Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: True-Scale Couplers - assembled?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default True-Scale Couplers - assembled?

    It seems that they only come un-assembled.

    I want to put them on all of my cars but they look to small for me.

    Can you buy them assembled or does some hobby store assemble them for you?


    Ciao!

    Brian S

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,677
    Thanks
    1,108
    Thanked 3,443 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    These assemble easier than any other coupler be ever worked with. Give it a try.
    Karl

    CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wrong side of the tracks
    Posts
    1,473
    Thanks
    4,758
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 751 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    These assemble easier than any other coupler be ever worked with. Give it a try.
    @jpwisc, you may have answered this before, but what's the "degree of difficulty" when it comes to coupling and uncoupling with TruScales.

    I'm thinking of replacing all my McHenry couplers on the rolling stock with TruScales. Already planning on using them for locomotives.

    Thanks.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,677
    Thanks
    1,108
    Thanked 3,443 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    @jpwisc, you may have answered this before, but what's the "degree of difficulty" when it comes to coupling and uncoupling with TruScales.

    I'm thinking of replacing all my McHenry couplers on the rolling stock with TruScales. Already planning on using them for locomotives.

    Thanks.
    Out of the Box, these couple slightly harder than MT couplers. It takes a little bump. I haven’t broken any in yet, so I don’t know if they will loosen up. Uncoupling is tougher, these hold insanely well. It takes a sharp stick to do it, it is easier to pick a car end up. I did my tests when the couplers first came out and I was hooked. I’m stocking up, locos convert easily, it’s my BLMA PD hoppers I have to figure out. I’ll convert the layout all at once as the TS couplers don’t work with any other types of couplers (even 905s). I’m hoping someone comes out with a compatible couple that works even better. These look so much better than the MT 1015s.
    Karl

    CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Columbus,OH, USA
    Posts
    3,041
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 799 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    @jpwisc, you may have answered this before, but what's the "degree of difficulty" when it comes to coupling and uncoupling with TruScales.
    I don’t find them any more difficult to couple or uncouple than regular MTL couplers. I only have these installed on passenger train equipment currently.

    The biggest issue I have with them is that the only box style available for them is a 1015 style box, and there are some pieces of equipment I can’t use that with ( I wanted to change a trainworx 85’ tofc flat, but the box ends up too low. The noses on Kato E8A units are also a problem... )

    Paul
    Last edited by pbender; 5th May 2018 at 03:52 PM.
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    667
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 695 Times in 273 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    I’m hoping someone comes out with a compatible couple that works even better.
    The intellectual property for such a thing already exists. Before they closed up shop, the outfit called NZT Products developed and trademarked something called the Protomate coupler. It was to-scale, slinky-free, set-resistant, magnetically-operable, and compatible with existing knuckle couplers. From what I understand, there may have been some difficulty in getting the metal centering spring, a key element to getting some if its operating features, to be manufactured or assembled economically.

    I would imagine the IP rights could be acquired, revised, and successfully brought to market.

    You can read the IP documents for the Protomate design online, actually.
    JERSEY CENTRAL LINES -- Road of the Friendly Trains

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rwerner For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    894
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 310 Times in 173 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    NZT is just on a break, DKS the owner has been active over on therailwire lately

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ike the BN Freak For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I want to use the truescale badly but I've heard they don't hold together well in a curve.

    I'll be make a small shelf switching layout in N and will need one tighter curve 11" ish to go from one side of the L to the other.

    I'm looking for a youtube demo of this now..


    Ciao!

    Brian S

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    667
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 695 Times in 273 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ike the BN Freak View Post
    NZT is just on a break, DKS the owner has been active over on therailwire lately
    I was unaware. I suppose that makes some sense, considering the domain name for NZT website is still active after all this time. After all, why pay to keep the domain name active for years if you have no intention of returning?
    JERSEY CENTRAL LINES -- Road of the Friendly Trains

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,804
    Thanks
    1,030
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 870 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rwerner View Post
    The intellectual property for such a thing already exists. Before they closed up shop, the outfit called NZT Products developed and trademarked something called the Protomate coupler. It was to-scale, slinky-free, set-resistant, magnetically-operable, and compatible with existing knuckle couplers. From what I understand, there may have been some difficulty in getting the metal centering spring, a key element to getting some if its operating features, to be manufactured or assembled economically.

    I would imagine the IP rights could be acquired, revised, and successfully brought to market.

    You can read the IP documents for the Protomate design online, actually.
    Yeah, the incompatibility aspect of the True Scale couplers was a major turn-off for me, and it seems for most modelers. I don't think they're selling like hotcakes.

    Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

Similar Threads

  1. MTL Announcement / Preview: True-Scale coupler system!
    By DrifterNL in forum Product & Service Announcements
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 6th Jul 2017, 05:55 PM
  2. True N scale couplers coming to N scale?
    By DrifterNL in forum Rollingstock
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 6th Aug 2013, 03:05 AM
  3. The first Showcase Miniatures/Century Foundry N scale signals (assembled)
    By JoeW. in forum Product & Service Announcements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th Jun 2013, 06:57 AM
  4. N scale pigeons -- true to scale
    By FrankG in forum Product & Service Announcements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 9th Apr 2012, 12:03 AM
  5. 1:160 - A True Modeler's Scale?
    By ClassC in forum Modeling Techniques
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 1st Sep 2004, 10:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •