Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    MYTH or FACT: "All forums are equal"
    Equal to what?
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,946 Times in 748 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as good, as informative, as knowledgeable etc etc etc.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Komata View Post
    Mystery: How the one piece of MR 'bit' that is needed to complete a project, mysteriously vanishes just before it's needed...
    And reappears somewhere you looked six times immediately after you come home from the hobby shop with a replacement one.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to westfalen For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 853 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westfalen

So very, very true; and we fall for it every time...
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Thanks
    Thanked 5,911 Times in 2,025 Posts
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A perfect example of Murphy's law in action!

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,492 Times in 4,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is a scientific fact that all life produces electrical fields.

When a single person is working or playing with their trains, this is rarely a problem. Their EMF and the equipment often sync up.

But, when the electrical fields of persons other than the owner are in the presence of the equipment the different properties of the fields will cause interference, causing unexplainable electrical problems. The effect is cumulative, the more observers, the worse the interference. Adding electronic equipment like DCC only makes the system more complicated. Making it much easier for things to go wrong.

Some people's electrical aura is so strong that it will even cause mechanical failure. (the reason a model that has worked perfectly for years will have parts fall off, when observed by a person other than the owner)
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 630 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    MYTH or FACT: "All forums are equal"
    MYTH! I participate on a number of model train forums. This is by far the friendliest, most-posted-to, most socially interactive, and, very important: has the highest number of member-posted photos! Trainboard is very friendly and I like the vibe there, but the activity tends to be a bit spotty. On my list of low-interaction forums: modeltrainforums.com modelrailroadforums.com and mrhmag.com. Also, posts at MRH are 99% H0-scale and tend to be extremely text-heavy, with NO paragraphs, and NO photos!
    Last edited by Metrolink; 12th Jan 2018 at 08:56 PM.

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,643 Times in 2,494 Posts
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Metrolink View Post
    On my list of low-interaction forums: modeltrainforums.com and mrhmag.com
    Maybe there is low interaction on modeltrainforums.com because it doesn't exist

Not sure if you mean http://modelersforum.com/index.php I guess not because there is a lot of action going on there.

As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mystery: Why do modelers, in regards to DCC systems, feel the need to push a certain brand, or push their favorite brand?
    Especially when no one is asking for opinions? Why does it matter to them what system others want to use?

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 523 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Mystery: Why do modelers, in regards to DCC systems, feel the need to push a certain brand, or push their favorite brand?
    Especially when no one is asking for opinions? Why does it matter to them what system others want to use?
    I'm not sure your statement is accurate. Often someone contemplating a DCC conversion will ask for opinions. I think many of us only have experience with the system we are using. Thus we are not pushing a particular system, but describing what we know and like about it.

And if you are not using the same system as I am then you must have a screw loose.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Maybe there is low interaction on modeltrainforums.com because it doesn't exist . . .
    Doh! I meant modelrailroadforums.com! There's a few really helpful people there, and I really learned a lot from them, but the overall activity tends to be pretty spotty.

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    I'm not sure your statement is accurate. Often someone contemplating a DCC conversion will ask for opinions. I think many of us only have experience with the system we are using. Thus we are not pushing a particular system, but describing what we know and like about it.
    Yes, yes it is accurate.
    I'm talking about a post where the OP isn't asking for opinions about DCC. In fact they haven't even made the decision to go with either DC or DCC, they are just starting to plan things out.

If someone specifically asks for opinions, then that's a whole other can of worms, no problems there.
    It just seems that if only the letters D.C.C. comes up in a post, then right away opinions start flying.

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    And if you are not using the same system as I am then you must have a screw loose.
    LOL!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,237 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Metrolink , i just read your post and now like 2 minutes later you edit out 95% of it . It seems you like to edit your posts a lot , and make the follow up replies look out of place or nonsensical , as you go back and edit the post before the replies . I was going to make a reply here , but now that wouldnt make sense . Please stop doing that

Steve

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, I apologize for that but I thought it a bit harsh (as well as wandering far off-topic), so I edited it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MYTH or FACT?

@Metrolink edits the crap out his posts making subsequent posts appear out-of-place and nonsensical.

TRUE! Guilty as charged, and I'm sorry. But that's me, and I'm not likely to change. I edit the crap out of my posts. Sometimes I disrupt the thread, and, as @aflica points out, the result is at times a bit untidy, and perhaps inconsiderate to others. But I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to writing. I often re-write to make things clearer, clean up some grammar or punctuation, or to reorganize the thread. I used to write for a living, so I edit . . . a lot. In this last example, I just felt my criticisms seemed a bit too harsh, and in the heat of the moment, seemed mean-spirited in and of themselves.

MYTH or FACT?

Nscale.net is the most awesome hobby forum on the planet!

TRUE! This place is great, and I really feel at home here and consider everyone here with whom I interact as a friend. No other hobby forum has that vibe (though, Trainboard is also quite friendly, but I only just joined that board). Not to unfairly disparage modelrailroadforums; when I first entered the hobby, I read that forum's ENTIRE scenery section, and learned a huge amount. They just don't seem to have many N-scale modelers. MRH has a completely different vibe than all the rest, and has a distinctly different flavor than pretty much every other model train forum on the internet. And even though I find certain things about the forum annoying, it has one of the highest rates of participation of ANY forum, and that's a valuable asset.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    @Metrolink , i just read your post and now like 2 minutes later you edit out 95% of it . It seems you like to edit your posts a lot , and make the follow up replies look out of place or nonsensical , as you go back and edit the post before the replies . I was going to make a reply here , but now that wouldnt make sense . Please stop doing that

Steve
    If you reply with quote, then your reply would still be valid even if the original was changed.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only push their favorite brand, but disparage all other DDC brands in the world as garbarge, unworthy and don't even work!!!! In those posts I question if it was user error for a past brand not working with that user.
    Last edited by kingmeow; 13th Jan 2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    If you reply with quote, then your reply would still be valid even if the original was changed.
    If you can catch it fast enough...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 857 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And, why do modelers insist that if you buy brand X, everything on the system must be brand X.

Many people don't realize that you can interchange not only decoders, but boosters can be interchanged as well ( you just have to know where the inputs are, which can vary between manufacturers). There sometimes are rules you have to follow about connection order ( opto isolated boosters should come after non-opto isolated ones, for example) but those are rules the manufacturers tell you about in the manuals.

I've confused more than one person by connecting a Lenz booster to a Digitrax command station or vice versa. ( I also used a CVP one for a while, but I sold that.)

Paul

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post: