Thread: BLI M1A Questiom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question BLI M1A Questiom

I purchased my BLI M1A in May 2016 and it has run flawlessly until recently. I installed a gate crossing on the main and wanted the crossing warning on the loco to sound its approach. I wrote a simple script in JMRI
    that is activated by the locos block occupancy that works very well. Since I started running it in this manner just after the warning whistle, the loco occasionally comes to a complete stop for a second or two then continues on its way. This doesn't happen every time but enough to be annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be from overheating like the tsunami's do? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    HAROLDN212

Thanks
    Thanked 5,754 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I may be out in left field with this question, but do you by chance have the loco address callled up on more than one throttle?
    If so.... is one of the throttles set to zero?
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get rid of the JMRI script and see.if it still does that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 683 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a couple of the BLI diesels and I find them to be very unforgiving with any track that might be dirty. They act just like you describe and as soon as the bad contact is addressed they work fine again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all for the comments. I ran the loco with all JMRI turned off and found the problem continued. The problem mostly occurred on my 2 double crossovers. I carefully cleaned them and ran another loco over the area very slow without a problem.
    I cleaned the wheels on the M1A and treated the tender wheels and pickup bar with Neolube. The problem continues and has gotten so it only moves slightly in reverse before stopping.
    Since the warrentee has expired, I guess I'll pull the tender shell and look for any bad connections.
    HAROLDN212

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After removal of the tender shell, I discovered two wires on the left side wheel pickup bars separated at the solder joint.
    HAROLDN212

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Papahnash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Papahnash View Post
    After removal of the tender shell, I discovered two wires on the left side wheel pickup bars separated at the solder joint.
    sounds like those of us with BLI M1s should open the tenders to see if there are any loose-ish wires while still under warranty.
    Thank you,
    John Zerbe

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is fine and runs like a dream!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I decide to pick one of these up, I'll definitely keep an eye on those wires.

Also, since there seems to be several M1 owners in this thread, how do they sound compared to the Bachmann K4s? Sounds always seem terrible in online videos, which makes it hard to tell if they're similar enough to not break the suspension of disbelief if they're running at the same time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine sounds great! The thing that I am having a challenge on is smooth starting speed. Even in speed step 1 it jerks to speed step 1. I have tried messing with the CVS but cannot get it to stop jeering from stop to speed step 1.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have both the BLI M1-b and a bachmann k4. Frankly, the m1 has better sound. I did have to adjust the overall volume way down on the BLI M1. it was actually too loud! The M1 gives you more control over the various sounds than the sound value in the K4. as far as slow speed control goes on my m1, a combination of playing with CVs and simply running it more has smoothed out the slow speed operation.

I had to cut the top speed of my M1 in about half in the speed table and play with acceleration and deceleration values in order to hook them together in a jmri "consist". With the volume levels set similarly, I think they sound pretty cool running together.
    Thank you,
    John Zerbe

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 300Weatherby For This Useful Post: