Thread: PWRS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PWRS

Hello all, as I'm relatively new to the hobby and live in the bush nowhere near towns, I need to do most of my train shopping on the internet. As I'm researching sites and suppliers I have come across PWRS Pacific Western Rail Systems. just wondering what people can tell me about them?

Thanks
    Darrell

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve bought stuff from them. Good group of people! Website is unusual, but you get used to it. They will walk you through it on the phone.
    Radon Gulch & Tortilla Flats Railway - the 'Good Gas' line! - a minor division of the Santa Fe Southern Railway Co. "Dust, gas and a lot of rocky stuff...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drbnc For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 589 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever you do, don't give them your phone number. My experience is that they can be kind of pushy and aggressive.

-Mark

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They have some great products, but they are rude and arrogant. I have had multiple bad experiences with them.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,352 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're on Moose's do-not-order-from list for poor website & non-responsiveness to email inquiries...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have some nice stuff such as the NARC cars that are not found elsewhere. The website is definitely archaic and you get the MSRP prices unless you become a porters member and then you have to specify what brands you want the discount on and I have had them drop the discount before for no reason at all necessitating a call and time to rectify it. IF they didn't have the NARC stuff I probably would not shop with them. They have been accommodating and nice to deal with on the phone but their digital presence leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,237 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What are you looking for ? I have some special run CP sets for sale . Nice cars

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    They're on Moose's do-not-order-from list for poor website & non-responsiveness to email inquiries...
    Sounds like stampedin' motivation to me!

I've never ordered from them. Don't like their website, either.
    Paul Schmidt

Southern Railway's Slate Fork Branch

Proud member of the Milwaukee Road Historical Association and the Southern Railway Historical Association

Check out Appalachian Railroad Modeling!

Did l mention that I still like the SP&S?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boy oh boy lots of neg for that place huh . probably should run as fast as can away.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I signed up, I had the impression they catered more to the distributor than to private people - this "when would it be convenient for us to call you?" stuff. Actually, they spent about an hour explaining to me how to navigate their website, and they did it through google Voice or Skype, because "it's so expensive to call overseas" (like the time your guy spends explaining is free?)

But I never ordered anything, only signed up because they had some articles marked "back ordered" that most others had marked "sold out". Turns out their "back ordered" was the same as other peoples' "sold out".

Heiko

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The first time I did business with them I ordered 2 cars. I like to sample before I invest a larger amount. Their obsolete webpage didn’t let me know one of the cars was on backorder. I got a receipt for two cars. I paid $15 for shipping (it’s Canada, I get it). The amount pulled from my account was less than the receipt I had was smaller. No message from PWRS. One car arrived. With no heads up, TWO YEARS LATER they call me up and tell me they were trying to process my card again but it didn’t work (I have my international charging turned off for protection). They wanted to charge me for the second car AND another $15 for shipping. These cars are nice, but not $40 each nice. I told them to keep the second car.

Time passed, I decided to try them again. I placed another order. Something didn’t process correctly on the transaction. Don calls me up (I know him personally from my old NTrak club, so this should be a fairly friendly conversation). He leaves a message telling me it is my responsibility to call them between 2 and 2:30 that afternoon in a snotty tone. Piss off. I’m the customer.

I went to their presentation at the Sacramento NSE convention. They bragged about how they are jerks to their customer. They actually pride themselves for it. I have shared these stories many times. We have so many great companies to pick from. I’ll take my business elsewhere.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve had a similar experience a bunch of years ago, not awful but just not great customer service. Their website is hard to navigate and when I tried to order something, they insisted that I listen to an hour-long discussion of the rules of being a member in their buying program (or something like that). Not worth the time or energy. The only advantage I can see is if you model Canadian railroads, that is a main focus of theirs. There are many excellent internet suppliers, if you don’t have a hobby shop nearby, including my favorite, Fifer Hobby Supply, where the customer service is spectacular.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the info, I already deal with a small number of suppliers both in Canada and the US. Quick plug here for Steve at Model Railways Import in St Catharines, I'm using peco track and I have found they have great service, I order on a Monday and have had product in my rural box by Friday numerous times (of course that part is up to Canada Post), Good prices and in stock. Fifer Hobby have been good for me as well, we are in the States a lot and can ship to a business that accepts parcels for Canadians at the Border, helps to save on Taxes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 857 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I’ve had a similar experience a bunch of years ago, not awful but just not great customer service. Their website is hard to navigate and when I tried to order something, they insisted that I listen to an hour-long discussion of the rules of being a member in their buying program (or something like that). Not worth the time or energy.
    I was able to get them to skip most of the presentation after I told them what I do for a living. The most archaic thing about the website is that you can’t set your own password, they do that as part of the phone call.

I think I did receive one order from them, but the whole reason I had ordered something from them in the first place was they listed something I needed as backordered that everyone else had listed as out of stock... I never have received what I initially ordered. I recently received an e-mail from them that my credit card on file had expired. I won’t be updating my account with a new card.

Fortunately, I have a local hobby shop again, so I don’t need to pre-order everything from internet dealers. Like I did when I was living in Louisiana.
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post: