Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 730 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gatrhumpy View Post
    Conrail. Damn. There goes another $187 of mine.
    I was thinking the same thing
    "It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Gary

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, no undec? Pfft, come on Intermountain, loads of us paint these things up in our own roads, and it's never pleasant to paint over a lovely factory applied livery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    The first batch of roadnames isn't doing much for me. Although they did do TC&W in HO, so maybe they'll do that in N someday.

-Mark
    I'd rather have an undec, truthfully. This is precisely the sort of small B-B diesel that a shortline like what I'm modelling would hoover up in droves, budget allowing.
    Welcome to the AHHR, where Steam and Diesel work together!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyC6 View Post
    Aww, no undec? Pfft, come on Intermountain, loads of us paint these things up in our own roads, and it's never pleasant to paint over a lovely factory applied livery.

I'd rather have an undec, truthfully. This is precisely the sort of small B-B diesel that a shortline like what I'm modelling would hoover up in droves, budget allowing.
    Buy the one that has the correct color handrails for you and strip the shell. It costs less than $1 to strip one down.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta get myself an ADM version :d2:
    Did someone say whitcomb?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    I gotta get myself an ADM version
    Those do look nice...
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    Buy the one that has the correct color handrails for you and strip the shell. It costs less than $1 to strip one down.
    What I'll probably do is just buy the Conrail ones and spray over what's already there. The paint already on that thing will work as a primer, it's already the same general color(Albiet a much lighter shade, the blue my shortline's livery is based on is much deeper and richer than what Conrail uses), etc-etc. Handrail color happens to line up too, but honestly, I'll just paint them too.
    Last edited by JennyC6; 15th Nov 2017 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't look like it would take much alteration for IM to use this tooling for a Santa Fe 'Topeka Cab' geep rebuild that were also grabbed up by shortlines from coast to coast when Santa Fe finally pensioned them off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to westfalen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 253 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    While on the subject of IMRC locos.
    Has anyone heard whether or not Digitrax, TCS, NCE or any of the other aftermarket producers are planning to make drop in chips for the SD40-2 or even the new GP10?
    This is the only one that I know of so far for the IMRC SD40-2.

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/ESU54650Lok...nforPost-.aspx

Cheers,
    Brian

Thanks
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 1,806 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    This is the only one that I know of so far for the IMRC SD40-2.

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/ESU54650Lok...nforPost-.aspx

Cheers,
    Brian
    Hey Thanks Brian.
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear in my question.
    I'm looking for a chip OTHER than an ESU.

I have no issue mixing brands of chips, but the one IMRC SD40-2 I had, when I played with that chip, it seemed you needed to be a college grad to program and understand what all the damn CV's were.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyC6 View Post
    I'll probably do is just buy the Conrail ones and spray over what's already there.
    Remember this is just the first run. IM might run an undec in the 3rd 4th run like they are with the SD40-2 line
    What did you do today to make the world a better place?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    I'm looking for a chip OTHER than an ESU.

I have no issue mixing brands of chips, but the one IMRC SD40-2 I had, when I played with that chip, it seemed you needed to be a college grad to program and understand what all the damn CV's were.
    I haven't run across another DCC board in my searches. And I have done very, very little in the way of programming on my DCC equipped SD40-2's. It was easy enough to re-map the rear lights to F3. Other than that, NOPE! I'm a college grad with a degree in computer science/business. You have to have a PhD to program these decoders IMHO. Luckily I know a PhD in comp sci.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I haven't run across another DCC board in my searches. And I have done very, very little in the way of programming on my DCC equipped SD40-2's. It was easy enough to re-map the rear lights to F3. Other than that, NOPE! I'm a college grad with a degree in computer science/business. You have to have a PhD to program these decoders IMHO. Luckily I know a PhD in comp sci.
    Must be something different going on, then, because I've got a couple of LokPilot Micro V4s on my layout and they weren't all that hard to program to my liking. Hell, took me longer to get my SoundValue DD40AX set up just so than it did to get every LokPilot 4 I own set up just so!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 1,806 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well good for you Jenny! Now we can all relax.

Here's my issue, like I said I have not an issue mixing chip brands.
    I currently run Digitrax, TCS, few NCE's and some Atlas Dual Modes (which are only temporary until I get replacements).

I for one am not a sound fan, yes I like the idea, but I'd rather run in silent mode. Just my choice and am not asking to be persuaded otherwise.
    I bought a few of the IMRC Deuces when the Rock Island versions were released, w/o sound. Figured I'd give the great ESU chips a try.
    When I got the units home I got them out and wanted to run one to get it broke in, but.......

Could not get it to run very well. When I ramped up the throttle it acted as if the momentum was set to max. It slowly started to move.
    So I thought "Well let's reset the momentum to "0" so I get this thing up to speed and get broke in". The way it was it would just start to move, then stutter, then stop and then it would repeat itself. It just never had enough speed to overcome what was keeping it from running, maybe the blackening on the wheels? I don't know.

So I started programming it, Great! There's the momentum, I set it to "0" and ............nothing, it still was just trying to crawl and then stutter. Did a little grumbling, did a little more programming, nothing.

Then I found what I was looking for. It's called DELAY. This allows the prime mover sound to rev up before the motor starts to move it. I shut that little SOB off and viola! I have normal throttle control. I can see why this is designed that way. It is something that bothered me about sound all along, the loco moves and then the prime mover revs up, that's just dumb! That's not how they work in real life? I'm glad ESU figured this out.
    So I get it.
    But what I don't get is why I had to go in and mess with this in the first place because I don't have a sound equipped loco?
    Then I began to wonder what other happy crap I was going to have to wade through just to get my trains to runs as they do with normal DCC chips?

Once I had this reset I was now ready to let the unit run and let it get broke in, or so I thought?
    Main problem that I was having, were the front trucks on all the units. Now understand! This is not a bitch post against IMRC, I was half expecting mechanical issues with the Deuces.

For whatever the cause, the axles in each of the front trucks were not turning, period. This did not help with the slow increase in speed.
    So I may not have needed to rest whatever CV it was that I found to "0". needles to say the units got returned the next day! Problem solved and I moved forward.

I have hit a plateau with my trains where I'm very comfortable and satisfied. I have no further need to make them run any different, no sound, no fancy lighting, none of that. I merely wish to go downstairs, turn on the layout and run my trains under typical DCC controls. To me it seems there are a lot of CV's packed into one little chip, more than I need for my trains as I enjoy them.

So for me I'm wondering why another aftermarket company like Digi, TCS or any of them for that fact haven't produced a basic DCC chip for these units. I'm hoping like hell someone does.

I have not given up on ESU or IMRC, as I have ordered a couple of the New GP10's W/DCC. I'll give it another try.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin