Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 545 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Athearn 30' wood caboose

I saw, quite by chance, that modeltrainstuff had Soo Line wooden cabeese in 3 different road numbers in the form of a 30' foot wood sided Athearn RTR unit for about $17 each. Figuring that these things tend to be here today, gone tomorrow, I ordered one of each road number.

Being that decals for the wood sided caboose for Soo are nonexistent in a single-sheet form and that it's a real pain in the arse to come up with them, I found this pretty exciting.

They arrived yesterday. Out of the box, all three coupled up and rolled around just fine. I haven't had time to check wheel gauge yet, but none of them were tripped up in crossovers anywhere on the layout. The detailing looks nice, lettering and decals are great.

Only complaint is that the end railings were fairly badly bent on one and somewhat bent on another. Fortunately, I could carefully straighten them back out with no issue.

They're not 100% prototypically correct but very close to a design that Soo used. It wouldn't take much to make them correct. Mostly, the cupola would need to be moved forward slightly, but I don't think it's worth the work involved.

For anyone wanting to try to create a decal set for repainting a wood caboose that you already have, you need the Soo Steam decal set from Microscale 60-1136 and the Extended Roman White 70011 set. For the logo, 'sharpie' two of the four small "Soo Line" decals black on the Steam set, wait a bit, then apply, then when those are well-set, apply the other two over the top. Or, you can make a stencil for the shape of the parallelogram and apply black paint, then apply the decals. For the lettering, it's one letter at a time, working with a magnifier, toothpick and tweezers. Enough to drive a man mad. Which is why I was damned happy to see these from Athearn! Paint, use Testors Enamel Flat red for the sides, flat yellow for the grab rails (and ends if you're doing a late red caboose) and flat black for the roof. Silver for the stove pipe.

I'll probably add some details to these once I get full scale back in the swing of things. Pics forthcoming.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I will say a couple more things about these cabeese. They track wonderfully and stay coupled. Great cabeese.

They have one flaw, and that is that the plastic is a tad translucent, making them look a little toylike. However, I plan on painting the interior with that standard caboose bluish grey...or at least it was standard on the Soo Line. That should keep light from coming through them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Athearn/MDC wood caboose can be chopped up and rearranged to closely resemble the most common Soo caboose. The stock cupola roof was overlaid with .015 styrene to create the proper contour and styrene was added to the bottom to obtain the correct height.

TSoo Caboose from MDC Athearn.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lesferge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wowsers! Thanks!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

What did you make those cables/turnbuckles with?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,673 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a very similar process to kitbash some Atlas 36' Santa Fe-style cabeese into something more proportionally similar to N&W CF or CG cars. I wasn't going for a specific prototype, as these are for my fictional short line; I just wanted something with a more centered but offset cupola. I did the same thing: reverse a portion including the cupola, and discard one rivet-panel's worth to make a 33' car. I'm pretty happy having some unique cabeese in my fleet!

Just wish mine looked as good as yours, @lesferge

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks really good!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cupola braces can be made of phosphor bronze wire; I used size 00 insect pins (I was an entomologist), which are black enameled and handy for all kinds of handrails, stirrups etc. The undercarriage truss rods/turnbuckles came with the caboose, with the ends shortened slightly to fit the underframe. The underframe was cut at each bolster and each end of the middle section trimmed to length. The prototype caboose body is 26 feet long.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lesferge For This Useful Post: