Thread: Manufacturer Announcements at 2018 NSE Convention in Salt Lake City

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Manufacturer Announcements at 2018 NSE Convention in Salt Lake City

This is my first NSE convention and here's some of what I learned thus far.

Friday, June 22, 2018:
    Atlas acquired Walthers' toolings for locos and freight rolling stock. Paul Graf said this acquistion "fit into our plan, with little overlap in models." He expects to issue product announcements for these Walthers' toolings in late Q4. Please note this acquisition does not include the passenger rolling stock models, which were acquired by Lowell Smith.

ScaleTrains.com continues to add to its n-scale inventory and announced two new toolings, one for a loco (never done before in n-scale), the GE C39-8 engine and one for a freight car, the Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4785 ct covered hopper. As is typical for manufacturers at these kinds of shows, ScaleTrains.com also announced an NSE limited edition run of the Big Blow, complete with an NSE logo. Only 126 of these models will be made. Although this might seem like a fantasy run, because this logo (which Shane Wilson showed us) was actually placed on the real prototype #26 loco (albeit on a temporary basis via magnetic signage) that makes this model technically not a fantasy run.

IMG_2825.jpg IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3513.jpg
    IMG_2827 (1).jpg IMG_2828 (1).jpg

InterMountain announced a new loco tooling for the Dash 9 (GE C44-9W loco) model. As is customary with InterMountain, these models will come in DC, DCC and DCC with sound for each road number.
    IMG_2829.jpg

Prior to the show, ExactRail (as promised at the Amherst Train Show this winter) announced a new tooling, Johnstown America Autoflood II Hopper with removable coal loads.
    IMG_3499.jpg IMG_3493.jpg

Similar to its previous work with brand names (Heinz, Hershey, etc.)MicroTrains announced the Thomas Kinkade Freight Series. Different paintings from Kinkade, known as the Painter of Light, will adorn black box cars, a loco and a caboose. These paintings will be illuminated from within the car using led lights.
    IMG_3504 (1).jpg

Stay tuned: I have more manufacturers to visit and will report back. On Sunday, at the manufacturers' breakfast, Kato plans to announced six products, three of which will be new toolings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jenna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    On Sunday, at the manufacturers' breakfast, Kato plans to announced six products, three of which will be new toolings.

That's what I wanted to hear!!!! I can't wait. Maybe Christmas comes on June 24 this year?! (my list for Santa currently includes NCL, Twin Cities Zephyr, E5B and many others; hey, a guy can dream, right?)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about the pix not appearing above. I have tried to add the images I took at the show, but with no luck.
    Last edited by Jenna; 23rd Jun 2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: issues with pictures

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 523 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What, nothing from Fleischmann, Minitrix, Brawa, or Kato-Lemke?
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had never heard of "Kato-Lemke," but a quick Google introduced me to a part of the N scale world I was a stranger to.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    What, nothing from Fleischmann, Minitrix, Brawa, or Kato-Lemke?
    Being the only "foreign" manufacturers who showed up were Peter Harris with N Scale Kits and a German vehicle manufacturer...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 523 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorsemanJack View Post
    I had never heard of "Kato-Lemke," but a quick Google introduced me to a part of the N scale world I was a stranger to.
    Sort of like Kato USA, but for European railroading. Good quality stuff. My Thalys TGV, for example.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 857 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to put a couple of observations from my day at the public show today.

First, at the Fox Valley Models booth, I noticed Matt had some containers with Deluxe Innovations stamped on the bottom, so I asked him and out that. Fox Valley has purchased the tooling that Deluxe Innovations had, and they will be producing products from those molds. Matt mentioned that he doesn’t actually have access to ALL the tooling deluxe Innovations made products from, because some of it either doesn’t exist anymore, or is locked away in some Chinese factory. Matt did say the twin stacks would be re-released st some point, probablupy with improved tooling.

Second, I talked with Lowell Smith about the RailSmith line. He is excited to be able to produce what he can.

Peter Harris from n-scale kits has a new 40 foot thrall twinstack that should be available soon. Along with new versions of the fuel foiler.

I talked to most of the manufacturers, but some of that was just catching up.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to put a couple of observations from my day at the public show today.

First, at the Fox Valley Models booth, I noticed Matt had some containers with Deluxe Innovations stamped on the bottom, so I asked him and out that. Fox Valley has purchased the tooling that Deluxe Innovations had, and they will be producing products from those molds. Matt mentioned that he doesn’t actually have access to ALL the tooling deluxe Innovations made products from, because some of it either doesn’t exist anymore, or is locked away in some Chinese factory. Matt did say the twin stacks would be re-released st some point, probablupy with improved tooling.

Second, I talked with Lowell Smith about the RailSmith line. He is excited to be able to produce what he can.

Peter Harris from n-scale kits has a new 40 foot thrall twinstack that should be available soon. Along with new versions of the fuel foiler.

I talked to most of the manufacturers, but some of that was just catching up.
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 20th Century Limited with E7 is what Kato has announced for Quarter 2 of 2019.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhengisKong View Post
    The 20th Century Limited with E7 is what Kato has announced for Quarter 2 of 2019.
    Any news of the other 5 products? Or does that count as more than one ( train plus engines, A and B assumed )
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    Any news of the other 5 products? Or does that count as more than one ( train plus engines, A and B assumed )
    That's two. As reported elsewhere, other four were a) rerelease of Super Chief, b) rerelease of El Capitan, c) rerelease of ATSF F7s, d) ATSF PAs (presumably new tooling).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorsemanJack View Post
    That's two. As reported elsewhere, other four were a) rerelease of Super Chief, b) rerelease of El Capitan, c) rerelease of ATSF F7s, d) ATSF PAs (presumably new tooling).
    Ok, so nothing of interest

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    Ok, so nothing of interest
    I guess you're not an ATSF fan? LOL I am also interested in the ATSF PAs, assuming they tool the high mounted number board correctly. I'm not specifically an ATSF fan, but those war bonnet PAs are gorgeous, and I don't currently own any.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday June 24, 2018

The Manufacturers' Breakfast Buffet sponsored by Digitrax featured more than 20
    manufacturers of all shapes and sizes who discussed new available releases as well as
    new announcements.

Here are some highlights of what some of them reported.

North American Rail Car
    New tooling: a marine industry cylindrical hopper (known in Canada as the Trudeau (for the Prime Minister) hopper)
    Details to follow

N Scale Architect
    Re-tooling its fence line

Walthers
    Atlas may have purchased all loco and freight car toolings from Walthers
    but "I'm not going to work for Atlas; will stay in cheese land; not out of n-scale; we will still make our Cornerstone kits."

On the horizon: expect new announcements at the NMRA and Trainfest shows

Kato
    New tooling: Based on polling from customers, the company is now researching and plans to produce
    a 1950s version (lightweight) of the 20th Century Limited passenger train (each car in the set will be a new tooling).
    ETA: late 2019, early 2020.

Trainworx
    Two new toolings: Denver & Rio Grande Western switcher cabooses: Salt Lake City switch caboose and Utah State RR Museum Caboose
    ETA early 2019
    Both models were on display at the show and the plan was to have them available for the show but some kind of glitch didn't make that possible.

IMG_3554.jpgIMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    Nathan Sanders and Pat Sanders

Refurbished, more user-friendly website in the works (thanks to Pat's son, Nathan)

Atlas
    Walthers toolings acquisition
    Will continue to convert locos to DC with sound functionality and will produce BLMA detail parts in Q3/Q4 2019

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Kato
    New tooling: Based on polling from customers,
    Thanks Jenna. That part is dubious, as I have a hard time believing that a web poll that closed three weeks ago determined what Kato was planning to spend a large part of their R&D budget on.

I suspect that there's more to the story...…..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More from the Manufacturers' Breakfast Buffet....

MicroTrains
    Thomas Kinkade Freight Series. Different paintings from Kinkade, known as the Painter of Light, will adorn black box cars, a loco and a caboose. These paintings will be illuminated from within the car using led lights.

A non n-scale item (or z-scale for that matter) meant to attract younger folks to the hobby: The Trains of Time set. If you are familiar with the American Girl product line, this is similar but for trains. The first of the series is based on the worst circus train wreck in US history and will come with with everything needed to run a train.

Fox Valley
    New tooling: new 53' single well car. I believe no one has done this in n-scale before. (Kato does have an articulated 53' well car.)

N Scale Kits
    more 3D printing (of flat car loads)
    Plans to work with Tichy Trains and JTC (Jacksonville Termial Co.) on new products

Exact Rail
    At the swap-a-rama, the company featured its newly announced Johnstown America Autoflood II Hopper with removable coal loads with 8 paint schemes.

Chris was not at the breakfast but via Rich from Digitrax said: "Over the last 5 years, ExactRail has been slow
    in n-scale but that will change."
    Last edited by Jenna; 24th Jun 2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlas has single well 53’ cars coming as well.
    51FEA571-1E2D-4713-AB59-20B38BE44683.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet more from the Manufacturers' Breakfast Buffet....

Wheels of Time
    Talked about 3-D printed everyday work trucks. "They actually roll."

Custom Signal Systems (local to Utah)
    "We make things that people can't find commercially." Products accommodate layouts that use and don't use computers.

Eastern Seaboard Models
    New tooling: X-72 boxcar (Penn Central and Western Pacific) ETA end of 2018.

ScaleTrains.com
    Two new toolings: GE C39-8 engine and Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4785 cf covered hopper. ScaleTrains.com also mentioned an NSE limited edition run of the Big Blow, complete with an NSE 2018 logo.

Lowell Smith
    Will contiunue making Lowell Smith Signature Series special runs.
    Will, under RailSmith brand created based on acquired Walthers' passenger toolings/artwork, make limited quantities of these cars. These items will be ready-to-run and come in new road names/numbers.

George Howedell
    Just retired from the Post Office. Plans to slow down a bit but will do 2 special runs: MTL Southern Pacific 39' tank car
    (painted with special scheme for diesel fuel) and an InterMountain Santa Fe (Texas & Chief route) ice reefer.

Digitrax
    Informal polling of the audience: lots more folks were DCC vs analog. Mostly runners vs collectors were in attendance.
    "We appreciate all of you. Eventually you will come over to the dark side."

Expect new announcements at the NMRA show.

All blue ticket holders won a Digitrax decoder!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where does one find Goerge Howedell's stuff?
    Ed
    RF&P model railroaders
    T-trak

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ecfitzgerald View Post
    Where does one find Goerge Howedell's stuff?
    Direct contact. He has no website or Facebook. proto.nscale @ yahoo . com

He'll send you a catalogue with available stock and put you on his email list for future releases.