Thanks
    Thanked 2,547 Times in 883 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donzi View Post
    Mystery…

Why do any modelers give a damn about what others perceive about their layouts and the way, where, or how they choose to model?

Maybe it’s for acceptance, trying to “fit in” or possibly reassurance that some else approves of their work or modeling, that they are doing the hobby the right way (in someone else’s eyes)…. Maybe the need to feel like they fit into a forum, club, or other clique.

I dunno, nor do I care.

News flash… I’m in this hobby for myself, I don’t give a damn what anybody thinks.

See if someone asks for opinions before offering one.
    Class not Crass.

Model railroaders are a very stereotyped lot, the stigma will continue, we all need to support each other rather than to divide ourselves over inane details.

IMHO
    It's a natural human insecurity that exists well outside the model railroading world. We see that insecurity in our families, our workplaces, our governments.

As you build your layouts, no matter how experienced or inexperienced you are in the hobby, always remember: Your layout will always be better than someone else's. And also remember, someone else's layout will always be better than yours.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point exactly.
    Glad you got it.
    Yes, the rivet counters are trying to impress somebody other than themselves.
    (Look what I know that you don’t)
    The rest of us... not so much.
    If I was to feel pressured (especially peer pressured) in any of my hobby’s, I'd quit them.
    My hobbies are pressure free, pressure from any front is not fun to me, that’s more like work.

I have hobbies to escape pressure.

But to each their own.
    Model trains are toys…give me a break.
    If you want to get your head up a toy train tailpipe… knock yourself out.
    That is the mystery to me.
    Maybe that makes you a serious modeler?
    I find humor (and mystery) in that.

“Better modeling through peer pressure.”
    Right

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My point exactly.
    Glad you got it.
    Yes, the rivet counters are trying to impress somebody other than themselves.
    (Look what I know that you don’t)
    The rest of us... not so much.
    If I was to feel pressured (especially peer pressured) in any of my hobby’s, I'd quit them.
    My hobbies are pressure free, pressure from any front is not fun to me, that’s more like work.

I have hobbies to escape pressure.

But to each their own.
    Model trains are toys…give me a break.
    If you want to get your head up a toy train tailpipe… knock yourself out.
    That is the mystery to me.
    Maybe that makes you a serious modeler?

I find humor (and mystery) in that.
    Again with the derogatory comments about Rivet Counting. Don’t get it? Fine. Enjoy the hobby how you want and we will enjoy it how we do. We don’t do it to be better than someone else, we do it to be better. Better our skills, better our talents. If you don’t want to improve, that’s fine, we’re not going to insult you. You can feel free to be a toy train collector. Don’t patronize us for having the desire to grow as craftspeople and modelers.

You reinforced our earlier comments. Rule 1 only applies to a certain percentage of modelers. Rivet Counters apparently shouldn’t enjoy the hobby the way we see fit. I love the hypocrisy.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well said Karl , very well said . I can only add to Karl's reply is on the insult level @donzi is showing . Its just plain disrespectful to how others want to model . If you dont like that some want to better their models or layout , this is the wrong forum for you and those "opinions" . There is a place for that im sure , just not here . Lighten up a bit

Steve

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

derogatory comments
    You can feel free to be a toy train collector.
    I love the hypocrisy.
    It's all good girlfriend.
    I see you picked up a groupie along the way, that makes you a better modeler.

I'm done with this thread, feel free to have the last word.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm done with this thread, feel free to have the last word.
    Buh Bye ....... from a groupie

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,911 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not Karl or Steve's girlfriend. But if I was half the modeler that either one of them are, I might be obliged to give them a hug to show my appreciation of the things I've learned from them on this forum. Definitely not a kiss, but maybe a hug.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,778 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wow, talk about insecurities???

I too am very thankful we have members who are willing to post not only what they do, but how they do it as well.
    Peer pressure? I don't remember anyone calling you out and forcing you to improve yourself?
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,482 Times in 2,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow , somehow I knew right from the start that this thread was going to derail at sometime. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

I am by no means a Rivet Counter , but I do want to model the best I can with the time and skills I have, and I want to improve those skills.

I also hope that by "showing off" my skills I can help another with their skills and have more fun in the hobby , just like I learn from all here who are willing to take the time to " show off " theirs. I f it weren't for all the people " showing off " here this forum would have had a short life.

Now I hope that someone shuts down this thread.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,746 Times in 5,333 Posts
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh*

I’m seeing in this current derailment something common to many internet (and IRL) discussions that go awry... some of the lack of non-verbal communication (or some such cause) creating division where there shouldn’t be any.

I see both sides of this debate... on the one hand, there are modelers who — because they find joy in it — want to push their craft to the highest realism/quality/whatever that they can, and seek to improve themselves because they find joy in making their trees better than the ones they made yesterday. And they (may or may not) enjoy sharing their efforts with others, either to help educate others who are interested, or just for the joy of sharing something that makes them happy. These people (and I would put Karl and Steve in this bucket) are NOT* “Rivet Counters” in the derogatory sense, and I do not believe they are the sort of people who folks like donzi and others are actually complaining about. Let’s call these guys “Craftsmen”

There are other folks (like donzi, I suppose?) who do what it is they want with their modeling. Maybe they just collect, or maybe they are happy with a loop on the kitchen table, or maybe they just make trees for the fun of it and don’t worry about whether they’ve made a maple or an oak. Maybe they pull double stacks with 4-4-0s and that gives them a chuckle. These people have their own motivations, perhaps the zen of play or the same fun a pick-up basketball player gets from messing around with his buds in the driveway (as opposed to a league player or something). It’s all good. Let’s call these guys “Players” (not a good term but it’s early). There’s probably actually several different groups I’m lumping together here (collectors, toy train guys, armchair modelers, rail fans, casual modelers, kitchen table loopers, etc.)

To me, the Rivet Counters are those who are like the bad seeds of the first bunch. They may not even actually be skilled modelers. But they do oh so seem to enjoy putting down the “Players” (and even the “Craftsmen”) for missing crazy details that don’t even matter. They don’t find joy in bettering themselves, they fill the hole in themselves by belittling others. They are very, very different beasts from Craftsmen, and frankly I feel sorry for them. I suppose there are also anti-Rivet Counters who are those who fill the hole in themselves by belittling Craftsmen.

THE PROBLEM comes when you get this back-and-forth where the Players complain about the Rivet Counters, and the Craftsmen think the Players are lumping them in with the Rivet Counters (maybe they are, but they shouldn’t be). Or the Craftsmen brag (rightfully so) about the work they’ve done, and the Players mistakenly think the Craftsmen are saying the same things the Rivet Counters do. And so feelings get hurt WHEN THEY SHOULDN’T BE.

I’ve never met someone I’d put in the Craftsman camp who would ever be derogatory toward a Player. Indeed they tend to be very encouraging, ready to lend a hand when the Player does want to add some detail, but also ready to share in the Player’s joy of doing their thing. I’ve also never met a Player who wouldn’t give props to a Craftsman where due while still being quite happy doing his thing, whatever that is.

Some people find joy in the challenge of pushing themselves. Same thing as those who get excited about a new marathon PR or deadlift weight, or whatever. Others find joy in relaxing and “just having fun”, not worrying about those details, and not being concerned with pushing themselves, who are OK with accepting a certain level of “mediocrity” (note the quotes!) in their work, because they value the relaxation over the pressure/stress that comes with upping the game. None of this is an issue until/unless one camp fails to appreciate the value of the other camp’s approach. We’re all different people, with different motivations, and IT’S ALL GOOD. I really think we (mostly) all understand this, it’s just that the internet is a less-than-ideal communications medium and it’s easy to hear (and say) things wrong and give/take offense inadvertently when none is intended.

Now, let’s all hug (or fist bump or whatever) it out and get back to having a laugh about myths and mysteries, shall we?

*I suppose part of the problem is when Craftsmen self-appropriate the term “Rivet Counter” in the same way that Appalachian folks self-appropriate “Hillbilly” or Southerners “Redneck”, or some black folk the “N” word. This only contributes to the confusion.
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,808 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to lock this thread, but I am tempted to clean out the non-relevant posts.... but as TD said, let's just get back to having fun shall we?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 508 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done - VERY WELL done. If nothing else, you've proved one thing is NOT a myth ... that,

How I model is BETTER than how you model

Congradulations!!!!

Well here are two more myths (NOW) that have also been proven to be true ...

People in forums are incapable of mature discussions without some of them turning that discussion into an argument.

People are entitled to their own opinions but only if they are the same as mine.

Once again - congradulations for turning something that was supposed to be FUN into a cesspool of degradation.

THE OP.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,778 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    I’ve never met someone I’d put in the Craftsman camp who would ever be derogatory toward a Player. Indeed they tend to be very encouraging, ready to lend a hand when the Player does want to add some detail, but also ready to share in the Player’s joy of doing their thing. I’ve also never met a Player who wouldn’t give props to a Craftsman where due while still being quite happy doing his thing, whatever that is.
    I find this MORE often than not.
    Kudos on the new words TD. I was thinking of this last night but couldn't find the words I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    They may not even actually be skilled modelers. But they do oh so seem to enjoy putting down the “Players” (and even the “Craftsmen”) for missing crazy details that don’t even matter. They.... fill the hole in themselves by belittling others. They are very, very different beasts from Craftsmen......
    I do not enjoy a true Rivet Counter either. I find them exactly as you stated, except you missed the word "Annoying"
    Most are harmless, but a few will proudly take a stand and correct ANYBODY. But in the end, it's the way they enjoy their hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    I don't want to lock this thread, but I am tempted to clean out the non-relevant posts.... but as TD said, let's just get back to having fun shall we?

NO, don't lock it and don't clear it out.
    Not that anyone needs a trophy post, but it serves the same reason as not removing history.

If we remove the bad stuff from the history books, then we are bound to repeat ourselves.

Also then the things that others have said, such at TD will make no sense while it stands alone.
    If you are going to remove one post, then you better remove the entire thread.
    Last edited by Allen H.; 27th Feb 2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,386 Times in 831 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In light of the above:

Mystery:
    How it is possible for a reasonable discussion about a 'fun' topic to become suddenly (note the word) inflamed for no good purpose.

Myth: That railway modelers are peaceloving cardigan-wearing individuals (some will know) who just want to be left alone to 'get on' and 'play trains'.

Myth: ALL Model Railroaders are equal....

And with that clarified, to return (again) to the original topic...

-------------------------------

Myth: That EVERYONE can print their own home decals...

Myth: That parents at model railway exhibitions have their toddlers under control... (Trust me, they don't)

Myth: That a brand-new, straight out of the box, NEVER BEEN USED-BEFORE item of rolling stock will run PERFECTLY first time!! ('Cos after all, the manufacturer tells us it will!)

Myth: That 'Mum's'('Mom's') are not in any way interested in model trains.... (Believe me, they are; and ask LOTS of questions )

Myth: That the 'general public' will never attend model train shows...

Myth: That having a 'Toy train under the Christmas Tree' is something that ALL RR modellers do. (Sorry folks, we don't, it's an 'American' thing)

Mystery: How the 'Massive production run' of locomotive type 'X' which should 'put one in every household', suddenly evaporates as 'pre-orders' take absolutely every single one that was to be produced. (There must be some massive 'pre-order' purchases being made).

Mystery: How 'Quality Control' is so variable within even a single manufacturer (No names... )

Mystery: That some items of MR rolling stock are deemed to be 'Classics'. Who decides?
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Komata For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Komata View Post
    Myth: That 'Mum's'('Mom's') are not in any way interested in model trains.... (Believe me, they are; and ask LOTS of questions )
    Absolutely, especially when it concerns the bank account
    Cheers Tony

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,113 Times in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Komata View Post
    Myth: That having a 'Toy train under the Christmas Tree' is something that ALL RR modellers do. (Sorry folks, we don't, it's an 'American' thing)
    Well, some of us do - in Denmark we do it this way.

Oh, you said toy train. Sorry !!

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your way of doing it - much less to put away
    Cheers Tony

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post: