Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Create Your Personal Inventory Using TroveStar Reference Data

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to Create Your Personal Inventory Using TroveStar Reference Data

Jenna

The May 2018 NMRA (National Model Railroad Association) Magazine featured the article “A Word to the Wise: Inventory!” by Thomas Roskelly who lost his home to a fire. He penned the article to urge his fellow model train enthusiasts to not only create an inventory of their train collection (and any items they might lose in a fire) but to safely store it so it too is not destroyed by the ravages of heat and flames. (Mr. Roskelly did have an inventory of his train collection but it was stored in a fire-proof safe, which did not survive the heat of the fire; house fires can approach 2400 degrees.) To be sure, Mr. Roskelly shares some very sound advice.

And TroveStar can help folks act on this advice. TroveStar can be used to create personal inventories, which can help collectors do the following:
    1. Avoid buying duplicates. TroveStar is accessible on mobile devises like iphones. As a result, you can take a live version (via your smart phone) of your inventory to every hobby shop and train show you frequent. Before you make that impulse buy, you can quickly check to see if you already own the item that interests you.
    2. Easily and quickly furnish insurance companies with a detailed inventory of your collection. If your your collection has been destroyed because of a fire and you need a list of your melted trains to submit to your insurance company, you can log on to TroveStar and print out your former collection.
    3. Get the best possible prices from dealers for your collection. If you are thinking of selling your collection, you can print out your inventory and shop it around to the dealers. An accurate list of what you are selling (versus "Here are 2 boxes full of 150 rolling stock.") will get you the best price.
    4. Leave your affairs in order. We all go to the great train station in the sky someday. Want to leave an accurate list of your collection to your heirs? This is a simple, easy and fun way to plan for that final departure.

Here is how to use TroveStar's 'collection tracking' system to create a personal inventory (based on the various Collections on TroveStar) and to keep track of your collection.

How to create an inventory:
    1. Go to this page: http://www.trovestar.com/general/car...p?Collection=4.
    2. Enter your inventory name ('MyTrainInventory' for example) into the box that says "type name here". Please make sure to NOT include the “<” or “>” symbols.

3. Hit “Enter” Your new inventory will be created and appear in a list on the page.

4. Find your inventory in the list. Click "Make Default" which will make it "Active" (This will make it possible to in one-click add items from the database to your personal collection by using the reference data on TroveStar.)

This is by far the easiest way to add items to your inventory. There are other ways but not as simple.

By default, ONLY you can see your inventory. (There will now be a new button on every individual item page to allow you to add items to 'My Collection'. I use this feature all the time. This feature also adds a new column to all the checklist pages called 'Have,' which shows you whether you own the item already or not.)

How to populate your new inventory:
    1. Find the Collection you are interested in. (Since I'm making an inventory of my n-scale collection, I will go to the N-Scale Model Trains Database landing page located at ntrains.trovestar.com.
    2. Once I am on the n-scale database landing page, I use the search function on that page and type in the name of the item (in this case "Pods") to find the item(s) in my personal collection.

3. Here are the search results for "Pods"

I locate my specific item in the search results and go to that page.

On my Pods page, there is a button below the image of the item that says 'Add to Active Inventory.'

If you push this button, it prompts you for a price.

You may enter "$0.00" if you like. However, if you are using this for insurance purposes, you should instead take a guess as to a fair value for the item. Sometimes TroveStar will make a guess for you if it can find market information on the target item. You will see in this case historical pricing data that says: "18 of these sold for an average price of $12.26"

Here is my Inventory so far.

How to edit your inventory
    Have more than one of the item in your collection? No problemo. Under the 'Collection' menu, you will find 'Inventory Editor'. Select this and it will take you to a form that allows you to alter quantity and price of the item in question. (Soon we will also have a place to put notes about the item such as 'Missing the box' or 'Hand Weathered'.)

Want to make your inventory public so other people can see your awesome collection of model trains? Go to this page http://www.trovestar.com/general/car...p?Collection=4, find your collection, and push the "edit" link in the fourth column next to it. You will see an option "Inventory is Public". Change this to "Yes" and then push the "Submit Changes" button. Voila! Everybody can now share the awesomeness.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jenna For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,935 Times in 2,561 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oooooooooooooooooooo this could be usefull! Been using Google sheets for my "roster" and Flickr photos for pictures.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,791 Times in 5,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... you put in a unit and (if available) it finds both a manufacturer's photo AND a suggested value/price?

That is pretty cool...
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy duplicates? Uhh, no, haven't done it. Well...
    Radon Gulch & Tortilla Flats Railway - the 'Good Gas' line! - a minor division of the Santa Fe Southern Railway Co. "Dust, gas and a lot of rocky stuff...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just signed up, can't find where to enter inventory name, but I just clicked something that said something about message going to administrators for approval about something..... um..... so....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,853 Times in 2,538 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    I just signed up, can't find where to enter inventory name, but I just clicked something that said something about message going to administrators for approval about something..... um..... so....
    Keep us informed Zosi , you know the saying , if it's for free , there's got to be a catch .

Maybe Jenna can enlighten us on this.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Keep us informed Zosi , you know the saying , if it's for free , there's got to be a catch .

Maybe Jenna can enlighten us on this.
    Ok, I had to go to this page: http://www.trovestar.com/general/user/permits.php

Chose from the pull down "N-scale Model Trains"

then click the request permit button. I just got an e-mail authorizing me to do this so that didn't take long at all, so now the next step.
    @Jenna might want to update the instructions in the original post, as it seems he was assuming the readers are already setup.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I've added all my loco's, but unfortunately there does not seem to be a way to add customization notes without creating your own inventory item. I have the Atlas MP-15, was NS 2419, but I've patched it for V&A. Would be nice to add that note in my inventory without creating a new record. I guess it's not a problem if you havn't customized much. But as I search for loco's to add, I'm discovering only 2/14 havn't been heavily customized. So I'll probably go through and create new entries for them.

https://www.trovestar.com/general/cart/view.php?Cart=93

PS: finally got to the end of OP original post, coming soon: being able to add notes. YES PLEASE
    Last edited by zosimas; 22nd May 2018 at 08:33 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now if I can only update the inventory img so it isn't the same as the one in Jenna's post.... if that's possible...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Charles: Happy to hear you are making use of TroveStar's Inventory functionality.

Glad to receive your feedback and hear about your experiences using TroveStar. The only way we can improve the website interface is by hearing from users like you. So your post is much appreciated.

Can you please clarify what you mean about the "inventory img"?

Do you mean the "generic" image (a bunch of engines in a storage box) that appears under the title "Inventory of N Scale Model Trains"?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Jenna

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Do you mean the "generic" image (a bunch of engines in a storage box) that appears under the title "Inventory of N Scale Model Trains"?
    yeah, that's the one. Has a bunch of North-East RR road names.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Charles: Thank you again for all this feedback regarding the Inventory functionality on TroveStar.

George was busy coding this morning and has now made it possible for you (in edit mode) to add customization notes about your model WITHOUT needing to create an individual inventory item.

By all means, please give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

We really do appreciate all this feedback and as a token of our appreciation, would like to send you a boxcar, the TroveStar Special Run - Pan Am Railways Boxcars (we gave this away at the Winterfest convention at the Amherst Train Show this winter). It was a big hit!

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?44028-TroveStar-Special-Run-Pan-Am-Railways-Boxcar&highlight=trovestar+special+run

Please send me your mailing address (via private message) and I will be able to pop one in the mail!

Look forward to hearing back from you.
    Jenna

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Charles: I will mention this to George and get back to you. In the mean time, we are thrilled that folks (like yourself) are using this functionality on TroveStar. So far we have close to 100 n-scale Inventories listed on TroveStar! Jenna

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jenna.

Having a bit of a problem trying to create an inventory...

I use the embedded link you give at the top of the page which does take me to the Inventory Selector page. However, on my browser the Inventory screen is missing the Name entry field.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm logged in and have a profile. I'm on Windows 10 (with the latest May update) and running Microsoft Edge v42.17134.1.0.

Thank you,
    John

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious about the business model for TroveStar...

Is it simply a labor of love? Supported by advertising and/or donations? Used as a demonstrator for other unrelated commercial databasing services/products?

There's no wrong answer here, but it would be interesting/good to know how this project is funded...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are a non-profit LLC, supported by donations:
    https://www.trovestar.com/generic/blog.php?Article=175

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotian_Huntress View Post
    They are a non-profit LLC, supported by donations:
    https://www.trovestar.com/generic/blog.php?Article=175

That is very cool.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Charles: Thanks for sending me your mailing address. I can send you the Pan Am car in the next few days.

I also wanted to let you know that because you bit the bullet and tried out the Inventory functionality on TroveStar (and sent your feedback while trying your hand at it) a fellow forum member "Ryan" read your posts and also started using this TroveStar feature...so thanks to you, more folks are taking advantage of the website and like you they are also receiving a complimentary Pan Am car (as a token of our appreciation for their feedback).

So...in a word. Thanks!

Have a nice weekend.

Jenna

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello John: Sorry to hear you are having issues with this functionality. We do appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention.

Can you please register for permissions to the N scale database?

This is the link.

http://www.trovestar.com/general/user/permits.php

Please let me know how this works out.

Jenna

ps Clearly the blog is missing this information/instruction. I will update it accordingly.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jenna. I followed your instructions and made the Permit request. Now waiting for approval.

Kind regards,
    John