Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Now Have an Ancient Weller 8200 Soldering Gun... and QUESTIONS!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a beast of a soldering iron. My had one when I was a kid and used it all the time. I also think it is like using a sledge hammer to drive tacks. A lot of overkill. If you are good and comfortable with soldering, run with it, but if not, try something a little less extreme. Don't waste your time with something too small either. Clean and properly prepped joints will bring the most success.

Trey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gosha View Post
    The local Ace Hardware store still has tips although they are almost outrageous in price. The ones without the nuts (you reuse the old ones) are more reasonable.Doug
    Yeah, but don't be like this dumbazz 14 yo kid who cut the old tip off, bent the new one to fit, and then tried to figure out how to get the nuts on. There went an hour's paycheck.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under my layout attaching feeders to the bus this morning. I reached for my trusted gun and stopped dead. OMG, the guys on NSN say this is a bad tool for the job.

After I finished laughing, I soldered the feeders, cleaned the track and ran trains on the new track.

Don
    If you're having fun, you're doing it right.
    This is not a contest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carolina Northern For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Northern View Post
    I was under my layout attaching feeders to the bus this morning. I reached for my trusted gun and stopped dead. OMG, the guys on NSN say this is a bad tool for the job. Don
    Nobody ever said it was a BAD tool. Nobody ever said a howitzer isn't a BAD tool to get rid of a housefly. They both do the job. In the right hands with years of experience they may do a credible job on most wiring. "Years of experience" is the operative phrase.

If push comes to shove I could do surface mount parts on a pc board with a gun. But then again I've been using it for sixty years. I teach students to do SMD with a 40 watt pinpoint tip and they are successful. Would they be successful with my 140 watt boardburner? Probably not. What I think all of us are saying is that there is a best tool for a job at this scale and it isn't a gun. Yes, a controlled temperature iron is over $150 but if you are going to be doing this either a lot or for a living, it is the tool of choice. At this level, at this size.

Thanks,

Jim

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jweir43 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 587 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical soldering temp for small wire or through hole components is around 650 - 700 F. I even go less when I do delicate SMD LED stuff. First point is you want to know temperature - not watts. Watts doesn't tell you what the tip temp is.

From the datasheet for a Weller 140/100W gun -

Temperature Range 1100 deg F / 900 deg F

That's way too hot for small N scale jobs/ small wiring. I never turn my Hakko iron beyond about 700F. If you want to solder larger wires you get a larger tip with more heat reserve. Like I analogized to, I can kill a fly with a .45 ACP bullet, but the recommended tool is a flyswatter. Can people kill flys with bullets? Sure, but it's not recommended. My opinion for the readers out there that want to get into this hobby is to not use a Weller (or similar) soldering gun, because the heat is beyond what is needed and can't be controlled, but get a nice temperature controlled soldering iron for this hobby. That is rational sane advice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And with that, I'll say goodbye.
    I've been discussing the change in the atmosphere here with several long time members over the past few weeks. I've decided not to watch another Might Mac incident. We gravitated here for a nice place to discuss trains with our friends - this isn't the Railwire and anyone who checks into more than one forum knows about the meltdown over there in the past few weeks.

Don
    If you're having fun, you're doing it right.
    This is not a contest.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carolina Northern For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jweir43 View Post
    Yeah, but don't be like this dumbazz 14 yo kid who cut the old tip off, bent the new one to fit, and then tried to figure out how to get the nuts on. There went an hour's paycheck.

Jim
    Yeah, ya gotta watch that.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Gosha; 2nd Dec 2017 at 01:40 AM.
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 464 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carolina - Don't run away!

I didn't want people to question each other's skills here, I just wanted some basic info regarding this specific soldering gun for now. Let's keep it civil, folks...
    www.newenglanddepot.net
    But... what if I don't WANT to weather it? Hmmmmmm??

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NellsChoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NellsChoo View Post
    Carolina - Don't run away!

I didn't want people to question each other's skills here, I just wanted some basic info regarding this specific soldering gun for now. Let's keep it civil, folks...
    I agree with Nells. Simple disagreement is what makes horse races. Otherwise forums are just for patting each other on the back. That's hardly advancing the state of the art. We all put our thoughts and experiences out there and Nells gets to sift through and make her own mind up.

Jim

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jweir43 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree, we can, and should, respect others opinions weather or not we agree with them.
    Now, if someone chooses to force their opinion on somebody else...well there are other forums that condone that.
    Go with what you have, unless you have excess discretionary funds, then you should buy what you want.

No need for drama, who gives a **** what someone else thinks is best?
    As long as the job gets done, who gives a flip?
    Last I checked, it was YOUR railroad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the drama started when assertions were made that the Weller gun was totally unsuitable for anything N.

Doug

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too a degree, YES. But it has been proven it CAN be used, maybe just not for soldering wires to a DCC decoder!

Incidentally, I finally went into the cellar and looked at the gun that came with the lot of auto parts/tools... GUESS WHAT??? SAME GUN, complete with parts and instruction manual from the EARLY 1970s!!!! Looks hardly used! And of note, the extra UNUSED tip IS INDEED ALL COPPER-COLOR! The chrome-color ones much simply be a newer version for some reason. Now that we have a more complete and minty one, we may keep that one at my boyfriend's house, as his is broken. That way I can always borrow (or steal) it.

Just shows to go you, the 8200 was indeed a very popular soldering gun!
    www.newenglanddepot.net

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NellsChoo View Post
    Too a degree, YES. But it has been proven it CAN be used, maybe just not for soldering wires to a DCC decoder!

Incidentally, I finally went into the cellar and looked at the gun that came with the lot of auto parts/tools... GUESS WHAT??? SAME GUN, complete with parts and instruction manual from the EARLY 1970s!!!! Looks hardly used! And of note, the extra UNUSED tip IS INDEED ALL COPPER-COLOR! The chrome-color ones much simply be a newer version for some reason. Now that we have a more complete and minty one, we may keep that one at my boyfriend's house, as his is broken. That way I can always borrow (or steal) it.

Just shows to go you, the 8200 was indeed a very popular soldering gun!
    Nels, you have so much sympathy that your boyfriends's gun is broken.

Jim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weller did, indeed, sell tips unplated, bare copper. Also, the present day tips are just tinned. They are not iron or some other metal. If you scrape them, you will eventually see copper underneath.

Doug

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, and "fix" some of the High Speed Metal Products junk that's out there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mhampton View Post
    Yeah, and "fix" some of the High Speed Metal Products junk that's out there.
    I had to look that one up! I can think of some other good "targets"...................... BUT that is a whole other thread! :l:
    www.newenglanddepot.net