Thread: Passenger car interiors?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Passenger car interiors?

I'm building some resin kits at the moment which do not have interiors, including cafe-lounge-solariums and diners. Fun, tricky stuff. I'm not going to light them. I'm wonderi what people have done to add custom interiors to their cars, as well as a super basic question - if there's no interior and no lighting, is it noticeable to paint the interior the correct colour for the railway?
    N scale CPR Kootenay Division, started May 2011!
    Youtube channel: (MRR, Vlogs, Railway vids!) http://www.youtube.com/user/KootenayDivision
    Blog about the railway and methods used: http://kootenaymodelrailway.wordpress.com/ (Updated May 18th)
    Oh, and I take photos, too! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=9296

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have 1 little old combine coach. Haven't painted the interior and it's not all that noticeable either. A fleet of kitbashed SW1200s, on the other hand, had the cab windows brushed with Tamiya 'smoke' and it dulled the windows effectively dulling the windows but still with a shine from the outside.
    Cheers,

Russ

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 619 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russ,

I believe shapeways has passenger car interiors; however, if your not going to light them detailing the interior may or may not be all that noticeable, especially if you are using "smoke" on the windows.

The only cars I have detailed the interiors of were the MTL Heavy weight Pullmans I did and all they needed was painting. I did look at some of the shapeways stuff for another car but thought the cost and work required was a little too much to justify the end result.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, i don't bother with interiors on anything smaller that HO, that's why i darken the windows.
    Cheers,

Russ

Thanks
    Thanked 3,546 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Order some Kato passenger car interiors. Chop them up and arrange as necessary. Paint them to your liking.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 579 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just recently saw a post talking about how in some Tomix cars you can flip the seats internally just like passengers do with the the real ones when the train is going in the other direction -- not quite the mini-mechanical feat that it sounds like (the whole section of seats simply pops off, you reverse them, and put them back in). Anyway, some folks are paying attention to these levels of details -- although should be noted that these Tomix cars have BIG windows....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, sorry trainboy-h and Russ, got the "OP" a little mixed up.
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, unless you're modelling a dome car, no one is going to see the interior of an N scale passenger car at normal viewing distance, lighted or not. Myself I'd put that time, effort & money into more noticeable details.

But in answer to your question, somewhere I read (probably MR, and probably in HO) you can can simply make seats, tables & stuff out of Evergreen styrene bits, with passengers being any figures with their legs cut off. At this point yeah, try to match the interior color as close as you can. Other than the people this would be a pretty cheap way to accomplish what you want.

Or just smoke out the windows as others here have suggested. I might use this in the future.

BTW I'm in Calgary too.

Keith
    The Northern Alberta Railways, once the 3rd largest railway in Canada.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,952 Times in 821 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As amazing as it sounds, even with the lighting off, the interior painted stuff in my MT heavyweights is noticeable through the windows. Mostly just what is right by the window, but then, when the lights are on, it is all obvious. Especially when viewing the train at or just above eye level. Pics later.
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 473 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have detailed the interiors of some of my trains (my layout is almost exclusively passenger service). Detailing includes painting walls, floors, table tops, adding people, beverages, lighting, etc. It is a very rare person at a show who notices any of this. A child might exclaim about the tiny people, but adults seldom look that closely.

So, why do I bother? For my own satisfaction. I get pleasure doing it and also from knowing the details are there.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riderfan View Post
    In my opinion, unless you're modelling a dome car, no one is going to see the interior of an N scale passenger car at normal viewing distance, lighted or not.
    Not quite true ... As with badlandnp I detailed and lit all of my MT Heavy Weight cars, except the RPO, and the interiors are noticeable through the windows and more so when they are lit. You are right though when you say it is a lot of (fiddly) work to do the interiors; however, I think that work/effort was worth it for the end result for me.
    Cheers Tony

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided that for the time being I'll just paint the interiors tan, I can always add more later My modeling is nowhere near advanced enough anyway. Might as well limit my losses when everything goes to crap as it usually does!
    N scale CPR Kootenay Division, started May 2011!
    Youtube channel: (MRR, Vlogs, Railway vids!) http://www.youtube.com/user/KootenayDivision
    Blog about the railway and methods used: http://kootenaymodelrailway.wordpress.com/ (Updated May 18th)
    Oh, and I take photos, too! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=9296

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trainboyh16-44 For This Useful Post: