Thread: Here Today, Gone Today? Pre-order-mania Strikes Again!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Here Today, Gone Today? Pre-order-mania Strikes Again!

In order to keep the TroveStar N Scale Model Trains Database up to date as possible with new releases, the TroveStar team religiously checks vendor websites to see when products (that may have been announced more than six months ago) are available to the public. Well, today we checked the Model Train Stuff website and it looks like this shop and others across the country have received a huge shipment on a variety of products from Atlas.

Not surprisingly, given the current state of the world of model train manufacturing (where pre-ordering is becoming more the norm if you ever want to know for sure that you will get your hands on that coveted box car you wanted to add to your collection), many of those products are already sold out or low on inventory.

So, if you’re interested in, say, the Atlas Master Line N Shay Stream Loco, it would be prudent to act now and visit your local hobby shop or online dealer. Some of these road names are already sold out and others are very low in stock.

If you like n-scale vehicles, another smaller shipment recently arrived from Oxford Diecast from England. And again, some of these are already sold out (Bedford CMP Truck, Southdown Matador Wrecker) and others very low in stock.

We are always excited to know when new releases are available and try to add them to the TroveStar database as soon as they come out. We are a bit dismayed that the old-fashioned way of buying items (actually getting to see them up close at hobby shops) has gone by the wayside and been replaced by pre-order-mania.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gdmichaels For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting a taste of this right now, I was essentially forced to preorder a couple of NSE sw1500's, with only 40 of each roadnumber made I can't wait until they ship
    Did someone say whitcomb?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 842 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the world of thin margins and economics. These suppliers don't have the luxury of holding onto large amounts of inventory any longer.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 815 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a sign of times
    "It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If that’s what it takes for manufacturers to survive in a niche market, I’m cool with that. I have preorders in right now for ScaleTrains and Intermountain products. I don’t want to miss the bus when the things I want arrive.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 522 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, me too, for a super tricked out ICE 1 with sound and DCC controlled lights in all cars, and a Kato ICE 4, the new order for DB-AG.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those new Atlas cabooses look good, hopefully they've shipped enough of the CPR script ones to stock the stores here in Canada! As for preordering, I'm hoping to avoid that, happily I was able to get the last two Kato steam engines without issue.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quit the pre order game it was costing me to much money. My view is if I am meant to have it will be available when I can buy it. I had stuff being charged to my card a year and half after I placed the order and couldn't remember what I bought until is showed up. My last preoder was a year ago and it should come in around Feb or March of this year if its produced. I understand the mind set of these companies but sometimes I don't understand how the hobby is going to survive this type of sales plan. At some point there will be nothing I need or want to buy, which is pretty darn close. Maybe if there were more modern era decor. Then again I just saw one vehicle go for $68 dollars on mts, thats the price of some dc engines! I truly hope the hobby survives but I will make do with that I have.

Emmanuel Dominguez

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emmdom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pre-order stuff now and then. Like the Paducah GP10's. Gotta have one. Probably won't be re-run. I didn't pre-order some Trainworx gondolas, now they're unobtanium. Those aren't going to be re-run in the road I wanted.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 434 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emmdom View Post
    I understand the mind set of these companies but sometimes I don't understand how the hobby is going to survive this type of sales plan.
    I am not sure it will go away, but it is more likely to undergo a serious shift towards becoming a "luxury"and price out 97% of the "Joe Average" modelers and be more geared for collectors.

But in all seriousness, look at it as a case study with two end points for the initial purchaser. $64 for a dinky little toy truck that will in all likelihood, NEVER touch a layout and will either be resold around two to three times the original price to another desperate collector, or just sit on a shelf collecting dust.

The maker of these kinds of model is making his money not thinking of what is the best for the greater good of the hobby. Basically, he has started the momentum limiting it to who can "play".

It is a shame that model trains are being priced out the way they are.

...(puts away his soap box as he left his two cents)...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess in a worst case scenario we can always go back to doing what people did a hundred years ago, that is, build pretty much everything yourself. Things like 3D printers and laser cutters should help make the results a little less crude than they were 100 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind preordering.......as long as I have faith that the company will deliver. Intermountain is notorious for announcing stuff and never producing it. I currently have 3 preorders.........2 are Intermountain. One is for the Milwaukee Road Superdomes, which I will probably down-size, since Kato beat them to the punch. I might leave the UP scheme one on order, but at this rate Kato will probably produce a full train in that scheme before the Intermountain cars show up. The other item(s) is a full train of Milwaukee Hiawatha cars in the 1948 paint scheme . Both have been in place since 2015. They just keep pushing them back. They are the worst, but other companies aren't perfect either.........I just got an Atlas shay that had been on pre-order for 4 years........and when it arrived it was DOA, so now I'm waiting to hear what to do about that.....send it to the dealer or to Atlas.

I also won't preorder anything that requires up front payment. Even though when I preorder I put the money to cover it in my "piggy bank", having it tied up in my hands, and having it gone are 2 different things.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 902 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never pre-ordered anything. Yet, all of the new releases in N scale that have come out in the past 11 years (that I have been an N-scaler and re-started my activity in the hobby) that I have wanted, I was able to buy eventually.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It comes down to a few factors.

The biggest being who is making it. Obviously if it is a Trainworx model you might want to pre-order. Limited small runs are just what they do.

Atlas, Kato... Probably no need to pre order... I am at the point now where I do not want to pay inflated ebay prices for some stuff that is very time specific to what I am modeling, so I caved in and started to pre order.

Just a little more thoughts, I know some people do not care for prices of trainworx etc and I am one of them yet I buy a lot of there products and like them.... I just cringe a little when i click "buy. One thing I cant say is the quality and detail of there products are lacking. We are lucky that depending on what you want in the hobby you can get different levels of product. Bachmann is making nice stuff at a lower price, Atlas Trainman line is nice in my mind.. I think we forget even though its a hobby its like everything else in life(tons of options).

When I ride my bike I see people on $200 walmart bikes having fun, I see people on $5000 carbon really nice bikes being frustrated. All hobbys we get into offer various levels of quality, and that is not a direct connection to enjoyment. Sometimes we just need to step back and remember its whats best for us "I" and just focus on that. Too often I think its easy for us to post what we know as the best for "I" in a forum, and thats probably not whats best for the guy 3000 miles away working on his hobby. Pre-ordering is pre-ordering and it means something different for every single on of us, good or bad its going to vary a lot from modeler to modeler. I will close with this, Actions speak louder then words so for the manufacturers sales are driving 90% of what they do.

So I hope everybody has a good day, life is short lets try to enjoy it as much as we can!
    Last edited by Bessemer Bob; 20th Jan 2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Be positive, Be polite, have fun with the hobby!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only ever pre-ordered one thing, and that was because they took the money upfront ( Rapido Trains "Puddington Valley" gondolas) but that was a special situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,642 Times in 2,493 Posts
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pre-order all the time , it keeps manufacturers trying new things and I get a better price. I do keep track of what I order though and most of the time I pre-pay also as to not be surprised, this does take some trust in the vendor of course.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also pre-order a lot of items, this helps give the manufacture an idea on how many to produce. The company I pre-order from takes no money in advance and I usually get a lower price.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,833 Times in 2,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had to pre-order most of my japanese made trams, those guys are all about the pre-orders and very limited releases. It's sort of fun, but not when the production cycle takes a year and you realize it's not exactly what you need anymore

24. The Following User Says Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets not forget the only constant is change.

30yrs ago you got almost everything through your local hobby shop, or mail order from the pages of model railroader etc...

Wonder what the hobby will look like 30yrs from now!
    Be positive, Be polite, have fun with the hobby!