Thread: OK, I give up - Vallejo -game/model color (mix) equivlent for PRR Fright Car Color?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question OK, I give up - Vallejo -game/model color (mix) equivlent for PRR Fright Car Color?

I'm pretty much at the point where I need to paint some PRR freight cars. And I don't know how to use an airbrush. And the material I'm painting is incompatible with enamels. And pretty much the only paint I can use is Vallejo Game Color, or maybe Model Color. (Not Model Air.) (Primarily due to my own very limited skills - but I'm great with painting with these!) Simply put, I'm essentially unable to find anything even converting Pensy's Freight Car Color to just about any Vallejo brand, let alone something other than Model Air.

Anybody have any suggestions as to where to start for a decent matching mix?

(PS: One interesting thing about these paints is that they actually dry -flatter- than dullcoat -dullcoating them actually makes them shinier!)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,518 Times in 526 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can get close, you may be able to mix something by eye to get "close enough". Colors varied a little bit right off the line and by the time the were in the elements a few years they could be very different. Even colors from Atlas vary wildly and I'm sure other manufactures do as well. If you weather the cars, that will also change the coloring drastically.
    Daniel Dawson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mobile One For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 388 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could use the scalecoat line of paint, they sell it in an aerosol can for quick painting without an Airbrush

http://www.minutemanscalemodels.com/category-s/127.htm

My Modeled RRs

Cody Orr

Modeling PRR Lehigh Valley Erie CNJ Reading and D&H
    In NorthEast PA in 1953-1960
    Freelanced PRR Northeastern Division

Layout Planning Thread

Layout Build Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,455 Times in 3,338 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your base paint coat dries to be ultra-flat, that might not be a good thing. Decals want to be added over a glossy coat, so that their edges can blend in better. Over a flat paint, it will be rather difficult to avoid seeing the rectangular cutout of the decal, even with multiple applications of Solva-Set or similar decal solution. So, prior to adding decals, you might need to add a clear sheen of some kind.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about posting a pic of the colour you are after?

https://g1modelkits.files.wordpress....hart2011-1.jpg

https://g1modelkits.files.wordpress....hart2011-2.jpg

then everybody can have a choice see what a poll says

for me 70.982 Cavalry Brown is a good brown has the orange red tinge. http://www.hobby57.com/upload/photos/VALL70982.JPG

70.984 Flat Brown is flat but still has some red in it good for the darker shades. .https://rcmaster.gr/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/VALLEJO-MODEL-COLOR-70984-FLAT-BROWN.jpg

EDIT .BTW You can still paint with model air, if anything the thinner formula is better for the n scale details, ie no thinning needed .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What era are you trying to match? PRR varied the color of their freight cars over the years. Here's a link to Jerry Britton's website Keystone Crossings which is my goto site for any info on the PRR.

http://pennsyrr.com/index.php/general/172-paints

Of course all the paints there are either railroad colors and not a vallejo product to begin with, or discontinued.
    So where does that leave you? If you wish to stick with what you know, and it's not a bad idea, you are going to have to mix your own or settle for close enough. I've been using Vallejo on mini's for a while now and I like it. Being we are in N scale, I'll take a guess that your looking to be in 1950 or 60. I've a 50/50 shot here at being correct. So looking at Keystone Crossings and Vallejo color charts(I do not have the Vallejo colors I sugggest in my paint box sorry) my thoughts are:
    - If you are going for Freight Car Color 1960's, I like the 70.818 Cuero Rojo Red Leather and adding some red to it. I'm looking at my bottle of Floquil Special Oxide Red suggested by Keystone Crossings and it is close. By adding some red I think you'll get a good match.
    -The 70.982 Cavalry Brown is good if you are going for Freight Car Color 1950's IMHO. I've the Badger Modelflex Light Tuscan Oxide Red suggested by Keystone Crossings as well and it's close. Maybe a bit of brown to tone it down is my thought. Of course, some cars from the 50's were out and about in this color in the 60's no doubt. Sorry I can't give you specific ratios. I know these are Model Colors but I don't think anything over at Game Colors is close enough.

And I'll second the comment from WP&P on gloss coating before applying decals. I gloss coat prior to applying decals, then Microscale's products, then a dull top coat. It makes a world of difference.

Hope this helps ya,
    B