Thread: PTC

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PTC

The back end of my layout has a hidden track that courses along the edge of the benchwork, with wiring at the back of the layout snaking below it. However, this track is totally unprotected at the edge of a very long drop. Having twice heard the sickening sound of plastic locomotive shell crashing against garage floor (even with rubber cushioned floor tiles), I felt it was time to take some action. Although I should have dealt with this issue when building the original benchwork, the prototype railroads also didn't conceive of every possible source of disaster - so one could say that this was being true to prototype.

The real railroads are scrambling to install PTC to prevent train-train collisions, so I began developing PTC (Preventive Train Catcher) to guard against over-the-side train-floor collisions. After trying a few temporary solutions (cardboard strips tacked on with push pins), I arrived at the following solution which (a) doesn't obscure my view of the track, so I can see where a derailment has occurred; and (b) is easily removable. My plan was to use acrylic strips, cut about 4 inches wide, and attached over bolts and held in place with small knobs to make removal simple. At my local hardware store, which stocks a huge assortment of all types of knobs, screws, brackets, etc, and thanks to two very helpful employees, I found small female threaded plastic knobs which fit onto 10-32 threaded machine screws, and plastic spacers to keep the acrylic mounted about 1/2" away from the wiring. I installed three separate panels which totally protect that hidden track from future disasters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 542 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice -- I had similar issues on my layout and found that mounting a piece of 5/8" (might be 3/4") pine that was beveled 45 degrees around outer edge of the layout worked well and did not block my view. In videos you often cannot even see the 'boarder board' is there since we usually observe our layout from slightly elevated position. It serves dual purpose of making layout 5/8" wider and providing around a 5/8" lip that trains would have to jump over to get to the floor.

You can see it pretty well in this short video I made for a different purpose...

EDIT: Can also see in these pictures (nothing fancy -- just wanted to show its possible to make a small wall / edge right along track and it does not interfere with your view of trains too much but still keeps them on the track):
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/APZnpzHDGCS4Kekw9
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/D1xfMe5xNfj2voe56
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nf51CsqyS9YXGTkr6
    Last edited by Mac; 10th Jun 2018 at 03:55 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 873 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    The real railroads are scrambling to install PTC to prevent train-train collisions
    Not mine -- we're done. Been leading all the other Class 1s in implementation.

Sorry, @danb, just wanted to clarify.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac: I can’t get that video to show up in YouTube. Can you re-post the loco in. Tx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 542 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac: I can’t get that video to show up in YouTube. Can you re-post the loco in. Tx
    Sorry about that -- did not want to sideline your thread (i.e., with only semi-related embedded video) so just wanted to show another option in case it works for you or others in some spots. Anyway, added a couple of links to pics as well... Really nothing fancy (and could use some sanding).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see the video now. Nice solution. How has everyone else dealt with the train vs. floor issue?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 457 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work, Dan! I like the stand-offs holding the acrylic out from the back. For myself, after one horrendous accident which sent my Kato Thalys TGV to the concrete, I also installed a safety net. since this is my staging area, I could not glass as much as you, so I only used 2" strips of Plexiglas to create a safety barrier. The strips are permanently screwed to the fascia in back:

This gives both protection and access. And, by the way, after over a year trying to get parts, the Thalys is fine. Still runs as smoothly as ever at 320 kph scale speed.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 873 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see the video now. Nice solution. How has everyone else dealt with the train vs. floor issue?
    Hardboard strips in the past, but going acrylic like you have shown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 457 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said before, I like the stand-offs. I think that my 2" strips could be reduced to 1", mounted with spacers, and have more than adequate protection with no blocking of the view or interfering with photography. I may even move mine lower using those spacers. Hmmmm. I'm going to go look at them right now.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making them removable from the front gives the added benefit of being able to work on the track, if needed, or do close-up photography.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 884 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my last HO layout, one night I had a train parked at the far edge of the layout, where the tracks were less than an inch from the edge. We had a big 6.7 earthquake (the 1994 Northridge Earthquake in Los Angeles) and my entire intermodal train came crashing to the floor.

Learning my lesson, when I designed my current N scale layout, I made measures to guarantee such things do not happen again. So I made sure there's a 1 1/2" minimum buffer from the edge of the layout to the nearest track, and at the far side of the layout (there is no backdrop installed yet, but there is a narrow space between the layout and the wall for access), I made the scenery surrounding the track to represent a "cut" so the foam scenery tapers out away from the track. That way, the scenery will "catch" any train during a derailment or earthquake, to prevent trains from making a 640-scale-foot descent onto the floor. So far, after 11 years of running my layout, nothing has dropped off the edge.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, that is advanced planning! - based on prior experience, of course! I actually did mostly the same for the front part of my layout - it was the hidden tracks that I missed.