Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 843 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbnc View Post
    @wombat457 Three-foot or nearsighted rule! That's me...
    That works for me as well - especially as I will most likely be the only one who sees them running anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mrodtoo View Post
    I may be pushing this issue and getting to the point of non-sense, but I'll write it.
    If everyone knows and you purchase the low end product, why make the effort to improve it? I would think the cost, time, and effort to do so would equal the higher end product if not more. Just my perception. I could be wrong and it might be the hobbyist preference to customize. Excuse me if I offend.
    No offence taken ... You may well be right when you say it may cost more to buy cheap and rebuild, it usually does. My first option was the MT 2 Bay Hopper sets; however, they are on back order and I wont pay for something I have wait to become available. I was also a little impatient in wanting some 2 Bay Hoppers so I was prepared to buy cheap and (if needed) spend the extra to make them look better.

It might be cheaper, in the long run, to buy top end stuff off the bat; however, maybe some people can't afford to do that and find it easier to part with smaller amounts of money two or three times than one larger amount all at once. Don't know, just thinking about some reasons.

My normal philosophy is to buy the best that can be bought right from the word go ... that just wasn't possible (right now) for these that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    It’s too bad they don’t make Master Line 2 Bay Hoppers.
    It is, they make larger hoppers in the Master Line such as the Trinity. Some 2 bays might be good and give MT some real competition.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I'll have to kinda sorta halfway disagree with ya there. These 2 bays are under the Atlas Trainman line and are cheaper in price and lacking finer details. If you look under their Master Line products you'll find that the majority of those have finer molded details and walkways, etc. I've many of the Master Line cars and they look right at home with the other manufacturers offerings.
    Your right, they are Trainman, the low end atlas product. That probably should have been made clear from the outset. Never had a Master Line item so I can't talk about the differences in quality or detail.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Napping instead of posting pictures???!!! Watch it, you'll open your eyes and there'll be a big moose standing over ya'.
    Well, not so much napping, just waking up enough to drive 4 hours without falling asleep at the wheel The GOOD news is - there were no "Moose" or "Meese" bearing down upon me when I did get some sleep and woke up
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    Donít take this the wrong way, but itís modeling. I donít care if I buy an entry level car or a high end car, Iím always going to look for a way to improve them. Entry level cars are great for learning and practicing different modeling techniques on. No point in practing on a $30 car when you can hone your skills on a $10 car. Once you have the skill dialed in, then apply it to the higher priced cars.

Iíve also taken $9 cars, done $7s in work on them and run them next to a $30 car and they look good together. Some people can do some really nice things on a budget.
    Very good points ... the cars I bought were only $9.99 each - top end cars are what $25 - $35 each? You could do a lot of "upgrades" for $15 - $25 per car.

Good point about using cheap cars to "practice/hone" your skills on as well. I'd rather trash a $10 car than a $30 one. Actually, I'd rather not trash any if the truth be told. This was the secondary reason I bought the cars - to "learn how to" detail and upgrade one so I might be able to add to others down the track.

As said though, these Trainman Hoppers don't look as bad in person as they do in pictures. Would be/might be nice to have higher quality one to compare them to though, be it an MT or even Master Line. Perhaps when seen next to a better model, they wont look as good as I think they do.
    Cheers Tony

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 508 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    Very good points ... the cars I bought were only $9.99 each - top end cars are what $25 - $35 each? You could do a lot of "upgrades" for $15 - $25 per car.
    It's been a while since I bought any top end cars (or more precisely since I paid for any top end cars... a friend still hasn't gotten around to telling me how much I owe him for the Athearn LPG tank cars he brought back from the US for me) but my guess would be more in the $20-$25 range (street price, not MSRP).

Still, a significant amount.

But let me add another aspect: It's also about picking your fights (or setting your priorities). (Probably) nobody can get a room-sized layout with CTC and automation and operation and all weathered and prototypically correct rolling stock and locos with sound decoders and super-detailed Trainman cars and lit buildings and road vehicles and hand-laid track done in a year. So do you trade more expense for less time to spend per car? Different prototype for more money?

Everyone will have to find their own sweet spot. Me, I'm happy to spend $250 for a ten car train if I don't have to fiddle with body-mounting couplers and replacing wheelsets on a $100 train. I'd rather spend the time building and landscaping modules or developing WiFi-throttles, but that's just me.

YMMV,
    Heiko

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    Me, I'm happy to spend $250 for a ten car train if I don't have to fiddle with body-mounting couplers and replacing wheelsets on a $100 train.
    Ditto to that if you want rolling stock that's ready to go.
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    Ditto to that if you want rolling stock that's ready to go.
    I don’t think there are any cars I would consider “ready to go” right out of the box. Even the higher end cars need to have the trip pins trimmed, wheel gauge checked and checked for rolling friction (I swap everything to metal wheels and I still have to check for a good roll). And that doesn’t even cover the fact that I need to weather everything before it goes on the layout. Throwing something one the layout without tuning it is just asking for trouble.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline