Thread: What Pulled Pullman-Branded Heavyweights?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 579 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Pulled Pullman-Branded Heavyweights?

So I picked up a set of these MTL Pullman Heavyweight Passenger Cars.

20180622_111402.jpg

Can someone please help with what types of locomotives and what roadnames would have pulled these?

It seems like Steams are more likely to have pulled heavyweights, specifically Pacifics (inc. K4s), Hudsons (inc. J3as), Light/Heavy Mountains, maybe an occasional 2-6-6-2 Mallet... However, the era of Pullmans and heavyweight passenger cars seem to also go into early diesel transition era, could I reasonably pull them with FTA-FTB? DL109? GG1? E6? E7? As far as roadnames it seems like everything from UP to PRR to NYC pulled Pullman passenger cars for a time...

Anyway, I am not overly strict about prototypical perfection (e.g., I know that these specific named passenger cars in this set only actually ran on specific railroads with specific locomotives) so I just want to stay somewhere in the realm of reason.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:-D
    I'd use an VM upgraded MP pacific.

VM

3. The Following User Says Thank You to victor miranda For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 841 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The short answer to your question is yes....

The longer answer is split into two parts... before and after 1948...

The way Pullman worked in the heavyweight era was that Pullman supplied cars to the railroads in exchange for a cut of the ticket sales. Most of these cars were sleeping cars, but there were parlor/lounge cars as well. In addition to the cars, Pullman also provided porters and lounge car attendants.

When lightweight cars started to come around, the railroads tended to want to purchase the cars, but Pullman only wanted to staff Pullman owned cars. There was a lawsuit over this, the details of which I am not clear of ( because I never have looked it up ), that resulted in a court ordered divestiture of most of Pullman’s car fleet that occurred in 1948.

After 1948, most sleeping cars were owned by the railroads and leased to Pullman for operation. Pullman managed the car fleet much like trailer train does with it’s fleet today. Cars were sent where they were needed, which might not have been on the owning road.

Many sleeping cars kept their Pullman paint and lettering after the divestiture, though there were roads that had some or all of their cars painted into their livery, if they were not already painted that way.

So those particular cars could be justified on any road that had sleeping car service from the 1930s to the 1960s ( all of the MTL Pullmans have air conditioning, which wasn’t installed until the 1930s.). You can also justify them for troop trains and special charters, such as Boy Scout trains, in the same era.
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 518 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd think that the number of cars would be a major factor in determining the motive power. If the consist is 4 or fewer cars, I'd think an Atlantic would be sufficient (if such a thing were actually available in N scale). With 5 cars, you'd probably want to go with a Pacific.

-Mark

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As with most equipment, as newer stuff comes on line, older equipment gets downgraded. So seeing heavyweights on a "name train" like the Empire Builder or a UP "Cities" train would not be very common (but not impossible), but a lot of Railroads continued using them on secondary runs or as fill-ins ( SP&S kept a heavyweight diner on hand in case of problems with their primary diner or for use on "specials"). The Milwaukee Road pushed a lot of theirs into Commuter service in the Chicago area. Many observation cars became Business cars for the Railroads. Baggage and RPO/express cars kept running till the end of passenger service. So they never really went away they just became less and less common.
    So as far as what to pull them with, anything that pulled passenger trains would be appropriate. A full heavyweight train would probably be best represented with steam power, but you could mix your heavyweights in to any passenger train and pull them with anything you want. Or use them for an excursion train.........SP&S used to pull their excursion trains with RS2s or GP9s with steam generators.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many photos of heavyweight CB&Q consists (including C&S and FW&D trains) being pulled by shiny new corrugated E5 locomotives. The Q took delivery of the E5s in 1940 and 1941, so there were many years before streamline equipment became prominent. I know Kato markets them as being used on the CZ, and they did occasionally appear, but pulling heavyweights was likely a greater usage over their lifetimes.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorsemanJack For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 450 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Soo Line pulled their share of them, usually but not always mixed in with their own cars. Which made for some odd looking color combos, tuscan red and pullman green....looked like Christmas! They used mainly Pacifics, though Northerns and Mountains hauled a few big passenger trains, and an assortment of things from 4-4-0's to Consolidateds and Mikes hauled them too. The Soo even had a couple of Atlantics. Diesels, only EMD F3's and F7's and GP9's with torpedoes hauled the varnish for the most part, although it's possible that a Baldwin here and there may have stood in. AFAIK the FA-1's never hauled passenger cars, nor did the Alcos.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 841 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MRLdave View Post
    but a lot of Railroads continued using them on secondary runs or as fill-ins
    A lot of railroads never owned very many lightweight cars.

As an example, The Frisco and Katy owned ( combined ) 4 trainset worth of lightweight cars ( 2 joint Texas Special Consists and 2 Frisco Meteor consists) about 60 cars total of all types.

It was found very early in the operation of the streamlined Texas Special that there was not enough time in the schedule to turn the train in San Antonio, so within months a third consist was constructed using heavyweight cars painted to match the lightweight equipment. After that point, cars from the Meteor and Texas Special ( including the heavyweights ) were mixed as required.

Other named trains on the two roads didn’t start to see streamlined passenger cars until late in the 1950s, and some of the heavyweight passenger carrying cars served the roads until the end of passenger service ( 1965 on the Katy and 1967 on the Frisco ).
    Last edited by pbender; 22nd Jun 2018 at 09:42 PM.
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 619 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a prototypical operator but do have the same set of cars, redone in my fictional railroad name, for my layout and pull them with my Bachmann Pacific 4-6-2 without any problem. I also use an F7 A/B combo when used as an excursion/dinner train.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was very informative! Thanks