or bakery. There were some parts of the real Chicagoland, where the smell of chocolate or fresh bread was so strong, it made you instantly hungry.

The on/off switch could be modified so that it is activated remotely or by a stationary decoder. There are infrared or motion detectors that could be pointed off the layout so the mister activates when someone is near.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Since I am without a wife, I don't have any excuse to buy one.
    So am I but I managed to come up with an excuse!

But isn't much cheaper to spray your wet water into the air and let it rain down onto the area you want to wet?
    Cheaper? Cheaper? Well, I suppose but I like to experiment with new ideas and it isn't so expensive as to deter me. And yes you can spray water up and let it rain down but again it's not precise and might get parts of the layout wet that you don't want for some reason. Remember I said it's for small detail work not large areas. I've found it really nice for small areas that you need to go back and re-do or just want more exact control over the spray of water in the small area.

Though l can see the device used as a way to add a scent component to some scenes. This seems much easier to work with than smoke units that heat up an oil and self destruct when they run out.

You could add a few drops of PineSol to the water in the tank and get the scent of a freshly logged area. Or maybe use various baking/cooking flavor liquids to simulate various food industries. Maybe even a few drops of beer in the tank for a brewery or bakery. There were some parts of the real Chicagoland, where the smell of chocolate or fresh bread was so strong, it made you instantly hungry.
    I don't know how "pure" the liquid needs to be in order for the device to work and for it to remain in a workable state after use for a long time (24 hours?). I do know it continues to operate OK with wet water and I would bet alcohol would also be OK but scents or other larger molecules might clog it up - someone would have to X-periment further with that.

The on/off switch could be modified so that it is activated remotely or by a stationary decoder. There are infrared or motion detectors that could be pointed off the layout so the mister activates when someone is near.
    That is definitely a possibility.