Thanks
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 858 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhp2000 View Post
    my turns for the
    outer loop will be thee 11 turns, then 7.5 straight, then three more 11" turns.
    So please tell me if I'm reading this correctly - you have 90 degrees worth of 11" radius track, then a 7.5" straight, then 90 more degrees of 11" radius? And all that together is the 180 degree turn that's on each end?

If so, consider just going with a larger radius (you could go up to 15" and stay right at the same overall size) without the straight section in the middle. The 11" radius track will work, but where possible a larger radius will operate a little smoother, be a little less prone to some problems, and look a little better.

The primary purpose of this layout is for Christmas
    memory building. He's still quite young now but even
    if I can get his attention for 5 minutes I'd be thrilled.
    My son is still a toddler, but he "helps" me rail the cars on an oval of track we set up on the floor (yes, N scale, and he likes sending them down the little re-railing ramp). On "my" layout he also climbs up on a stool and presses buttons on the throttle to turn on the lights, start the train moving, blow the horn and ring the bell. He's the reason I started getting sound decoders, though I have to say I like them too. He also likes to put one of my more expendable plastic cars on the track in front of the train Right now it all requires close supervision, but we're having fun. Best of luck with this project with your grandson.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    So please tell me if I'm reading this correctly - you have 90 degrees worth of 11" radius track, then a 7.5" straight, then 90 more degrees of 11" radius? And all that together is the 180 degree turn that's on each end?

If so, consider just going with a larger radius (you could go up to 15" and stay right at the same overall size) without the straight section in the middle. The 11" radius track will work, but where possible a larger radius will operate a little smoother, be a little less prone to some problems, and look a little better.

My son is still a toddler, but he "helps" me rail the cars on an oval of track we set up on the floor (yes, N scale, and he likes sending them down the little re-railing ramp). On "my" layout he also climbs up on a stool and presses buttons on the throttle to turn on the lights, start the train moving, blow the horn and ring the bell. He's the reason I started getting sound decoders, though I have to say I like them too. He also likes to put one of my more expendable plastic cars on the track in front of the train Right now it all requires close supervision, but we're having fun. Best of luck with this project with your grandson.

OTFan-

Yes, you're right about that. Thanks for pointing that out.
    When I was messing with design for outer loop this free software showed flex track at 25 inches
    and in haste didn't consider another flex piece could be straightened. (a duh) But, was in a hurry. I'll go back to it.
    THANKS for pointing that out. '-)

NOW, I will have 15 radius that may allow a little more than 60' passenger cars but, maybe not if they would hang too much.

Yes, my grandson will soon be a toddler. Pre-Planning all aspects now, then will start buying, building, landscaping etc., etc.,
    for Christmas 2019 due date. I have a LOT to learn/re-learn and only want to do this master layout build ONCE. (Ho Ho Ho)

I'm going to have a woodworker build me the base and top enclosure
    with fasteners of some form. Once done for the year, it's closed, sealed and stored. The design of that
    alone will take some time to figure for the best technique.

I want the entire layout to be solid, good looking, durable, (toddler bullet proof in some ways
    functioning, and EASY to set up and subsequently store away!
    Storage space is at a premium so yes, I have LOTS to consider and work out.

I THANK ONE AND ALL for your experienced comments, suggestions
    and advice provided. '-)

Bob

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 635 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOW, I will have 15 radius that may allow a little more than 60' passenger cars but, maybe not if they would hang too much.
    I would stay with the 60' cars, even with 15" radii. I think they will look much better than anything longer and will run better as well.

I have a 6 car set of Micro Trains Pullman 78' cars that they say will run fine on 11" radius. Mine wouldn't even navigate the curve at 11". I now have them on a 15" radii and while they negotiate the curve better, they still don't look all that comfortable. Fortunately, I will have no less than 17" radii on my actual layout.

Bottom line, longer than 60' cars will run on 15" radii curves, depending on the manufacturer, but 60' cars will look much better and will perform much smoother I think.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    I would stay with the 60' cars, even with 15" radii. I think they will look much better than anything longer and will run better as well.

I have a 6 car set of Micro Trains Pullman 78' cars that they say will run fine on 11" radius. Mine wouldn't even navigate the curve at 11". I now have them on a 15" radii and while they negotiate the curve better, they still don't look all that comfortable. Fortunately, I will have no less than 17" radii on my actual layout.

Bottom line, longer than 60' cars will run on 15" radii curves, depending on the manufacturer, but 60' cars will look much better and will perform much smoother I think.

AGREED and especially now. I went back to one of the plans with which I'm experimenting and now see why I DIDN'T just do a flex 15 radius.
    In that plan I was forced to do 11, 11, 11, 7.5 straight etc. to navigate around an inner circle/mountain. If I go that route I'll definitely stay at 60'
    but if that changes to a 15 loop, I will abide by your advice. Well, back to the drawing board. '-) Thanks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bhp2000 For This Useful Post: