Thread: Atlas ALP-45DP and Bombardier Multilevel commuter

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Atlas ALP-45DP and Bombardier Multilevel commuter

I'm really excited to finally have some more modern passenger equipment on the way! They're not listed on the Atlas website, but there's a video of them as well as Facebook posts! (skip to 1:28)
    West coast modeler, 1/144 commercial aircraft builder, and shapeways seller of buses and subway cars

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to themikepeng For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much committed to my transition-era modeling now but I may have to make a special for some the nice modern Northeast Corridor-applicable models that have come out lately.
    JERSEY CENTRAL LINES -- Road of the Friendly Trains

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the New Haven NE-5 caboose there, any day now!

Joe

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone heard of a release date for these yet?
    Thinking about transitioning from HO to N...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might grab one of those SD-60Es just fort the sake of having something with working ditch lights on my railway. Pretty snazzy that they're able to offer that in N scale for a reasonable-ish price.

Wish they'd do more steam power, though.
    Welcome to the AHHR, where Steam and Diesel work together!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West coast modeler, 1/144 commercial aircraft builder, and shapeways seller of buses and subway cars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, way more options than I had anticipated! 5 locomotives, 6 cab cars, 22 trailers!

Atlas went ham and now I'm sweaty trying to resist...
    JERSEY CENTRAL LINES -- Road of the Friendly Trains

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NJ TRANSIT may not fit with the theme of my layout but this train does fit into some plans I was thinking out. I was thinking of having an electrified line and a non-electrified line. This would be the perfect train to run between the two lines. Since I am not trying to model a certain prototype hey why not. Union Pacific freight trains will be running next to both Amtrak and NJ TRANSIT trains. I was planning to have a fictional large metro off layout in which hidden staging would function as. The main city of the metro could be New "J" something and suddenly the train can make sense haha. Would love to do a NEC layout but I love UP freight and don't have room for both. So funky hybrid here I come!

I will find a way to have them make sense. Pre-order has been placed. I put in order for two DCC ALP-45DPs, one cab car, and eight trailers. Will run two train lengths. A shorter train with the cab car and a longer double ended with both 45DPs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyC6 View Post
    I might grab one of those SD-60Es just fort the sake of having something with working ditch lights on my railway. Pretty snazzy that they're able to offer that in N scale for a reasonable-ish price.

Wish they'd do more steam power, though.
    The Atlas Dash 8-40CW had working ditch lights in the DCC equipped version back in 2009 that you could turn on and off and flash, an advance in detail that stalled a bit until now like the working classification lights on the H16-44 in 2003 that we haven't seen on anything else since.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 809 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digitallagasse View Post
    NJ TRANSIT may not fit with the theme of my layout but this train does fit into some plans I was thinking out. I was thinking of having an electrified line and a non-electrified line. This would be the perfect train to run between the two lines. Since I am not trying to model a certain prototype hey why not. Union Pacific freight trains will be running next to both Amtrak and NJ TRANSIT trains. I was planning to have a fictional large metro off layout in which hidden staging would function as. The main city of the metro could be New "J" something and suddenly the train can make sense haha. Would love to do a NEC layout but I love UP freight and don't have room for both. So funky hybrid here I come!

I will find a way to have them make sense. Pre-order has been placed. I put in order for two DCC ALP-45DPs, one cab car, and eight trailers. Will run two train lengths. A shorter train with the cab car and a longer double ended with both 45DPs.
    You can get custom-made decals made for your freelance commuter rail line and patch over the NJ transit logos. Commuter rail operations lease/sell equipment to each other all the time, so this kind of thing would be prototypical. NJ transit might have bought new commuter coaches and sold off their older equipment to your commuter line.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlas to Release Modern NJ Transit Commuter Train in N Scale

ATLAS MASTER® N ALP-45DP LOCOMOTIVE

The ALP-45DP loco and multi-level commuter cars were a big hit in HO so it’s no surprise that Atlas officially announced (on February 7th) that it will release an n-scale version of this commuter train set under its Master product line.

(I stopped by the Atlas booth at the Amherst Train Show in late January, and got the chance to see teaser models (unpainted versions) of this loco along with the multi-level commuter and cab cars it pulls. Please see our blog, N Scale Manufacturer Highlights: 2018 Amherst Train Show.)

The pre-order due date is Wednesday, March 14th with an estimated release date of 3rd quarter 2018.

Silver version MSRP ($149.95); Gold version ($259.95) and 3-packs: cab and trailer ($179.95); commuter train set ($274.85).

This loco and commuter/cab cars represent completely new n-scale toolings for the New Jersey-based company. It is based on modern equipment used by NJ Transit, which shuttles 300,000 commuters to and from New Jersey to NYC every day. It’s no secret that model train enthusiasts like to model what they see, especially modern equipment. “Folks see this as a regular site here in New Jersey,” said Eric Mosher, Vice President of Marketing, Atlas Model Railroad Co. “This was a big hit for us in HO so it made sense to produce an n-scale model,” added Mosher.

The commuter train set will come with the dual mode ALP-45DP loco capable of drawing power from either overhead electrical wires or its own pair of 12-cylinder Caterpillar diesel engines. These flexible locomotives were designed to provide a one-seat commute from NJ TRANSIT’s various diesel-only lines into the electrified territory that leads to New York City’s Penn Station.

It will also feature multi-level coaches and cab cars [with and without toilets ($54.95) (you can tell which car has a toilet by the missing rear window.)] The cab cars ($69.95)(which have no power) but allow train engineers to remote control the “push-pull” operations of the train (ie this eliminates the need for the train to turn around, thus saving commute time and money).

The cars and cab will come in a variety of road numbers including several with safety slogans ($59.95), such as Hands Free and Power Steering.

Similar to other engine product announcements from Atlas over the past year, this loco will be available with and without built-in DCC-Sound functionality.

N MULTI-LEVEL TRAILER W/TOILET NJ TRANSIT

Some coach features will include: interior includes seat details and LED illumination, separately applied lift lugs, end barriers, and rubber diaphragms.

Some cab car features will include: provision for mounting a speaker, separately applied air horn, antenna, lift lugs, end barriers, and rubber diaphragms.

Both coaches and cabs will feature free-rolling metal wheels and body-mounted couplers, two features indicative of 3rd generation rolling stock. Please see our blog The Evolution of N-Scale Rolling Stock Models.

Here is a link to the Atlas website page for this announcement.

On the horizon: According to Mosher, Atlas plans on officially announcing the Canadian version of this commuter train set, the AMT (AMT is the Montreal equivalent to NJ transit, transporting commuters from the suburbs of Montreal to Montreal proper.)