Thread: Help with soldering SMD's

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 445 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real quick ... sorry for not responding to the posts; however, my neighbor had a fire that spread to his neighbors place as well. I live in a VERY small town so when something like this happens to two very nice people in my street, my next door neighbors, I drop everything.

Hope to get back on this evening and reply to the posts though, but have a bit to do.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priorities first, this is only a hobby!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, well have been able to catch my breathe so thanks for all the replies and info. I have ordered one of those ISO Irons with a "fine" tip and they will be here tomorrow (Monday) according to USPS. That is good as I also received my Golden Model parts (walkways etc) that will need to be soldered together and will make a good "test bed" for the iron.

I do think I will need to get smaller diameter solder though, just to be safe. Currently using .032 solder for everything but think that perhaps .20 or .25 solder would be better for the smaller applications.
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish you and your neighbors well.

Yes, get the very small solder for SMD. If I remember correctly, we even used .015" diameter solder for that. It can be a bit of trial and error. Too large a diameter and the joint becomes flooded too easily with solder. Too small a diameter and you have to feed the solder too fast.

I found, with very small situations, erring on the side of a smaller size to be better.

And I hope you like the 7800. I always have.

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug,

Thank you for your thoughts and yep we are all medically fine. Needless to say my neighbors, who weren't home when it all started, are still upset and overwhelmed by what they have both lost, which is fairly significant. Fortunately, both homes were saved but both did suffer serious damage to the exteriors. In all three barns/storage sheds and a very large, fully equipped traditional "man cave/party room containing jute box, pool table, stereo equipment, full bar etc were lost.

Anyway, thank you also for the advice on the solder as well. The smallest I think I found was .020" so I might try that first and see how things go. If I make a mess of that size, I'll go up (or down) one size until I get it right

I am excited about the ISO-TIP and am keen to try it. There have been a few times when I have wanted to solder track work but couldn't get to it because of leads etc. The fact the ISO is battery is the biggest draw for me and I hope it (the battery) last a reasonable amount of time; although, I will place it in the "charger" between jobs. Just hope the charger is also the holder for it.
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At Telex, we made the basic 8-track tape decks Ford put into their radio/tape units in Lincolns and Thunderbirds in the late seventies to early eighties. Sometime during the course of manufacture, we had a problem with some of the motors supplied from a Japanese vendor in that they were intermitting. Since they wouldn't do it while being observed, we made some testers and about 20 decks at a time were placed in them overnight. A detection circuit for each deck lit up an LED if there was ever an intermittant condition during that time.

The circuits had a large wattage, low value resistor in them and these would burn out quite frequently and we had to go out on the line and replace them. Originally, we used our regular corded irons to solder in new resistors but it was a hassle unplugging them, carrying them out to the line, replugging them, and waiting for them to heat up again.

I was looking for cordless irons in a catalog and found the Wahl Isotips so we took a chance and ordered two of them. We never regretted it. The regular size tip had no problem heating up the larger leads of those resistors and the battery in the Isotips lasted about 5 years in heavy use. The micro tips were great for SMD and other situations calling for a very small tip. I think I even remember bringing mine home and soldering track with it, too. It's great not having a cord getting hung up or otherwise getting in the way.

And yes, the charger is also the stand (holder) and the iron can be left in it all the time. Back then, I did completely discharge the battery as recommended about once a month. I lightly clamped the tip in a vice to avoid overheating the tip during the process.

Sorry about the long-winded post.

Doug

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything I have heard about these has been on the positive side, nothing bad at all, so that is a good sign. I did receive mine, along with the Tip I ordered, and (to be honest) was a bit disappointed out of the box. It looked and felt a little flimsy and cheap but we all know that "looks can be deceptive".

Although the tip I ordered is not what I was wanting, or thought it would be, installing it was quick and easy and it does feel secure in place. I thought the tip I ordered was more like a "needle nose/conical" shape whereas what I received was almost identicle to my Hakko tip, a chisel type. I will have to contact ISO-TIP and find out what the "correct tip" is instead of relying their pictures and descriptions.

The iron did charge exactly as stated. From dead flat to a full charge in about an hour. The only real thing I noticed was, unlike other rechargeable tools such as dremmel, the iron doesn't sit tight in the charger, rather it sits loosely on top of the charging leads within the charging bay.

As I ordered the wrong tip, I haven't used it for anything as yet; however, I will give it a run tonight or tomorrow to see how it goes.

As said, looks can be deceptive and I have not heard a single bad word about these units so I am hoping, and trusting, that it does perform as advertised and as you guys have stated.
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will not go wrong with IsoTip!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 7566 tip should be a narrow, almost needle-like shape, not chisel at all..

Also, I have always removed the copper clips that hold the tips in, loosen the two screws, insert the tip all the way in and tighten the two screws. More reliable current transfer.

Doug

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gosha View Post
    The 7566 tip should be a narrow, almost needle-like shape, not chisel at all..
    That is what I thought as well, going by the picture on their website; however, this is what they sent:

As mentioned, it is almost identicle to my Hakko Tip in terms of shape and size.

This is the picture they showed for the Tip I ordered, the 7566-100:

Looks to me as though they sent the wrong tip to begin with.

I did contact them and told them what I had ordered AND what I wanted/needed. They replied with a link to, what I consider to be, the correct tip and what I believed I was initially ordering from the pictures. This tip:

Hopefully I should have that tip (X 2) by the end of this week or first thing next week.

I'll do as you suggest as well, remove the copper clips. As it is at the moment, the tip does sit firmly and securely in place ; however, if it can be made even more secure then I am all for that!

At the moment though, I am just looking forward to trying it out ...
    Last edited by wombat457; Today at 12:19 AM.
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your bottom picture is actually that of the extended micro tip which is fine but may take a little longer to heat up. The second picture is of the correct 7566 tip, available in regular and high efficiency versions. I have always just bought regular.

The top picture is of one of the tips that come with the iron, the regular wide chisel tip, good for larger connections like on the sides of rail.

The copper clips are fine, especially if you change tips a lot but I always have just liked to secure the tips with the screws.

Doug

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug,

Thanks so bottom line is ... they didn't send the entire order in the first place ... not a very good first impression of the company I'm sorry.

I was wondering why the tip they sent was NOT in a packet and just floating around in the same box as the iron. If it is the "standard it comes with iron tip" then that would explain that.

What now strikes me as a concern is I mentioned that I ordered the 7566-100 tip at the same time as the Iron, when I contacted them about the right tip, BUT they never mentioned it not being sent or even acknowledged the fact that I ordered a tip as well?

Regardless of how good the iron might be, first impressions leave me not being all that impressed with the company itself at this point. We will see what they say when I contact them again regarding the order.
    Cheers Tony