Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: when to replace wheels?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pugetopolis, WA
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks
    5,373
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 873 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tripoli, @zosimas. In Libya, on the Mediterranean Sea. Famous in a song.

    Why would we need an Arabic city to polish wheel treads anyway?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    southeast michigan
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    185
    Thanked 576 Times in 275 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's a polishing compound from the Halls of Montezuma. Or was it a compound word in Polish from Monte Hall? Anayway, semper fool.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:


  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    581
    Thanks
    901
    Thanked 483 Times in 264 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    BTW I've always cleaned loco wheels by running them on a piece of toilet paper that is draped across the track with a few drops of isopropyl on it.
    Toilet paper will disintegrate and make a mess. Use coffee filters instead.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pugetopolis, WA
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks
    5,373
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 873 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    BTW I've always cleaned loco wheels by running them on a piece of toilet paper that is draped across the track with a few drops of isopropyl on it.
    I use a piece of old T-shirt.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,486
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,014
    Thanked 8,810 Times in 2,523 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How to clean the wheels want the question, should i replace them?

    or have any of you replaced old loco wheels? or do you just toil away cleaning them before and during every op?

    meanwhile i will try no-ox on the wheels. or maybe conductolube as suggested in earler post by mac

    oh, look what i found... http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...Oil-Dry-Grease

  7. #26
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,296
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 542 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    Haha... yeah I am one of the few people around here who believes in CRC 2-26

    Here is an article about conductive lubricants... https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/f...10_clean_2.pdf

    I think ultimately this is all about your grades, the length of trains, number of locos, etc... conductive lubricants work great but definitely reduce traction so it depends on what and how you run.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    southeast michigan
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    185
    Thanked 576 Times in 275 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    do you just toil away cleaning them before and during every op?
    Not every op, just if I see the headlight flicker or hesitation. And not exactly toiling. I rip off a square of TP, lay it on a straight section of track, drip isopropyl on one end to cover both rails, pick up loco, set speed to high, rerail it so one truck is on the TP, let the wheels spin, repeat with other truck, toss the TP, reset the speed and re-rail the loco. OK, maybe that sounds like a lot but it takes a minute. And its satisfying to see the black marks on the TP.

    I'm wondering if maybe those ridges help keep dirt from cutting the electrical pickup. Suppose the dirt gets pushed to the grooves so that the ridges still make contact. If that's the case then polishing will make it worse.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:


  10. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,486
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,014
    Thanked 8,810 Times in 2,523 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    Not every op, just if I see the headlight flicker or hesitation. And not exactly toiling. I rip off a square of TP, lay it on a straight section of track, drip isopropyl on one end to cover both rails, pick up loco, set speed to high, rerail it so one truck is on the TP, let the wheels spin, repeat with other truck, toss the TP, reset the speed and re-rail the loco. OK, maybe that sounds like a lot but it takes a minute. And its satisfying to see the black marks on the TP.

    I'm wondering if maybe those ridges help keep dirt from cutting the electrical pickup. Suppose the dirt gets pushed to the grooves so that the ridges still make contact. If that's the case then polishing will make it worse.
    Hmm, if ridges are there for what you say then mine are lacking in that department, maybe I'll look for new wheels

Similar Threads

  1. replace couplers Walthers well cars
    By Nattapon in forum Rollingstock
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th Mar 2013, 11:17 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th Feb 2013, 11:10 AM
  3. How to replace loco lights/LED's
    By craigbtrains in forum Diesel
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th Dec 2012, 03:49 AM
  4. How to replace a railroad overpass.
    By MooseID in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd Feb 2012, 02:52 PM
  5. How do I replace cheap couplers and trucks?
    By SlidellN in forum Rollingstock
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th Dec 2007, 08:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •