Thread: Weekend Update (20th Jul 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (20th Jul 2018)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 20th Jul 2018).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 549 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built a couple of kits (Woodland Scenics "Rustic Barn" and Walthers "Van Dyke Farm Windmill") for an eventual abandoned farm scene -

Planted some more grass and and put down some more driveways -

Wired up some more lights -

And added a little detailing to the Co-Op -

Your turn

-Mark

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My arduino and string of 240 programmable LEDs arrived midweek. I've been spending my evenings brushing up my C programming, experimenting with what colors make good daytime, sunset, and night illumination, and learning how to pass messages between the arduino and the computer via the serial port.
    There's a significant software project yet to be coded, for actually controlling the layout.

Eventually I hope to have a family of arduini controlling my lighting, my signals, my switch machines, and my power routing. I already have CTI Train-Brain hardware in hand for detection and virtual throttles, so I'll probably use those rather then rolling my own for EVERYthing.

Also took my new toys that arrived this week (F7AB pair and a dozen freight cars) out of their boxes and put them on the test track. Was stymied by a gondola that derailed every time around the track... until I turned it over and saw one axle had popped out of its socket and was pointing a random direction every time it hit a curve. Was much happier after I got it pushed back into place.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siegmund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a productive weekend finally finished up the ground cover on the lumber camp now just some details to paint up like people and crates and it will be ready to fit it into place.

Robert

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rwslater For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,861 Times in 2,536 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far so good -- seem to have successfully repaired the eccentric pin on my Arnold 2277 -

The rear left one is the one I fixed. The centering of the repaired eccentric pin actually is more stable than the stock ones (take that for what is is worth). The repaired eccentric pin sticks out a bit further than the stock ones but I only notice this with my magnifier or reading glasses.

Still need to replace the ladder, railing on back top, and whistle but wanted to see if I could get it running first. Also a small bit of damage on the side of rear door that I only noticed once I started looking at close-up pictures. If I can paint the ladder with a decent matching yellow then I may decide to touch-up the paint over there.

20180723_181726.jpg

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still in the testing of the track work on my layout, since I'm impatient, lets buy more locomotives before I have a layout working, I had to have two new sets of FP4's. They arrived two weeks ago and this weekend was the first chance to see how my track work was. The A units took every inch of track in all directions but the B units had a problem on one turnout, it seems that the front trucks of both B units want to travel down the diverging track. Both B's responded the same on this one turnout 90 percent of the time, while coupled with the A unit's or running on their own. Now I thought none of my rolling stock, non of my other 4 Loco's( make that 6 now with the A units) had this problem it has to be the design of the B's not my track work right what could I do wrong, ok if it was one B maybe it would be that unit but not 2 B's ( reminds me of too Bee or not too Bee, oops bad humour) Long story short I worked on the turnout a little and found that if I banked the diverging side a hair, the problem went away. So I had to set for the next 6 hours watching my FP4's go around and around the layout to confirm problem solved.... in the end not a bad way to spend a day...

Darrell

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 329 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    but the B units had a problem on one turnout, it seems that the front trucks of both B units want to travel down the diverging track.
    I'll bet if you checked the wheels sets with a gauge, the will be narrow.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

DBR