Thread: Weekend Update (13th Apr 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (13th Apr 2018)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 13th Apr 2018).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Servicing some C-Liners...

20180414_192618.jpg

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,829 Times in 2,526 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Servicing some C-Liners...
    :yikes:

all at once! I'd get them mixed up,

Looks like some major service though...

meanwhile I finished changing couplers on my NSNX caboose (thanks to IMM sending me a replacement chassis)
    Also installed the BX Express trucks there were going to be installed on the ATSF reefer kit that I managed to ruin....

IMG_2813.jpg

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I didn't do much, yet. I did install my new Digitrax UR90 IR teatherless panel and found it lacking any decent range. I found the receiver is mounted to far back from the opening in the front panel requiring me to be directly in front of the panel for operation. Poor design placement on the board in my opinion. I reluctantly bent the sensor forward so the dome would be exposed more. The results were quite good. So now I can get my DCC throttle commands through even though I am quite a few feet away along the fascia. If I would put a number on it I would say I went from 30 degrees to about 160 degree of effective control. Now I need to move a throttle pocket so I get the same range on the other side.

I also bought a charger for my Nimh batteries and it took about three hours to get them charged fully. So now I am enjoying the tetherless IR operation, but keeping line of site in mind. I was hoping for Duplex but that's ok. I also replaced two suspect UP3s.

So, I am still working on the skeleton to support my modular efforts, but fingers crossed to start on the home empire.
    John

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weekend I am hammering away at making some 30 pine trees.

Robert

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rwslater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, I know this may be a dumb question but you are running a power supply to your UR90? Additionally, IR reflects off surfaces so sometimes you can use walls in your train room to bounce the signal off of.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    all at once! I'd get them mixed up, Looks like some major service though...
    Yeah, it is a definite possibility. Need to be quite meticulous to put motor, trucks, etc... back in same orientation... I actually prefer doing multiples since there are some economies of scale--from getting shells off, to putting everything back together, the 3rd one is easier than the 1st.

I am a little disappointed at how loud my C-liners are, part of the reason I was cleaning / lubing them. They are better -- maybe just need some break-in time -- but also a bit difficult to accurately get oil on the motor shaft because of the mounting rings between motor housing and fly wheel on either side.

Wish I was better at isolating where noise comes from in these little engines.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    John, I know this may be a dumb question but you are running a power supply to your UR90? Additionally, IR reflects off surfaces so sometimes you can use walls in your train room to bounce the signal off of.
    Yes the power supply is in place, but the dome was well behind the panel opening. Bringing it forward so it protrudes a bit helped immensely. It works great now even with the garage door open and no decent reflective walls or ceiling. Thanks for the response as every tidbit helps.
    John

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,903 Times in 603 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More flower pots:

And some window boxes:

And then finished kitbashing, painting, and detailing this old kit (see if anyone recognizes the source kit?):

17. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Amazing work!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,076 Times in 2,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Ender

Wow! Wow wow wow! Wow wow wow wow WOW!!!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moose have frustrating day...

Tried to install decoder in Bachmann 2-6-2, but frame halves are magically conducting electricity between them and Moose no can stop them!

Tried to fix Bachmann NW2 whose factory DCC board appears to be ignoring the current coming from the front truck. Yeah, there's a trend here...

Successfully installed DZ126 decoders into not one, but two Model Power 2-8-2 Mikados. One was an older model with Rapidos and no headlight wiring to tender that Moose had up for sale but nooobody wanted to buy. The other was a newer MRC model with compatible couplers and wiring in tender for headlight.

Ummmm, oh, and that second MP 2-8-2 accidentally was purchased earlier this week (loooooong story!) and personally delivered from post human to Moose by Mrs Moose just in time to get decoder...

Photos to come, after Moose simultaneously tuckers out from moose stampeding moose self and recovers from all of the moose stampeding...
    Last edited by Moose2013; 16th Apr 2018 at 05:47 AM.
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Tried to install decoder in Bachmann 2-6-2, but frame halves are magically conducting electricity between them and Moose no can stop them
    Been a while since I worked on one of these, any chance you are missing a sleeve on a screw?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Been a while since I worked on one of these, any chance you are missing a sleeve on a screw?
    Both have their plastic sleeves that also function as spacers to keep the frame halves apart. Moose even checked the frames with the screws removed, and it still magically conducted electricity. Moose also tried leaving the motor out, still magically conducted electricit y... Moose nearly blew an antler ... sooo frustrating!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Constructing a dam

I received the backdrop I ordered from Backdrop Warehouse a few weeks ago. Carefully unpacked it from the shipping tube, and all I can say is that I am awed. The quality is unbelievable (pictures coming soon) and it seems to be printed on a really sturdy material. It was put away while I completed the frame and masonite backing and now am hard at work on completing the foreground scenery before mounting the backdrop.

There is a large lake in the foreground of the backdrop, so I am constructing a thin rim of shoreline on the actual layout so that there will be a (hopefully) seamless transition from foreground to backdrop. The water from the lake will flow underneath a railroad bridge and then cascade down a waterfall, previously constructed. I have been searching for an N scale dam to control the flow of water coming from this large lake, but with little luck. Faller has a really nice one in HO scale, but not in N. So, in need of a scratch building project, I decided to try to duplicate as much as possible the Faller version. Janbouli's motto "As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old" got sorely tested this weekend.

I ordered some Plastruct I beams for the structure around and above the gate (Fig. 1), which I built with stained wood strips. I was searching for micro-miniature gears in N scale, but wound up using HO scale brake wheels from Tichy as well as some HO scale under frame brake components, and scratch built the rest. I carefully carved the outlines of the retaining walls in the Scultamold river base (Fig. 2), then used pieces left over from a few Woodland Scenics culverts and retaining walls (Fig. 3), sanded much thinner and stained with diluted India ink (Fig. 4). Then carefully (thanks to Optivisor) constructed the frame and gears and installed these over the retaining walls, drilled a hole in the center of each gear, and inserted a metal rod, finally carefully attaching a "chain" from rod to the top front edge of the gate (Fig. 5). I used at low resolution test photo of a small portion of the backdrop to work with, so that I didn't have to worry about damaging the real thing. Then I completed the scenery for the area around the dam (Fig. 6). The transition between the lake on the backdrop and the foreground looks pretty good, even before the water is poured. I still need to add some static grass, some more rocks and fallen branches, and then carefully pour the Realistic water, however, the logging crew couldn't wait for all this to be done, so they took their shay for a test run over the bridge (Figs. 7 and 8).
    Attached Images Attached Images

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 337 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't get much accomplished this weekend.

I did rebuild the lower head light on my E-9's:

And, my Train Masters are ready for service:

Hope Y'all had a great weekend,
    Wolf

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SP-Wolf For This Useful Post: